Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Time to replace rotors. Which brake upgrades?

My rotors on my 2009 Yaris sedan have finally worn out. They have that "rotor shimmy" that tells you its time to either replace the rotors, or have them shaved. I'm kind of on the fence about having them shaved. They're going to lose thickness, which technically makes them out of spec with what toyota intended. So I'm not sure I'm really for "turning" rotors, as some people call it. Others call it shaving them. My local orielly's or autozone will turn them, but I'm thinking a brake upgrade is in order. So here's my questions:

1. So what is a good brake rotor upgrade, that won't break the bank? Perhaps those EBC slotted rotors that come in black? I don't think I really want drilled rotors, as they do have a tendency to crack. But which rotors would last a long time, and definitely be an upgrade to stock rotors?

2. I'd also like to do some braided stainless steel brake lines. If I'm right about this (and I could be wrong) my Yaris should have rubber brake lines that actually connect to the caliper itself. Same thing that is on my old 1987 Silverado. Well, as I'm sure you all know, if you replace those with braided stainless steel upgrades, those lines can no longer "bulge" or flex, from the inside out. Which is why they make the braided steel ones. And thus, your braking is slightly improved. Does anyone make such a thing for the yaris? And if so, which ones would you recommend? I'm probably going to go ahead and change the brake fluid, since it just hit 150k miles on the odometer. Might as well switch over to stainless steel lines if I'm going to have to change the brake fluid.

3. Pads? Is there a pad upgrade, to the stock toyota pads that my car has? When I got the car, it only had 40k miles on it. So I'm sure it still had the stock pads and rotors still on there. But now since I'll be replacing the rotors, I'm going to replace the pads too. Is there an upgraded pad, that will actually perform any better, perhaps last just as long, and maybe not produce much brake dust? I have my doubts that there is actually a better pad, than the stock toyota pads, for the yaris. But I just thought I'd ask.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

EDIT: I'm thinking maybe something like this for the pads and rotors. Any reason I shouldn't go this route? Not sure about the pads...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EBC-Brakes-S...dXKfV5&vxp=mtr
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote