Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-20-2015, 11:04 AM   #109
maralieus

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris s
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
Thanks for the support!

Because this project was a auto > manual trans conversion also, we used the Xd manual trans and axles. Ive heard from many sources that the 1nz and 2zr bell housings are compatible, but I wont have a final answer untill I source another 2zr for my personal car.

The ECU came from the Xd also.
Wow this is great news considering my 07 will be ready for a rebuild and new tranny on the next couple years, I can plan towards this instead! Great work and thanks for finding such an easy swap!
maralieus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #110
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Yes, if you get the xD gearbox, you need the xD axles. RagNaCat discovered that the differential is the larger one that's similar to the other 1.8L family. Not sure if they're direct swap from a Corolla or Matrix on the axle side, but the Celica and Matrix final drive ring gears go on the xD diff (and not the Yaris/xA/xB).
I just did a bit of reading and I "think" what I've found is that the Yaris transmission(C54?) AND the XD transmission(C50?) have the same gear ratios, the only difference is the final drive. The XD has a 3.94 while the Yaris has a 3.72. So in theory the XD gearbox will give you a bit more acceleration.

I'm still unsure if the Yaris Tsport has a 5 or 6 speed though, the Internet has conflicting information...
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #111
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
I just did a bit of reading and I "think" what I've found is that the Yaris transmission(C54?) AND the XD transmission(C50?) have the same gear ratios, the only difference is the final drive. The XD has a 3.94 while the Yaris has a 3.72. So in theory the XD gearbox will give you a bit more acceleration.

I'm still unsure if the Yaris Tsport has a 5 or 6 speed though, the Internet has conflicting information...
The US Yaris has the C50 as well, but uses a different differential carrier. Other than that, the gears themselves should be the same (part numbers and everything). There are some global variants of the Yaris that use a C53 or C54 gearbox, but they should have the same bell housing bolt pattern and mount bosses.

There's a few variants that use the EC67 gearbox, but it's very different from the C50. The slave cylinder is directly on the throwout bearing, and the hydraulic hard lines are different. The case is also 2-piece instead of 3. Here's an eBay UK listing of a similar gearbox.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:43 AM   #112
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

So what would be the ideal transmission for those interested in a 2zr swap AND a auto>manual trans swap? Can we do a pros VS cons on the available transmission choices?
Old 12-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #113
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
So what would be the ideal transmission for those interested in a 2zr swap AND a auto>manual trans swap? Can we do a pros VS cons on the available transmission choices?
Sounds good to me! Perhaps include a "bravery" rating as well, since some options would include non-trivial modifications to the drivetrain?

Stock Yaris C50 - Bravery: Sir Robin
Pro
  • Keep stock axles and mounts
  • Direct fit
  • Final drive is taller: higher top end speed in each gear
Con
  • May be limited in power handling above 150 whp (axles)
  • Final drive is taller: less torque/acceleration in each gear

Stock xD C50 - Bravery: Sir Galahad
Pro
  • Keep stock axles and mounts from xD
  • Direct fit
  • Final drive is shorter: better acceleration in each gear
Con
  • Must use axles from xD
  • Final drive is shorter: lower top end speed in each gear

Custom gearbox internals - Bravery: Black Knight
Pro
  • Get the ratios you want for almost every gear
  • Get the final drive ratio that works for your application
  • Excellent opportunity to add limited slip
Con
  • Requires mechanical knowhow and proper tools (the service manual is one of them!)
  • Can be VERY expensive to source new OEM parts
  • Can be LUDICROUSLY expensive to source aftermarket parts
  • Will require extended downtime to build the gearbox, can be worked around by getting a donor gearbox and building it before the swap
Old 12-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #114
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

^that is awesome! Thank you!

Im also starting to contact the Lotus guys to see how the 2zr handles track abuse and if it needs cooling upgrades

Last edited by ArmstrongRacing; 12-22-2015 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #115
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
Quote:
^that is awesome! Thank you!

Im also starting to contact the Lotus guys to see how the 2zr handles track abuse and if it needs cooling upgrades
Like so many other people that have posted, I'd be up for getting information on the order of a DIY.......

I'm in the frozen north, land of Igloos and Universal Health Care............so having a paid swap done in the USA is out of the question.

This seems a little bit easier than a K20 swap

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #116
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
Like so many other people that have posted, I'd be up for getting information on the order of a DIY
UPDATE: Ive completed my move to San Diego and have started searching for 2zrfe's. Ive found a few at dismantlers out of Corollas for $850-1000....but not complete engines. I will be purchasing one of the longblocks to test fit with a Yaris clutch and transmissions asap.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #117
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
I've been watching this post from the start and have been wondering if there is a more common (AKA cheaper) LSD option for the XD? Or another trans that bolts in?

Also, good job on the swap!
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #118
CrankyOldMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
I've been watching this post from the start and have been wondering if there is a more common (AKA cheaper) LSD option for the XD? Or another trans that bolts in?
Generally, no. The "cheapest" option is a Phantom Grip, which still runs a few hundred dollars and requires complete disassembly of the stock differential to install. There was an OBX-made torsen style that was hit or miss for being a grenade for around US$700 iirc, but I haven't looked for them recently. You might be able to find an OEM LSD in a junkyard if the stars all align for you, but I use US$1000 as the benchmark for adding limited slip of any kind that isn't going to be a gamble down the road.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #119
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

^What oem lsd are you referring to?
Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #120
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Generally, no. The "cheapest" option is a Phantom Grip, which still runs a few hundred dollars and requires complete disassembly of the stock differential to install. There was an OBX-made torsen style that was hit or miss for being a grenade for around US$700 iirc, but I haven't looked for them recently. You might be able to find an OEM LSD in a junkyard if the stars all align for you, but I use US$1000 as the benchmark for adding limited slip of any kind that isn't going to be a gamble down the road.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, that's the price range I was finding as well. I just can't justify spending that on my Yaris even though it would make a world of difference. If I could do an easy motor swap, get more power/torque and LSD I'd be all over that though. As is, I give you guys credit for the work you've been doing; trying new things is what hot-rodding is all about.

Cheers
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #121
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
... If I could do an easy motor swap, get more power/torque and LSD I'd be all over that though.
This is exactly my plan with my personal 2zr swap. I have a spare Yaris trans I will upgrade with the Xb final drive and a LSD....given That the yaris trans works with the 2zr.
Old 01-03-2016, 07:14 PM   #122
beaker

Drives: 07 Yaris 3 door
For what it's worth:

On toyodiy.com

2008 Toyota Yaris NCP91 with a 1NZFE 1.5 Liter engine, uses a C50 manual trans part # 30300-52360.

2008 Scion XD ZSP110 with a 2ZRFE 1.8 Liter engine, uses a C50 manual trans part # 30300-52360.

Same trans, so my guess would be that a Yaris trans will bolt to the 2ZRFE engine, or at least in this case.

I've got a 2007 Yaris with an auto, and if I did this swap, would go consider going manual, but the manual trans part number for my year is a 30300-52510. I bet the difference has to do with VSS sensor vs. getting speed off of ABS, as my car doesn't have ABS.

Checked the auto trans part #s, they are different from a Yaris and a XD.

I'm just wondering if you can run the Yaris computer with the 2ZRFE, or if you have to swap out with an XD computer?

Last edited by beaker; 01-03-2016 at 07:39 PM.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #123
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Wow...thats more evidence suggesting compatibility. Thank you.

Anytime you swap Toyota engines you are required to swap in that corresponding ecm. And yes the 2zrfe uses a different auto trans, I haven't looked into why though
Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #124
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
If someone was in the market for a used Yaris and they did it smartly depending on how much equity they could have in the purchase it would be smart to roll the swap right into the note ;-)

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #125
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
sooooo........................................why aren't we also talking about the 2Litre- 3ZR-FE ?

Is it because its not as readily available in North America?

Does anyone (CTScott???) know if it is dimensionally the same as the 2ZR ? (ie:, is it just a bored and stroked 2ZR?)

Either way, I'm still anxious for more information because I was thinking about some other "next level" mods for my 1nz-fe, and it seems more cost effective to put that investment into a swap.

Will
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #126
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo View Post
sooooo........................................why aren't we also talking about the 2Litre- 3ZR-FE ?

Is it because its not as readily available in North America?
We briefly discussed the 3zr, and yes it will probably work but like you said...its not available in the US. The 2zrfae just now showed up here and it was developed in 2010!