Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
vaironl

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 door, manual tran
Short shifter bracket no reverse

Hello everyone I jus installed the short shifter bracket and now I have no reverse. I lost the passanger clip and used a paper clip for the time any ideas. The lights for reverse do go on.
vaironl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
vaironl

First of all I want to apologize for the way that the post was written. I was frustrated after hours of putting the shifter bracket and me being me it took me way longer than expected.

The problem was the short shifter itself, not the bracket. It appeared to be fine, but it wouldn't go into reverse. More precisely it would turn on the reverse lights but it dint go all the way into reverse or make that usual sound.

I almost replaced the MI bracket with the older one, until it hit me, lets just remove the short shifter and problem solve. I'm so glad I dint jump into conclusions and went into removing that bracket at 7PM with no sunlight. I also lost the passenger side shifter cable clip and attempted to place a paper clip into it for the time being, but since I had to remove the Short shifter I used that clip instead.

If you guys have any ideas of why the short shifter is causing this please post them. I'm not sure if there's a correct way to place it.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Reverse is a bit tricky sometimes on my box as well (I also have the bracket and SS). Try engaging second, then try reverse; see if that helps.
As for fitment, there's no way you can put it incorrectly AFAIK.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
Reverse is a bit tricky sometimes on my box as well (I also have the bracket and SS). Try engaging second, then try reverse; see if that helps.
As for fitment, there's no way you can put it incorrectly AFAIK.
Thanks for the info TK. Another person told me sometimes they had to go fourth then reverse, that's interesting.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #5
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I always get into first and then reverse even without a short shift
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
vaironl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
I always get into first and then reverse even without a short shift
You don't mind explaining why. Is it for safety?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
have you upgraded your transmission fluid yet? many folks to include myself noticed a HUGE difference in shifting to reverse once getting the OEM fluid out of the trans. You can go AMSOIL, Royal Purple, Raceline, etc. Going a full synthetic is what has really netted the best results. I have run AMSOIL, RP, and Havoline for synthetics. Havoline seemed to work like garbage, but it was kind of a "emergency" situation and I had lost all of my good stuff from the drain....don't ask...hahaha.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:21 AM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaironl View Post
You don't mind explaining why. Is it for safety?
Reverse is not synchronized and sometimes the teeth on the gears don't line up. Putting the transmission in any other gear simply moves the gears around a bit.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote