Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Liu997

Drives: 2008 Red Yaris LB
Fog light help please

I used this DIY on Yarisworld http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9473

I have the same problem of that the switch led won't turn off even if you turn off the car.

There was an explanation but I didn't quite understand. Where do you get the red wire and the white wire from?. I currently followed exactly as says. Thanks in advance.
Liu997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
Liu997

no one used this diy?
Old 04-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Nope i used the factory PDF.
Who's fog light kit are you useing.
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #4
Liu997

I got one off of ebay, the same exact one from the DIY thats why I chose that one. But now My square light doesn't go off. This is
Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #5
cyberfrogg

Drives: Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu997 View Post
I used this DIY on Yarisworld http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9473

I have the same problem of that the switch led won't turn off even if you turn off the car.

There was an explanation but I didn't quite understand. Where do you get the red wire and the white wire from?. I currently followed exactly as says. Thanks in advance.
You're not alone in this. I followed that DIY exactly the same and the switch led won't turn off either... =/
cyberfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 PM   #6
Liu997

^ Wad u do? Just leave them on?.... Actually that isn't much of a problem cause that puny led will probably never drain out the battery even if left on 24/7. But im just uncomfortable knowing a light is still on in my car.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #7
Liu997

heh, guess no one has any suggestions
Old 04-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Liu, what exactly is the problem? Can you take a picture? I don't have foglights but I know a little about the electrical stuff.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
cyberfrogg

Quote:
^ Wad u do? Just leave them on?.... Actually that isn't much of a problem cause that puny led will probably never drain out the battery even if left on 24/7. But im just uncomfortable knowing a light is still on in my car.
Yeah. For now I just left it on. It doesn't drain the battery but yeah I know its annoying for me as well.. lol

I'm just waitin for CTScott's reply... He's tryin to help me..
Old 04-26-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Use that DIY if you want to turn on the foglight indicator in the instrument panel AND the light on the foglight switch that came with the kit.
Photo towards the end of that link from tk-421(also pictured below) has red and white wires.
The foglight kit you bought has different color wires from his, but he is just telling you where to locate constant power and acc/switched power on the fuse box.

If you're installing the foglights using only the contents of the kit, follow the picture above for the location of CONSTANT POWER. If you want the light on the foglight switch to turn off when the key is out of the ignition, then follow the picture below.

Use the wire for the acc/switched power and instead of plugging it into the location that was shown in the picture above, modify a connector, crimp it to the red wire, and insert it in the location where I had circled in yellow. What I did was use a connector like in the picture below and smashed it flat so I can insert it into that slot that I circled in yellow, not disturbing the existing wire that's plugged in there. This way, if you turn off the car, the light on the foglight switch will turn off, too. Since the light on the foglight switch doesn't draw much power, it's should be safe to insert it there without adding a fuse.

Sequence:
Turn on ignition - rectangular light remains off, foglight symbol turns on. Foglights are still OFF.
Push switch - rectangular light turns on and foglight symbol remains on. Foglights are ON.
Push switch again - rectangular light turns off, foglight symbol still on. Foglights are OFF.
Remove key from ignition - both lights on foglight switch are off. Foglights are OFF.
Sleep in peace.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wire_connector.jpg (2.4 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 00000000p.jpg (92.6 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by yarisugi; 04-26-2009 at 06:10 PM.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Liu997

Wait the kit I used didn't have no red wire, do you mean the wires I connected under the steering wheel. I still don't know much about electrics cause this is my first DIY.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:23 AM   #12
cyberfrogg

Ah I would like to know this too! I'm thinking the green wire under the steering wheel is the red wire and the blue wire is the white wire in this case..
Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 AM   #13
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Quote:
Wait the kit I used didn't have no red wire, do you mean the wires I connected under the steering wheel. I still don't know much about electrics cause this is my first DIY.
Are you trying to wire the foglights so that the foglight indicator on the instrument panel lights up, too? If you are, then disregard my posts in this thread.

If you're not, then don't connect anything that's under your steering wheel. You don't even have to remove the steering column plastics.
The kit you bought has different color wires from other kits that other people bought. So, in your case there is NO red wire. It's probably a different color. You have to find out which wire on the switch is the CONSTANT POWER and which wire is the ACC/SWITCHED POWER.
The two wires in the picture are coming directly from the harness that goes to your foglight switch.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:34 AM   #14
Liu997

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Are you trying to wire the foglights so that the foglight indicator on the instrument panel lights up, too? If you are, then disregard my posts in this thread.

If you're not, then don't connect anything that's under your steering wheel. You don't even have to remove the steering column plastics.
The kit you bought has different color wires from other kits that other people bought. So, in your case there is NO red wire. It's probably a different color. You have to find out which wire on the switch is the CONSTANT POWER and which wire is the ACC/SWITCHED POWER.
The two wires in the picture are coming directly from the harness that goes to your foglight switch.
Yea I'm wiring so the the fog indicator comes on. What would I do then. Modify the switch?
Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Yea I'm wiring so the the fog indicator comes on. What would I do then. Modify the switch?
Take a look at the end of this thread:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...t=15941&page=3

I have been trying to help cyberfrogg with the same issue.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 PM   #16
Liu997

That clears things up a bit, Im glad I have a circuit writer pen .
Also what is the diode that I must remove.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:14 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
That clears things up a bit, Im glad I have a circuit writer pen .
Also what is the diode that I must remove.
The diode is the orange and black device.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #18
Liu997

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The diode is the orange and black device.

So I just solder it off right? And then my switch will work? I mean with the other modifications

Ok check back with u when I do this thanks?