Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
monkeydave

Drives: 2016 yaris icon
possible problem with timing chain

i seem to be having a timing chain noise before the car is fully up to temp but the thing is the car started with this noise around the 3000 mile mark and now with 8500 miles is a year old so way to early for this kind of thing

the car is normal sounding when up to temp, it has been in to the dealers twice and despite hearing something when i am showing the tech, the next day says all is normal

i paid for a new belt tensioner and belt as the pulley was making some noise up close and now it seems to be on the chain side of things

here is a sample video and stay for the end as i take the oil cap off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5JLjGHJAU

the noise is a little shhh shhh noise at start and then it goes quiet for a 3 mins and then comes back for 10 to 15 mins and then goes quiet until the next start up

the tech did say something about the timing chain tensioner but the next day everything is ok and says car is normal, this is after two trips to the dealer

the car has plenty of power and runs smoothly and has good mpg, it also does not use any oil or coolant and the noise has not changed after the oil was chained on the first service at 6500 miles with 0 20 oil at the dealers

thanks for your help guys

Last edited by monkeydave; 01-02-2018 at 01:55 PM.
monkeydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Looks like the alternator has a "over running clutch" , sometimes they are noisy. Try running it without the belt briefly.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:59 PM   #3
monkeydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
Looks like the alternator has a "over running clutch" , sometimes they are noisy. Try running it without the belt briefly.
thanks for the reply

i have removed the belt myself for a min and there is still some noise, the car is quiet for the first 3 mins of running from cold and then the noise appears for 10-15 mins before going perfect smooth again and you cant hear it when you are driving and can only hear it when idling if the window is down or outside of the car

the main dealer says nothing is wrong, but i bet it is a case of it still runs so they cant be bothered to do anything about it
Old 01-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I'd take the accessory belt off and run it for 30 seconds. It could be the pulley on your alternator like the other poster suggested (I've seen them go bad on several other Toyota's) and Toyota had issues with the water pump bearings going bad for years. I'd rule those out before suspecting the chain. You've still got a few years left on your warranty. If the chain is defective, chances are it will grenade long before your warranty is up.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Yaris engine noise

2007 2-door hatch Yaris is a noisy car...maybe Toyota considered/expected a buyer demographic that likes hearing exhaust tone and intakes? For me, quiet tires are a real benefit.
There can be a shhh shhh noise generated at a belt-pulley interface.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #6
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Can you hear it inside the car ?
There are some noises from the engine bay that are considered normal.

There are two kinds of 0w-20 toyota oils. One for hybrids and one for the 1.2 turbo engine. I would use the second one or the 5w-40 full synthetic toyota/lexus blend.
I have had many 1.33 's as company cars and trust me the only thing they dont like as engines is stop and go traffic and lack of maintenance.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #7
monkeydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp13 View Post
Can you hear it inside the car ?
There are some noises from the engine bay that are considered normal.

There are two kinds of 0w-20 toyota oils. One for hybrids and one for the 1.2 turbo engine. I would use the second one or the 5w-40 full synthetic toyota/lexus blend.
I have had many 1.33 's as company cars and trust me the only thing they dont like as engines is stop and go traffic and lack of maintenance.
you can only hear it inside the car with the windows down and on the first service the dealer put in 0w20 oil but when the engine is fully up to temp the engine sounds perfect