Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #37
myt

Drives: Blazing Blue 07 YAris
Are the rain gutters parallel? I haven't measure yet, but I swore they weren't...

MYT
myt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by myt View Post
Are the rain gutters parallel? I haven't measure yet, but I swore they weren't...

MYT
Not even close.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 PM   #39
myt

Then I am very perplexed at colpumpkinnuts...it looks like the landing pads were installed parallel to the rain gutters. Maybe its just the way the pic was taken. I am still waiting for slow UPS to deliver my bars... :( Such beautiful weather this weekend too!

MYT
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 AM   #40
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
myt...check the measurements I posted. If you want the towers to sit at the same distance on the front and rear bars, you can't install the setup at the same distance for and aft from the gutters. Install the rear mounts, set up the towers and bars, remove them and move forward to keep the proper spacing, then measure in from the gutters and drill away.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:15 AM   #41
myt

Gotcha thanks JonS!

MYT
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #42
colpumpkinnuts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback
The landing pads are parallel to each other but not to the rain gutter. It's more noticeable on the front set than the rear set. Hmmm, I haven't put any pics up yet, I'll do that today when I get my hullyrollers set up.
colpumpkinnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #43
myt

Thanks for the clarification colpumpkinnuts! I was just going by the pic of course! Made me wonder. How level are the bars in the location you chose?

MYT
Old 09-07-2010, 07:14 AM   #44
colpumpkinnuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myt View Post
Thanks for the clarification colpumpkinnuts! I was just going by the pic of course! Made me wonder. How level are the bars in the location you chose?

MYT
How do you mean "level?" Are you asking if the front bar is higher than the back bar or vice versa? If that's the case, I'm really not sure. I think they're pretty close to being even.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #45
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Just had to show off my brand new boat. Just got her home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0805.jpg (196.5 KB, 371 views)
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #46
myt

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpumpkinnuts View Post
How do you mean "level?" Are you asking if the front bar is higher than the back bar or vice versa? If that's the case, I'm really not sure. I think they're pretty close to being even.
Yeah thats what I meant! Thanks! Mine should come in tomorrow with an install date of Thursday!

Nice boat JonS! ;)

MYT
Old 09-11-2010, 06:42 PM   #47
myt

Well I got everything in and attempted to install my rack today...everything went fine til my Dad somehow snapped the fastner that goes to the roof and it fell into the hole. Well I banged it and then it fell down to where my speaker goes, so I removed the trim pieces...see it and almost grab it, then it fell all the way down to the point of no return! ugghh...

Needless to say NO ONE around here carries just the replacement part. So I used the other from the front ones until I can order a replacement part come Monday. I am glad that I didn't drill all the holes first otherwise I would be SOL! LOL. The job isn't hard, just one snafu which I will charge to it being the first landing pad... ;) The longest part was taping and measuring. I wish that someone would sell a template, it would cut the install time wayyy down!

MYT
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #48
colpumpkinnuts

That sucks, man. Good luck with the rest of your install.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #49
myt

Thanks man... just got off the phone with Yakima... the d@mn replacement part(which they give you 4 of) came to just about $17!!! Thats half of what I paid for the landing pads themselves! UGGGHHH...

MYT
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #50
Nebarnix

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Ok -- so I am going to drill a couple of holes in my '07 liftback for some NMO antenna mounts. It has side and curtain airbags. I want to run the coax down the B or C column but I am worried about

A.) getting access as I want to use a chassis punch and not a drill bit. This means I will need pretty good access under the roof liner. The airbags are the bit that worries me here. It might be possible to go under the back end only and do a "long reach" to get under there without disturbing anything up front.

B.) Running the coax down the columns. Again, airbag concerns. Are there ever any airbags on the B column? I only see the "srs airbag" label on the A column. The C column would mean stringing extra coax and the losses that accompany that (I am running some QRP digital stuff at 10mW so it counts).

C.) oh yeah.. how the hell do you remove the damn head liner??!?! =D

Any help would be great, I'm new to this whole car hacking thing!

Thanks!
KE7PHI
Nebarnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #51
dingbat

Drives: '10 3D Liftback
When I looked into it for my lift-back, Toyota's instructions for removing the headliner properly requires removing almost all of the interior trim, starting with the seats.

Good luck.
dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #52
Nebarnix

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
When I looked into it for my lift-back, Toyota's instructions for removing the headliner properly requires removing almost all of the interior trim, starting with the seats.

Good luck.
Did the other's in the forum have to remove the seats? That sounds.. really terrible... sigh.
Nebarnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:25 AM   #53
colpumpkinnuts

I looked at the same thing as dingbat and decided it wasn't worth it. If you look at the interior of your car you'll notice that it looks like it was assembled from the roof down. Meaning you'll have to disassemble from the floor up. I'm not sure you'll have to take out the seats but it will definitely require the removal of a lot of trim pieces.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #54
colpumpkinnuts

So, I finally got a boat and snapped some pics. I took it out for a spin yesterday. The car handles the load pretty well doesn't complain too much until I get above 60mph. Loading the boat onto the low roof is surprisingly easy.

In this photo I've got the boat a bit farther back than I normally would so it doesn't overhang quite so much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DHM_100916_0001_email.jpg (235.9 KB, 330 views)