Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #19
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Just went over 36,000 (warranty)... will now go on 10-15k miles changes. Before the warranty went out, I had to no problem doing every 5k.

Mobil1 Extended Performance.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #20
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Personally I have a big problem with extended oil changes.
The reason being is even with full snyth, you stiil have al the contaminates bulding up that could/will effect your seals, etc.

Besides, 15k miles is about a year or more for most drivers and I don't think a couple, three oil changes a year to be excessive

It doesn't make sense to me not to spend an aditiional $40 a year to protect a $12k investment.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #21
Lazerdot

Drives: Blazing Blue 08 liftback
What evidence do you have that an extended oil drain using oil designed for such intervals causes the issues you talk about?
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Lazerdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
RedRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazerdot View Post
What evidence do you have that an extended oil drain using oil designed for such intervals causes the issues you talk about?
What evdence yous ask?
Just logic and common sense.

Just because an oil is clasified as synthetic does not mean it prevents its self from being contaminated.
Shure, synthetic may have extended lubricating properties but, as I said the that doesn't tell the full story.
There are various factors that should determine how long oil change intevals are, not just the fact that synthetic oli is used

Last edited by RedRide; 11-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #23
Lazerdot

When things are said that contradict the evidence garnered from years of sales by Amsoil I think proof is needed. Amsoil will tell you the following:

AMSOIL synthetic oils will not damage your seals and will not
cause an engine oil leak. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils have an inherent detergency and natural solvency, which can clean and remove deposits left by conventional oils. The removal of extensive oil deposits can
expose marginal or damaged oil seals that may then leak. However, motor oils are designed to help swell seals slightly to prevent leakage. As long as a vehicle has been well maintained, and in good mechanical condition, AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils can be used in any vehicle without fear.

I suspect they have heard the issues you have brought up and feel confident from testing and real world use that they are not based on verifiable evidence.

Please check out TruLube.com for more information about extended drain intervals etc...

Lots of folks pay 30+ dollars an oil change to have it done for them. Amsoil savings are very substatial in those cases. I just went a full year on my F250, my wife will go 17,000+ on her car. My Yaris uses Racing oil so I'll go around OEM (filter can't go as long as the oil due to the toyota issue). I have no fear of the drain intervals and will save alot of money too.
One Year One Oil-AMSOIL at www.Trulube.com TRD Exhaust, Springs and Struts. TRD SSK. NST Underdrive Crank Pulley. Amsoil Dominator 10w-30 Racing Oil, Amsoil DOT4 brake fluid, Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-90 transmission oil, Ultra Racing 23mm Sway Bar, Camber Bolts, R1 Drilled Slotted front Brakes and SS Brake cables from Micro-Image. Orange Konig Daylight 17s, Kumo MXs. Greg@TruLube.com
Old 11-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #24
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

What evidence do you have that extended oil drain intervals are safe with synthetics?
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 PM   #25
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/TechnologyDev...il-Filters.cfm
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #26
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
i go until it's dirty. i check it every fill up and check tires as well. any way, as long as you got a high quality filter, and good oil, and a clean engine to start with, why change it if ther'es no need to do so? as the oil burns or collects dirt/debris, then you'll need to change it more often. if it's not dirty or collecting anything cuz the filter is still catching stuff, why change it?

the oil will turn dark and deposits will collect into a napkin when it's time to change it. now i'm not talkin black here....the oil will go from an amber/gold color to a dark yellow, then brown (time to change) and then black...when sludge starts to form and oil is past due.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #27
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
It blows my mind that anybody would go any longer than 5K miles per oil change. By that duration, the oil is contaminated. Period. I personally change oil every 3K miles and use a full synthetic.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #28
Lazerdot

I think some of the information contained here may help prove what 37 years of sales needs help proving.

https://www.amsoil.com/comparison/mo...l-3f-test.aspx
https://www.amsoil.com/comparison/40...motor-oil.aspx
https://www.amsoil.com/performancete...ing/index.aspx
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

I hope this helps a bit. The top one is an independent test of motor oil that does speak to deposits etc. The next two show a breakdown of a Deisel engine after over 400,000 miles with Amsoil, shows a lack of sludge ect. The Third is another trucking companies experience.
I through in the 2009 Motorcycle comparisons as well. I have yet to see anything indicating AMSOILs extended drain intervals cause the problems previously mentioned.
Previously extended drain intervals were being held suspect for contamination and damage to seals, again were is the evidence?
Amsoil stands behind it's claims, "Et tu, Brute"
Old 11-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #29
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Marc Graham, president of Pennzoil-Quaker State-owned Jiffy Lube International, was quoted in a 2001 Lubricants World interview as saying, “At [PQS] we use a number internally that if we [shortened the drain interval] by 100 miles [for each car serviced], it would mean an additional $20 million in revenue for the company.” He also explained that “if we could move our customers to get one more oil change per year, it’s worth $294 million for the oil change alone and $441 million in revenue, when you include the ancillary products and services customers typically buy along with the oil change.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
Lazerdot

For the major oil compainies it's like "come early come often".
The Valvoline deal means something like 56 oil changes over 225,000 miles, using a 4000 mile interval, verses 15 using Amsoil with 15,000 mile drain intervals.
Filtration is a huge issue. Micro fiber filters do a much better job then normal fiters helping make longer drain intervals feasible.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #31
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
RedRide and others,

Common sense has nothing to do with it. Where would science be if we all just followed common sense? If the great minds of history had stopped where common sense dictated where would the world be? Just deciding "that's the way it is" doesn't make it true. Do you have any facts AT ALL to support your opinion?

I do very much agree with your statement about not running x number of miles JUST because an oil is synthetic. I didn't just pick numbers out of a hat in regards to my oil drains-they were backed up with oil analysis. I'm not saying extended drains are for everyone and certainly don't begrudge people doing as they see fit but to blindly dismiss something with no proof is wrong. There are plenty of oils out there that will go far beyond 5k because they are DESIGNED to suspend contamination, prevent deposits, resist acid formation and oxidation and maintain there physical properties for longer periods of time. How long varies greatly depending on the oil the engine, and the operating conditions..

There are people out there in the world that continue to push the envelope in regards to what oils are capable of and the technology is changing ALL THE TIME!

There is nothing wrong with shorter intervals AND nothing wrong with extended drains if done properly-it's a matter of personal comfort.

Also, color is a poor indicator of oil life. An oil suspending contaminents is simply doing it's job. A clean looking oil could be spent for a host of reasons but many would be happy because "it's clean" while in reality it may be trashing the engine.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #32
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Oil analysis is doubtless the best answer, changing the oil when testing shows it needs changing. Modern "conventional" oils would often safely go considerably farther than factory recommended intervals as well, but knowing when it needs changing is key to extended intervals. I was an early adopter of Mobil 1 back in the '70s-'80s, when they recommended and heavily promoted a 25,000 mile change interval. I had a couple of engines suffer failures like a badly stretched cam chain and excessive oil burning before I thought they should have. I went back to factory recommended oil change intervals ("severe service") or less, and believe that if you're attentive to regular, reasonably frequent oil changes the only real advantage to "synthetic" oils is in extreme temperature operations. I no longer use them.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 PM   #33
serious

Drives: 2009 Toyota Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerFlosser View Post
It blows my mind that anybody would go any longer than 5K miles per oil change. By that duration, the oil is contaminated. Period. I personally change oil every 3K miles and use a full synthetic.
+1

E.J.
2009 Yaris
serious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #34
RedRide

Quote:
.......AMSOIL synthetic oils will not damage your seals and will not
cause an engine oil leak. AMSOIL synthetic motor oils have an inherent detergency and natural solvency, which can clean and remove deposits left by conventional oils. The removal of extensive oil deposits can
expose marginal or damaged oil seals that may then leak. However, motor oils are designed to help swell seals slightly to prevent leakage. As long as a vehicle has been well maintained, and in good mechanical condition, AMSOIL Synthetic Motor Oils can be used in any vehicle without fear.......

You have to be wary of advertising copy as that is all that is.

Granted the oil will not damagage seals or cause leaks, etc.

However, it is the contaminates (not the oil) that build up in the oil are the problem.
If an oil will clen and remove deposits, wehe do you think they can remain? ? Yes, right in the oil
Many deosits and contaminate can not be filtered either

I maintain that changing oil at least twice a year is not excessive.
Yes, Synthetic oil is better in some respects but one would be foolish to leave it in for 15,000 miles IMO.

Also, it is still recomended that you change the filter regurlarly.

Last edited by RedRide; 11-22-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:48 PM   #35
Lazerdot

I'll be at 17,500 on the oil in my wifes honda civic in a few more thousand miles. The SSO we are using is designed to retain acids and other contaminates throughout it's usefull life without creating engine issues.
As far as using copy, I use what I can get from Amsoil. Most is either verified from independant labs or from results verified from actual analysis and engine inspection. I trust our information, period.
I am weary of hype when it come to AMSOIL. Over hype is bad for my business. Thats why I sell AMSOIL using the severe conditions recommendations.
Anyway I hope whatever everyone does works for them. If you choose the longer drain intervals AMSOIL can provide, I hope Trulube.com will be your choice for your lubrication needs.

Last edited by Lazerdot; 11-22-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #36
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Looking at Amsoil own tests are interesting, especially the motorcycle test which showed that the oil I use, Maxima Ultra was one of the best tested. But asking Amsoil for test results of their products is kinda like asking the Catholic Church for proof of God dontcha think? I would be interested in any INDEPENDENT oil test results...
That said I'm sticking to the 4-5k rule, synthetic only and Baldwin filters I have used for my cars and diesel the last dozen or so years...the mechanic that I let change my Duramax engine oil now n then says my truck is one of the only ones he's seen that after the oil change the new oil still looks clean....I'm gonna drive that thing until even thing else besides the engine is worn out...that engine is 10k, at least half that to be rebuilt, not including the turbo, and I cant tell you what its worth (to me) not to be stuck on the side of the road during a family vacation trip in the middle of nowhere....
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote