Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Katuhstrofik
Researcher for Justice

Drives: Lollerscooti
Arrow So, I am ready to jump into a Yaris.

Just a few questions regarding the Yaris.

What is a good year? Best generation in general?
Has the aftermarket scene established itself or are the performance Yaris builds still mostly engine swaps?

I am looking at a few currently that are $3-$5k varying between 70k-200k miles. Is it worth buying a $3k Yaris with 200k miles on it if it's been well taken care of? I do plan on doing an engine swap in the future for a 2ZR-FE after I do some more research.

I don't have any hobbies or anything and lead a pretty low maintenance life and so I want to get into this and maybe put some time into buying a Yaris and building an engine or two. I really like how Yaris looks and I really want to build a rocket out of one.

Any information would be fantastic! Thanks!
Katuhstrofik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Where are you located?

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:14 PM   #3
Katuhstrofik
Researcher for Justice

Oshkosh, WI.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:37 PM   #4
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Your first place to go if you are interested in a swap that looks to be pretty easy is Armstrong Racing's 2zr-fe swap thread.

Sent from m-o-b-i-l-e

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:43 PM   #5
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Hello and welcome to the forum!

In general the only true performance builds i've seen are either engine swaps or forced induction cars running on tune-able, aftermarket ECUs. The factory unit is locked down and can't be re-programed at all. So, if you're looking for something that can be easily convertable into a mini-rocket, you'd probably be better off looking somewhere else.

I can't speak for the 3rd gen. Yaris, as I'm not sure if the aftermarket for it is really all that big, but for the 1st and 2nd gen., just about anything you want, you can find, if you know where to look.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
Katuhstrofik
Researcher for Justice

Well, a little work doesn't scare me. :P I was a mechanic in the Army for a while and I spend my time working a factory job and lounging around when I am home. I figured as far as the swap goes I could run whatever Yaris I get and gather the swap and whatever parts I want for it initially and build it then spend a day or two swapping it in. That way any time without a car is minimal.

Just not sure what other little car is comparable to a Yaris that can be tuned. Not exactly super hip and all that when it comes to this stuff, but I am mechanically inclined and capable and very interested and motivated to learn and such!