Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #37
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp View Post
Not everyone lives in California, so carb approval wouldn't matter to the other 49 states as well as Canada.

Japanese parts will always be more expensive then American parts, that is a really bad comparison. How many supercharged Yaris/Vitz are there going to be in the entire world compared to how many supercharged small blocks from ford or chevy are there? Quantity and production cost owns everything.
I agree that there are economies of scale at work here. A $3500 power adder on a $13000 car is expensive no matter how you look at it.

If it was around $2500 I'd have a hard time NOT buying one.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #38
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I think the biggest issue I have is finding an appropriate installer to install the supercharger.

I'm all for DIY projects, but something of this nature makes me want to leave it to professionals.

How difficult is it for a capable mechanic to install a SC kit such as this for the Yaris?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #39
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
That wasn't really my point though. If you are going to spend that kind of cash, you should look at going turbo. The gains will be better for the money.

100% agree!! Never been a fan of superchargers. Until someone comes up with one that is ran by an electric motor and not ran off of the engine. Even still I'm turbo through and through.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 PM   #40
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
I think the biggest issue I have is finding an appropriate installer to install the supercharger.

I'm all for DIY projects, but something of this nature makes me want to leave it to professionals.

How difficult is it for a capable mechanic to install a SC kit such as this for the Yaris?
If you ask me...my .02$ This is a bolt on kit. There is nothing that should be extra nor removed. Its meant to be thrown on and work. That said, I see this being a fairly easy job for any competent mechanic. My advise would be to find a mechanic friend who wouldnt mind helping and supervising one weekend so you will have the professional knowledge needed yet still learn while your at.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM   #41
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
Well then, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get enough money for any and all future mods. Thanks for all the help and info.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #42
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Interesting...

I'm going to stay the heck away from this one. I can see the lines of people coming into the Toyota dealership crying because their vehicle is broken...and Toyota saying, "too bad, so sad". Best of luck to everyone who tries this though. Believe me, I'm a fan of boost, just not of the aftermath on an improperly installed power-adder. You know it'll happen!

Buyer beware. You'll pay to play in more ways than one.

I just can't justify the minor gains of the supercharger. You're not even going to have a 14 second car. For the same cost as a used SRT-4.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #43
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
If Blitz can do it without a bad after-effect, so can we (me and anyone else who going to install S/C later)
Old 11-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #44
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
So to get a blitz supercharger to work in our Yaris's then we need to completely beef up our engines for them to withstand the extra 2 Psi that it cant take.?_?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #45
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyprwlf47 View Post
So to get a blitz supercharger to work in our Yaris's then we need to completely beef up our engines for them to withstand the extra 2 Psi that it cant take.?_?
uhmm u opened up an old thread tons of people here has the blitz sc actually made for yaris.. approx 30 whp increase.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 12:07 PM   #46
rpalai

Drives: 2008 NEW Yaris 2-door Liftback
Blitz Supercharger System

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
Anyone install a Blitz supercharger on their Yaris yet? Just curious.
Hi! YES, I have installed the Blitz Supercharger on my late 2008 Yaris 2-dr liftback S-model 5-speed. LOVE IT!! Makes car fast and a lot of fun to drive. Instant response! You do lose about 5 mpg, however. But oh well, that's the price we all have to pay for having fun! It is worth it! I ALSO PUT ON THE 2009 S-model body kit as well. Change the entire looks of the car. OIt is hot looking now! Go to www.cardomain.com and type in
rpalais in the search bar and it swill take you to my garage page where you can see many of my other cars including the Yaris. Click on each car pic to see more pics.

If you ave any other questions, pls feel free to email me at rpalais@tampabay.rr.com I prefer this way rather than forum messaging.

Thanks! Rich Palais
rpalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:55 PM   #47
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Rich,

This is the first I've seen of your Yaris. I love the look! Not much to say about the supercharger other than I'm glad you're still liking it.

Long
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:45 AM   #48
rpalai

Blitz causing audible Detonation at high throttle use.

Hello! I have read yours and the other various commentaries about the Blitz Supercharger System. I have one of these in my 2008 Yaris 2Dr Liftback 5-speed for over 9 months now and I have been quite pleased with it. I feel that it delivers just enough performance to make the car a lot of fun to drive, while maintaining reliability, hopefully, longevity and overall still good economy as well. I would not suggest modifying nor tampering with it as a bunch of very intelligent automotive engineers in Japan have built this system to perform the way it should and they know a lot more about it than I do, or most other people do.

But just one thing I have been encountering lately concerns me. Since the installation, the car has had more than enough performance to allow me to drive it without having to mash the throttle too far. Well, the other day, in order to safely pass a slower moving vehicle, I did have to press down on the throttle more than I normally would do (still NOT floored) and I heard for the first time, BAD audible DETONATION! Yikes! I backed off the throttle a little and of course, it went away thank GOD! While it is entirely possible that I could have had a bad tank of Premium fuel, still it is not likely. I am concerned that perhaps the controller is not allowing enough fuel enrichment to happen at high throttle angles to prevent Detonation? Not sure. I HAVE periodically put a jar of Injector Cleaner in the tank to help keep fuel flowing properly through the injectors..

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I have read about one or two reported cases of lean fuel conditions with the Blitz controller at higher throttle use, but not by everyone who has this system. Does anyone know of a viable fix for this if it happens to be a fuel controller issue or anything else? I ALWAYS run Chevron High Test fuel and add octane boost periodically. I would REALLY appreciate ANYTHING at all that anyone can provide w/regards to sending me information about this issue. If it is easier, my email is rpalais@tampabay.rr.com, which I'd actually prefer to use even though I love the forum!
Thank you!
rpalai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruyume View Post
the theoratical ideal compression ratio after boost is 12~14:1
the stock engine is about 10.5 to 11:1 depend on ca or us or jp model.

if u have a 6psi of boost ur engine will be around 16:1 compression ratio. that will be increase of thermal efficiency, required intercooler. and low compression ratio. usually a 8:1 compression piston, will be able to work with a 8~12 PSI of boost. but still wut getting into your engine is about 14:1 compression ratio.

to get over that u will need reenforced con-rod and crank and probably cylinder sleeves

so in conclusion:
if u want HP not just get more boost, i need to get ur engine to ideal compression ratio (NOT more boost = more HP)

Last edited by rpalai; 09-17-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling errors and typo's
Old 09-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #49
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i believe one of the fixes for detonation is using fuel injectors from a 1zzfe engine. theyre relatively easy to come by used on places like newcelica.org. i think the problem is that there isnt enough fuel being sprayed by the 1nzfe injectors so you get detonation at wide open throttle (WOT)
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #50
rpalai

Hello. I have a Blitz Supercharger on my 2008 Yaris 2 Dr Liftback

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrsdrgn View Post
Anyone install a Blitz supercharger on their Yaris yet? Just curious.
Yes, I most definitely DO have a Blitz Supercharger in my 2008 Yaris. Did it when I first bought the new car back in very late 2008. It is a fully optioned and loaded 2-Dr Lifback in Red. I LOVE IT!!! The Blitz SC is definitely a nice perfomance upgrade that wakes up the little 1.5 4-banger. Also have the
5-speed. LOVE IT LOVE IT!! NO weenie-matics here. No way! Never! I own 10 cars. All of them are sticks (5 of them are SC'd or Turbo) except for my 2003 Montana Van and my fully-built 1979 Pontiac LeMans Safari Wagon set up as a GTO w/a GTO 400 cid and Holley digital 4Di EFI and a 700 R4 with B&M lock-up kit. Car is a stump puller and a screamer. Almost converted to a stick, but the 700 R4 is nice w/ the higher stall converter and shift kit. Custom headers as well. Really nice car, but a gas guzzler no doubt.

Also put in the Megan header at the advice of Garm of Cali Yaris. I also purchased the Blitz SC from him as well. I highly reccommend Garm. He is a great guy and is very honest and good to do business with. Also added a boat-load of suspension and handling upgrades. So now, the Yaris also really handles nice around turns. No leaning, etc. I can be more specific if you are interested. NGo to www.cardomain.com and type in rpalais in the search bar upper right of page and it will take you right to my garage page as it is called. Enjoy! rpalai
Old 08-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #51
rpalai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
i believe one of the fixes for detonation is using fuel injectors from a 1zzfe engine. theyre relatively easy to come by used on places like newcelica.org. i think the problem is that there isnt enough fuel being sprayed by the 1nzfe injectors so you get detonation at wide open throttle (WOT)
OK. Sounds good and I certainly am willing to try it. I have since solved a good deal of the detonation issue, but still on rare occasion, I do still have a drop of it. I wonder, does the Yaris motor have a knock sensor that pulls out timing upon sensing detonation? Anyone know about this?

Please tell me how adversely the larger injectors that you suggest will negatively reduce fuel economy? Just wondering. I would expect some, but I'd still like to know more about this.

Thanks!
rpalai
Old 08-24-2010, 02:09 AM   #52
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
rpalai, good to see you man! The Yaris does have a knock sensor.

I'm not sure about the fuel economy with the larger injectors, but it stands to reason that it would be affected to some extent.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:57 AM   #53
zachryboles
Chunk love Yarii

Drives: 2008 Silver 3DR Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpalai View Post
Yes, I most definitely DO have a Blitz Supercharger in my 2008 Yaris. Did it when I first bought the new car back in very late 2008. It is a fully optioned and loaded 2-Dr Lifback in Red. I LOVE IT!!! The Blitz SC is definitely a nice perfomance upgrade that wakes up the little 1.5 4-banger. Also have the
5-speed. LOVE IT LOVE IT!! NO weenie-matics here. No way! Never! I own 10 cars. All of them are sticks (5 of them are SC'd or Turbo) except for my 2003 Montana Van and my fully-built 1979 Pontiac LeMans Safari Wagon set up as a GTO w/a GTO 400 cid and Holley digital 4Di EFI and a 700 R4 with B&M lock-up kit. Car is a stump puller and a screamer. Almost converted to a stick, but the 700 R4 is nice w/ the higher stall converter and shift kit. Custom headers as well. Really nice car, but a gas guzzler no doubt.

Also put in the Megan header at the advice of Garm of Cali Yaris. I also purchased the Blitz SC from him as well. I highly reccommend Garm. He is a great guy and is very honest and good to do business with. Also added a boat-load of suspension and handling upgrades. So now, the Yaris also really handles nice around turns. No leaning, etc. I can be more specific if you are interested. NGo to www.cardomain.com and type in rpalais in the search bar upper right of page and it will take you right to my garage page as it is called. Enjoy! rpalai
Holy old thread revival Batman!!!!
06 Vette, 08 Cobalt SS, ?? Civic Del Sol, 10 Audi TT
zachryboles is offline   Reply With Quote