Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-25-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
06vitzRS

Drives: 06 Yaris HB
Brake fluid info...

Some people are talking about using racing fluid (DOT5) in their brake systems. I would not and this is why:
There are 3 ratings, DOT3, DOT4, DOT5. 3&4 are glycol based and 5 is silicone based. Glycol based fluids are hygroscopic, which means they can absorb moisture. Silicone based is not. Any moisture in the system will collect in the lowest points of the system. The moisture winds up in the wheel cylinders and calipers. DOT 5 should not be used in ABS systems because the water can collect in the valves of the ABS system, corroding them and rendering them inoperative. Dot 5 is also more prone to trapping air in the fluid, especially when agitated, as happens in an ABS hydrolic controller or pump.
If you are going to use DOT5, at least change it often. DOT4 is good enough and way less to worry about.

Last edited by 06vitzRS; 12-25-2008 at 09:44 PM.
06vitzRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 07:56 PM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Very good point(s) made there. While in the process of putting my re-built powdercoated calipers on I plan on flushing the system with ATE brand Dot 4 fluid. Most reading I did in arriving at the decision to use ATE indicated that DOT 5 is used primarily in racing applications where the fluid is changed often.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:24 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Not all racing brake fluid is DOT5. Good high-temp DOT4 is available.

Regardless of what type you use, if you're using it on a track, the system should be bled (which will purge whatever is in the calipers) before each track day and flushed at least annually. In other words... DOT5 wouldn't be bad if the system is properly maintained.

That said, I use high-temp DOT4. Usually ATE, it's a good "bang for your buck" fluid considering temp vs. cost.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:28 PM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
That said, I use high-temp DOT4. Usually ATE, it's a good "bang for your buck" fluid considering temp vs. cost.
+1 - that's what I use also.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 PM   #5
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Does'nt putting DOT5 silicone into a DOT3 factory fill system mess up the seals though?
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
I used valvoline synthetic high performance dot 4 fluid.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote