Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #55
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
What have I started?

Chris, that pic is regoshdarndiculously hilarious!!!

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:22 PM   #56
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Is Vanilla sportin' a woody in that pic or what???

Looks frighteningly similar to Max Headroom there...

~YR
Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #57
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Dual exhaust FTW!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:48 PM   #58
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
incorrect. ftl.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #59
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
Ok, backpressure and exhaust velocity both add to decreased HP...they both affect eachother but are indipendant. Back pressure is how much restriction there is in the pipes, it measures how much it takes to get the exhaust through the tubes. Exhaust Velocity is how fast the gasses move through the tubes.

While low back pressure is good for horse power, there needs to be a little bit there or most of the computers in newer vehichles do not adjust properly to the changes in pressure.

Exhaust velocity is what is affected most by splitting the exhaust. you can get 4" piping all the way back to the mufflers and 4" mufflers, and you will have no back pressure, but on the other hand, because you split the exhaust flow your exhaust velocity goes down.

It has been proven on the dyno...single vs dual exhaust on 4cyl cars...single wins every time.

If you want dual exhaust, more power to you! Just keep in mind you are sacrificing performance for style.

Yes steve, dual exhaust will work with a turbo...heck, it will work with anything...But with a turbo you would notice even more power gains with a single exhaust set up.

P.S. maybe I do need more drugs so it will help me when I try to explain stuff that I only think I know about.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:07 AM   #60
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
FlameYaris...why photoshop when theres youtube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2HxvS8knQJs
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:26 AM   #61
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
It seems to me that due to laminar flow, two smaller pipes with the same cross sectional area as one larger pipe would infact have higher gas velocity (this can be seen when solving the Reynold's Number equation for mean velocity and using an Re of 2300 it can be seen that L, or "characteristic Length"... in this case, the diatmeter of the pipe, will result in an smaller laminar flow value). Also, if they were fused/jointed correctly, they could be as uinrestrictive as well. In addition, scavenging effect (effectively having a wave of low pressure interlope its way back into the combustion chamber that aides the successive induction charge) is more pronounced on smaller diameter pipes...

/This being said, I think that twin exhaust would look kinda dirty...
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #62
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
whatever happen to that photoshop of some zoomies coming out the wheel wells with flames coming out?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:30 AM   #63
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsjames View Post
It seems to me that due to laminar flow, two smaller pipes with the same cross sectional area as one larger pipe would infact have higher gas velocity (this can be seen when solving the Reynold's Number equation for mean velocity and using an Re of 2300 it can be seen that L, or "characteristic Length"... in this case, the diatmeter of the pipe, will result in an smaller laminar flow value). Also, if they were fused/jointed correctly, they could be as uinrestrictive as well. In addition, scavenging effect (effectively having a wave of low pressure interlope its way back into the combustion chamber that aides the successive induction charge) is more pronounced on smaller diameter pipes...
Holy hell! Fluid mechanics? Must be an engineer!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #64
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsjames View Post

/This being said, I think that twin exhaust would look kinda dirty...
Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:34 PM   #65
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
hrm...two pipes may be more efficient at expelling gasses than one larger single pipe...however, maybe I am way off...but doesn't splitting the flow hurt exhaust velocity? If it does not, I formally apoligise to anyone I may have misled.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #66
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
hrm...two pipes may be more efficient at expelling gasses than one larger single pipe...however, maybe I am way off...but doesn't splitting the flow hurt exhaust velocity? If it does not, I formally apoligise to anyone I may have misled.
No... you are actually probably correct... hence my "Also, if they were fused/jointed correctly" statement...

The real trick would be point of fusion between the two pipes, this is for sure.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:43 PM   #67
elsteverino889

That video was weird, kinda freaked me out
Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #68
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Just tried this in photoshop out of curiosity, it could actually look pretty decent in person... Piping would be difficult indeed, but if you went so far as to remove the bump of the spare wheel, that would give a lot of space...

Something to think about...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC0221dual.jpg (193.9 KB, 74 views)

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #69
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
nice
Old 05-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #70
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
It would look sick on this car.

James, what you're saying is two pipes with a 1.125" diameter would perform better than a 2.25" exhaust with a single pipe? Dare you to try it.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #71
elsteverino889

That does look nice etimago but let say a boosted yaris and wanted a dual exhaust would it be better than a single or dual exhaust upgrade
Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #72
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Well I'm not thinking of running two pipes off the engine, just the standard single one, but splitting it in two at the axleback level. Although, what I think would be an ultimate setup is to have one performance-oriented, noisy exhaust on one side, and a quiet one on the other, and switching between the two with some kind of butterfly valve at the junction I think Porsches and other high performance cars use an automated setup similar to this to pass noise regulations...

But anyway this is just a silly concept at the moment!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote