Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
heybai

Drives: None
Waiting for the Taiwan Yaris

It has been suggested that a new thread be started for this topic since I was clogging up discussion on the Vios, an Asian-only Toyota model. Below is some of the text I posted over there. If anyone hears anything about the what and when of the 2006 Yaris release in Taiwan, I'd be grateful if they'd add that info here.

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/business...GRP=E&id=77294

The relevant 'graph:

"In March, Toyota will launch the Yaris sedan and three-door hatchback, followed by Honda's Fit, a five-door hatchback in April, and Nissan's Versa hatchback in May and a sedan in the fall. The Yaris is a third smaller than the Suburban and weighs almost a ton and a half less."

So no five-door? I won't buy a three-door and the sedan's shape and headroom don't appeal to me. This is too bad, if true.

Another question: I did see Yarises (or "Yarai"? :-)) in Taiwan during my visit last month, so they must have been imported. Any ideas on how much more it would be to import a car to Taiwan? I have never bought a car in Taiwan -- don't know if buying an import is worth the trouble and expense, etc.
heybai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #2
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
gosh... you really opened up another thread...
but i am not sure there will be that many taiwanese people on the forum...
and i don't know too much about taiwanese yaris...
maybe you can find more taiwanese people to join discussions here...

http://www.ctitv.com.tw/new/news/new...o=0&sno=244476
http://www.libertytimes.com.tw/2005/...ay-weekly5.htm
these info just talk about possible arrival date and price...
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Seems like TW won't get it until end of this year! Wondering what's the car you saw at TW last month? Probably someone import it from Japan?
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
heybai

Seems like TW won't get it until end of this year! Wondering what's the car you saw at TW last month? Probably someone import it from Japan?

I definitely saw a Yaris (at least one) in central Taiwan, and since they aren't (yet) manufactured on the island, it had to be imported.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
hhcchen

they did show one in taipei car show last year...
don't know if they took it for a spin...

http://clie.ws/bbs/index.php?showtopic=70947
Old 03-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Interesting that they would display a "Netz" Vitz in Taipei. Does Toyota use Netz outlets outside of Japan?
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
I have found something:

http://clie.ws/bbs/index.php?showtopic=62665&st=60

Not a lot of help though. Hope you like it.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
heybai

Thanks to you both for the images and the URL link. hhchen actually posted a link to this Taiwan Yaris forum on the Vios thread, which is where this discussion started, so thanks for that too.

I've looked through these Taiwanese sources but haven't seen anything really definite about a release date for the Yaris or which versions will be on the market. Then again, I don't read Chinese as well as I do English, so I might have missed something.

This Taiwan bbs is a good source though, and I have it bookmarked for any updates. For now it looks like the all the other Taiwanese would-be Yaris owners are asking the same question -- when will it be available on the island? That's the topic of the busiest thread, but there hasn't been a new post since Feb 9, so I take it no one knows for sure yet.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM   #9
heybai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen
they did show one in taipei car show last year...
don't know if they took it for a spin...
I find it heartening that they chose to 4-door hatch (or liftback as some call it). The 2-door would seem pretty inappropriate for their market in Taiwan. I surely am not buying one a 2-door.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #10
hhcchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybai
I find it heartening that they chose to 4-door hatch (or liftback as some call it). The 2-door would seem pretty inappropriate for their market in Taiwan. I surely am not buying one a 2-door.
well, if you really have to have a 5 door hatch...
i might suggest this...

http://www.autonews.com.tw/cgi-bin/a...how.cgi?qry=S5
i heard it's pretty famous in taiwan...
it's produced in taiwan, so it's cheap too...
(hey, if you want to discuss this... put it on off topic forum, but people might not have anything to say, because it's asian only car again...)
Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #11
Sp33dY
www.OZTOYOTA.com

Drives: Toyota Echo
Is that a WAGON R+ ? they only released one version of those in Australia in the Late 90s ... it didnt sell well at all :P In fact. i cant recall the last time i have even seen on on Australia roads since they were sold.

That Yellow Vitz is SOOOOO NIIIIICEE... Huge pearl in the paint, i wish they had that colour available in Australia :(
Old 03-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #12
heybai

That Yellow Vitz is SOOOOO NIIIIICEE

Yeah, it's a beauty, isn't it. Nice looking car. I am really hoping for a Yaris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhcchen
well, if you really have to have a 5 door hatch...
i might suggest this...i heard it's pretty famous in taiwan...
it's produced in taiwan, so it's cheap too...
Yes, the Suzuki Solio is high on my list -- along with the Nissan March and the Formosa Matiz -- if the Yaris is delayed or if the options make it unappealing to me. I drove a Suzuki as a rental in New Mexico and loved it, but I'm not sure if it was a Solio or just a similar model. I worry about the low-riding body, and fear catching that front flap on a curb or something. And you are right, they are very popular -- I saw loads of them on the road this winter.

The March (known as the Nissan Micra in other countries) is also really popular. The Matiz is the most economical option, but I find the interior just too cramped having ridden around as a passager serveral times.

(hey, if you want to discuss this... put it on off topic forum, but people might not have anything to say, because it's asian only car again...)

Nah, let's keep it is this thread since we are comparing the Yaris against other cars available in Taiwan.

How about some pics of the March and Matiz so others know what we're talking about?:

The March:

The Matiz:

Old 03-10-2006, 01:44 PM   #13
hhcchen

don't forget this one...
already on sale in taiwan...
i heard this one might come to america too...
correct me if i am wrong...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
heybai

This isn't new news (published Nov 2005), but here's an article in MSN-taiwan about the Vitz comparing with some of these models. Included are some pics for those who don't read Chinese, but I must say I don't care for the interior shots in this set. Those seats look cheap & flimsy, or am I being too critical?

http://auto.msn.com.tw/onlinegallery...asp?testid=144

A nice feature of this site is the search options to the left of the page. When I limit the search for hatchbacks in the NT$300 - $500,000 I come up with 8 cars none of which is a Toyota since the Yaris isn't yet available (although it does include at least one import, the Daihatsu Sirion, so I don't know why the Yaris doesn't come up).