Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
fatjerkgary

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Jade Sea
Performance Noob Questions

Hi everybody, first time poster... be gentle.

Anyways, I'm the proud owner of a '07 Sedan (Jade Sea Metallic, yeah yeah), have had it about 8 months, 10k miles on it, daily driver, yattah yattah. Love the car, love the gas mileage. My only quarrel has been accelerating from stop lights on freeway onramps to 65/70. Semi-truck drivers in So Cali aren't that forgiving.

With that in mind, I don't have many plans or aspirations for my car other than to increase the low to mid range performance area ('cuz I like the 40ish mpgs I'm getting right now) and try to help out that acceleration issue.

Shopping list thus far:

Chino's intake (whenever it gets done) :D
NST Pulley (heard great things)
Custom Catback Exhaust*
Header**
16" or 17" machine lipped wheels (still in the market, possibly Motegi's)
HID (maybe)
Brake upgrade (maybe)

Whiiiiiich leads to my questions:

*I hear everyone praising custom exhaust setups. My first question is what are the pros/cons of catback vs axleback? The TRD is axleback isn't it? : \

**The headers I've heard that were available were all 4-1. It's also my understanding this won't do much for low/mid range as opposed to a 4-2-1 header setup. Are there any 4-2-1 headers available for a sedan?

Many thanks,
Gary
fatjerkgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
That's not a bad plan, I have the same problem here, I have to exit the neighborhood and merge into a single lane 80km/h road, and almost get rear-ended on a daily basis...

A catback will enable you to run high flow catalysers (or none, if you're feeling frisky), so overall giving you a less restrictive exhaust. And axleback only changes the muffler, so it's not as much of a help. So far, aftermarket exhausts are only axleback, but there's not a lot of choice for the sedan, which is why a custom solution is preferable.

That's the theory with headers, 4-1 for better high-rpm power, 4-2-1 for a more balanced mid-range power. As far as we've seen, there are no aftermarket 4-2-1 designs available.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #3
fatjerkgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
That's not a bad plan, I have the same problem here, I have to exit the neighborhood and merge into a single lane 80km/h road, and almost get rear-ended on a daily basis...

A catback will enable you to run high flow catalysers (or none, if you're feeling frisky), so overall giving you a less restrictive exhaust. And axleback only changes the muffler, so it's not as much of a help. So far, aftermarket exhausts are only axleback, but there's not a lot of choice for the sedan, which is why a custom solution is preferable.

That's the theory with headers, 4-1 for better high-rpm power, 4-2-1 for a more balanced mid-range power. As far as we've seen, there are no aftermarket 4-2-1 designs available.
Great! Thanks for the information. I guess I'll start out with the pulley and exhaust and hope some kind of 4-2-1 comes out in the next few months.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Definitely go for the NST pulley! It made a world of difference for my LB, and even helped my MPG by a bit too!
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #5
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Yeahhh Gary!

I'm trying to get a response on when this aftermarket catback exhaust is going to come out, but no luck thus far. I'm hoping it wasn't scrapped. Custom is a good route to go, too. The only thing is CARB legality... ouch.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
Definitely go for the NST pulley! It made a world of difference for my LB, and even helped my MPG by a bit too!
By any chance do you know if this pulley will fit an 04 hatch?

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
ChinoCharles
Banned

Is the 2NZ the 1.3L? Shoot NST an e-mail to make sure, but if it is the 1.3L I think the same pulley works for either engine. He will be able to tell you.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com
Old 05-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
AlphaFox

Drives: 07' Yaris Liftback - silver
hey, when you merge on the highway, keep it in 2nd till 60 then shift to 3rd... more power in higher rpms.
AlphaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Vic-2NZFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Is the 2NZ the 1.3L? Shoot NST an e-mail to make sure, but if it is the 1.3L I think the same pulley works for either engine. He will be able to tell you.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com
Yes, it is in fact a 1.3L
Thanks for the info

It's a Vitz!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #10
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
The best thing you can do for your car is to swap to some light wheels, get some better rubber, and lower it. Enhance your performance and your looks all at once.

And I agree with the NST pulley. Best $100 mod by far
I asked Mike on AIM, NSTonAIM, he said they have already sold a few to 1.3 owners in southeast asia. Ask him on AIM or look through the NST discussion thread, the answer may be there.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:14 PM   #11
Vic-2NZFE

just sent an email to them, will wait for an answer

It's a Vitz!
Old 05-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
ZPI currently has a sale going on their pulleys... 85$
Sweet Deals!!!
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
ChinoCharles
Banned

Perrin ripoffs. Design your own shit.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:59 AM   #14
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
hmmm 85, maybe i'll nab one with the turbo? :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboyaris View Post
ZPI currently has a sale going on their pulleys... 85$
Sweet Deals!!!
That's pathetic. Copy another company's stuff, release a lower quality piece, and then have to resort to lowering prices just to try and dump inventory. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole!
Old 05-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #16
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
what company did they copy?

and how just because it isn't hard anondised is it a hunk a junk?
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #17
fatjerkgary

Great! Thanks for all the replies. I think I have a better idea of what I'm going to end up doing.

Will order the nst pulley in the next week or so.

As for the staying in 2nd comment, my car is an auto. :P

My ultimate goals are to make this an ultimate commuter car: great mpg, stylish, comfortable, fun to drive.

I've been looking for some lightweight wheels. So far the only thing that has really caught my eye are some motegi traklites: 17" that weigh around 14-15 lbs each.

If anypone knows of a good brand that does the black with machined lip style I'm open to suggestions.

And since we are on the topic of weight, are there any ways to get the weight reduced? I'm sure at some point there will be cf hoods and trunks. Any other methods or ideas?

Sorry if this post comes out weird I'm posting from my phone.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:06 AM   #18
d4w1

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Here is a 4-2-1 header photo for a 2007 Yaris. View users garage to seen photo.
d4w1 is offline   Reply With Quote