Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I currently have mobil-1 5w20 in the wife's yaris and Castrol Syntec 5w20 in my civic

both of those have this sm sl jargon on the bottles so I guess i'm fine using them still....
Old 01-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #20
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
wonder how SHELL Full synthetic and PENNZOIL Platinum compare to the SYNPOWER ? Do you ? I don't .
Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 AM   #21
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
According to these tests Amsoil is the best

http://www.modernoils.com/competition.html
Old 01-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #22
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
what about ELF, kim thinking of getting that one in my Yaris.

ELF TOTAL QUARTZ FUTURE 9000 5W30
I've heard it has elfen magic...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #23
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
According to these tests Amsoil is the best

http://www.modernoils.com/competition.html
....and M1 EP seems to be 2nd best
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 PM   #24
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by gid View Post
wonder how SHELL Full synthetic and PENNZOIL Platinum compare to the SYNPOWER ? Do you ? I don't .
I'm tired of this oil stuff too. But this Ali/Fraser battle was too good to pass up
Old 01-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #25
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
EOM supplies Amsoil their base stock?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #26
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Run it, have engine failure, Warranty wont cover due to oil not meeting manufacturer\'s spec, Now you have to prove to E.O.M. that their oil is bad(ha!) and caused failure, wait 3 years maybe get some money if you are lucky. In the meantime you pay $4500. for engine repair. Sure I want to use that stuff!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:42 PM   #27
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Run it, have engine failure, Warranty wont cover due to oil not meeting manufacturer\'s spec, Now you have to prove to E.O.M. that their oil is bad(ha!) and caused failure, wait 3 years maybe get some money if you are lucky. In the meantime you pay $4500. for engine repair. Sure I want to use that stuff!
What am I sayin?! It's gonna be a pissing contest ANYTIME you have an engine failure. Probably the same outcome too.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 AM   #28
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilkySmooth View Post
Bullshit. When I went to Toyota....they have a whole entire shelf full of Mobil 1 5-30 and that is what they use when a customer requires synthetic oil. There is no way that if there were an engine failure, they would not honor the warranty due to the use of Mobil 1. They can only check to see the viscosity is correct and the level is correct.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #29
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Bullshit. When I went to Toyota....they have a whole entire shelf full of Mobil 1 5-30 and that is what they use when a customer requires synthetic oil. There is no way that if there were an engine failure, they would not honor the warranty due to the use of Mobil 1. They can only check to see the viscosity is correct and the level is correct.
The Center Having and selling M1 is irrelevant to this argument, the centere is UNAWARE of the oil being out of specification as are 99.999% of drivers and 90% service managers. If the oil is at fault, the Oil MFG will have to pay and there may be BIG delays in recuping uyour losses. Naturally, Toyota WOULD have to prove that the oil was out of spec and not you, but if they are ShArKs they may give you the ould "run around" if you are ill informed and dont have a lawyer standing next to you. Now, typ they would only perform a viscosity at temp and TBN to certify the oil as OK. But if there is "proof" out there that M1 does not meet sl/sm then Toyota has the upper hand and they can deny warranty claim - IF it is proven a given MFG run of that the oil is NFG. In our world, I would hope MY toyota service centre would just fix the motor if the oil level is good and I have proof of last OC.
ps: I would also not expect to see any failures with this sequence iva test being not met. You may just see some higher wear numbers thru the OCI, if any.

-Papa

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 01-09-2009 at 01:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #30
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Wow, some of you actually think your engine is going to sustain damage due to this? Anyone who thinks their engine is going to crap out due to Mobile 1 use is crazy. I don't care if a bad batch got out onto store shelves, it's a Toyota and can handle it. Use a different oil next change if it makes you feel better, but your Yaris is fine in the meantime...
Old 01-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #31
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Wow, some of you actually think your engine is going to sustain damage due to this? Anyone who thinks their engine is going to crap out due to Mobile 1 use is crazy. I don't care if a bad batch got out onto store shelves, it's a Toyota and can handle it. Use a different oil next change if it makes you feel better, but your Yaris is fine in the meantime...

I don't think that but SilkySmooth was saying that the dealer might deny your warranty due to the usage of M1 if one were to walk in with a blown motor which is definitely not the case.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #32
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
I don't think that but SilkySmooth was saying that the dealer might deny your warranty due to the usage of M1 if one were to walk in with a blown motor which is definitely not the case.
I think it all depends on you Service managers temperment at the time - but they typically would have to call in a zone rep to approve. Andyotas arent magic and repeal the laws of material science - in fact 1nzfe utilise a camshaft that is VERY prone to wear in this exact circumstance - cold start wear - just like the Nissan test engine used in the sequence iva test. This whole thing Smacks of the Quakerstate disaster a decade or so ago, though for porbably differing circumstance. YOUR ENGINE MAY NOT FAIL - BUT YOU ARE RISKING A CAM REPLACEMENT POST-WARRANTY FOR A CONSIERABLE OUT OF POCKET CASH OUTLAY. I you wish to argue my points - lets talk about the seq iva a test that M1 fails to pass and go on form there. You cannot argue that a significant sample of M1 failed over a 2 year period - Ashland wouldnt state this if it could not be backe d by hard data. They would be risking losing their Co to the GIANT EOM. - Papa
Old 01-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #33
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
Call your service manager and ask him/her; I intend to do this just to hear if they have received a bulletin on this issue - or have read this is an industrial publication. You wont read it in Road and Track or Motor trend they are in bed with the advertisers.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #34
TheSilkySmooth

Quote:
So if I follow your argument - that the oil you install does not have to meet Sl/Sm ILSAC GF3/4, then I can use John Deere 5w-30 SJ? Why deos my oil cap say: USE 5W-30 API SL APPROVED OIL?
Old 01-11-2009, 11:03 AM   #35
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
This stuff gives me a headache.....
I never gave this a thought ever on any of the cars I used to drive and they were all fine. Bought the PepBoys house brand for years.....
My Dad gets the synth change at the Toyo dealer on the '04 Tacoma and the '06 Corolla, and I believe it IS M1. They give him a reciept so it IS warr. covered if something goes wrong....
Face it, this engine sounds screwed up straight off the lot with that scary idle the sounds like bad valves. Notice how many people ask the same ? about the engine sound?
I'm hoping since these cars are made in JAPAN that the engines might be a bit closer to spec. tolerances. As for turning into a rust bucket in the future, who knows!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #36
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Surprise! An 'independant' study commissioned and paid for by Valvoline proves their oil is better! Wow, shocking!
Closed Thread