Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
dlwood

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009 Hbk
Bolt identification

Hi there,

I was doing an oil change on my 2009 Yaris Hatchback (Auto) recently. This was my third time doing it. I completed the change successfully in the end.

However, when I first went under the car, in a moment of madness I loosened the wrong bolt. The one in question was a silver bolt directly next to the oil filter. It must have been the same size, because it fit the same socket. Upon loosening it, there was a liquidy bubbling, a release of some oil, and a chemical smell.

I realized my mistake within a few seconds and closed it again, but I wanted to figure out what exactly I did and whether it could be a problem. There was a noticeable amount of oil in the catch pan, but not a large amount by motor oil standards.

I tried to find a diagram online or something to identify it, but I haven't been able to. The manual doesn't seem to have that level of detail either.

If anyone could tell me what I opened, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
dlwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
From the sound of it, I would guess you found the bottom of the A/C compressor and let some gas out. Was the oily stuff dyed yellow?

So long as it is tight (whatever bolt it is), you haven't done any harm. If it is the A/C, you may want to get the pressure checked.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #3
dlwood

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2009 Hbk
I believe it was yellow. So it sounds like that's probably it then.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease. :)
dlwood is offline   Reply With Quote