Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
rossman

Drives: 2006 YARIS RS
TRD 18" RIMS & SPRINGS

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a new pair of trd 18" rims & toyota lowering springs from toyota.

Does anyone have a pair of these tires, do they run quite?

The reason I am asking is because usually with installing aftermarket rims & tires the wheel noise increases alot and usually the gas mileage is compromised. I am hoping this is not the case because they are sold by toyota. With a larger wheel and weight I am sure the gas mileage will decrease, but by how much ?

Also when replacing the springs is it mandatory to replace the shocks also? If not will thise cause the shocks to damage, break down easier?

Any information on this would help..

Thanks
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
from what I hear they are 18lb. monsters..
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase a new pair of trd 18" rims & toyota lowering springs from toyota.

Does anyone have a pair of these tires, do they run quite?
Well, I think you still get to pick a tire, but pretty much nothing that will fit on 18 or even 17 on a yaris will be quiet, because you will have to go with a low profile tire.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is because usually with installing aftermarket rims & tires the wheel noise increases alot and usually the gas mileage is compromised. I am hoping this is not the case because they are sold by toyota. With a larger wheel and weight I am sure the gas mileage will decrease, but by how much ?
Noise will go up, mileage will go down, guaranteed. I'd be willing to bet you'll lose 2-5 mpg.

Quote:
Also when replacing the springs is it mandatory to replace the shocks also? If not will thise cause the shocks to damage, break down easier?
Lots of people have aftermarket springs, and stock shocks/struts. But to answer your question, yes, you are probably shortening the lifespan of the shocks and struts.

Go get something lighter and cheaper than 18s. For the price you're buying them from the dealer you could get some super light 16s.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
18's you need to run tires like 215-30-18

wouldnt want that kind of ride....yikes!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
bigger rims and thin tires are definately will reduce your mpg. it will be harsher ride as well as the road noise .

Im using the trd 18" with the pirelli pzero nero m+s 215-35-18 tires , full header back exhaust , aem intake and still manage to get 36 mpg ....the car is also lowered with tanabe df210.... I couldn't be happier with the ride quality ...it's extremely driveable .....even my mom said the ride is not harsh....

vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by vten View Post
bigger rims and thin tires are definately will reduce your mpg. it will be harsher ride as well as the road noise .

Im using the trd 18" with the pirelli pzero nero m+s 215-35-18 tires , full header back exhaust , aem intake and still manage to get 36 mpg ....the car is also lowered with tanabe df210.... I couldn't be happier with the ride quality ...it's extremely driveable .....even my mom said the ride is not harsh....

^^^ Word here are mine in fresh gold paint , 215-35-18 kuhmo rubber all around
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZZZ 015.jpg (231.3 KB, 143 views)
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I had em and I ran a 215-35-18 and the ride was ok I commuted with them 100 miles to work. I was lowered on Tanabe DF they only rubbed on bad bumps

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote