Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2012, 05:15 PM   #37
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Please try to post your threads in the correct thread section. It's getting old moving all the stuff from the "general discussion" when this was service related. I've moved it to the proper sections
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #38
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
I haven't gotten an email from yarisworld in a while. Yeah the CEL will still come on like once a month for a couple days at a time. I took it to Advanced and checked it with their device. It said it was the MAF sensor. I'm gonna try the MAF sensor cleaner. I'm also planning on using cleaning my carburetor and fuel injectors soon for good measure.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:17 PM   #39
bad
Winterizing

Ok astroman, my bad.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #40
bad
Winterizing

Just wanted to mention I am starting to try to not use cruise control when going up hills anymore to see if I get higher mpg. I installed cruise around the same time I installed the air filter.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #41
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
I installed mine, got a code. Took off the spacers and re-seated the MAF seal with more care. No code for 200 miles, then all the sudden going uphill in fifth gear, it CELd again.

The way I installed the PVC hose it was pushing the Z-connector on the intake and creating an opening in the rubber gasket. I took some JB weld and permanently glued it on with a total cemented seal. No codes for 100 miles, even when going uphill with cruise control. It finally made a slight difference in MPG too -- had no change on the first fill-up.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #42
bad
Winterizing

Bought carburetor cleaning fluid, cleaned my air intake butterfly per some youtube videos. It looked very clean before I started though so I think it was a waste of time. I could not figure out how to open the butterfly to clean behind it so I had my dad spray a little in there while I got in and gave it gas. CEL light is still on. If it goes out and comes back on again I am going to have to buy MAF sensor cleaner and try that.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #43
bad
Winterizing

Ok well the carburetor cleaner worked for like a day but then the CEL came back on and it stayed on for a long time. So I used some fuel injector cleaner and the CEL went off again. It only stayed off for about two days and then it went back on for a long time.

Finally I bought MAF cleaner. Sprayed the heck out of my MAF sensor, and it works well! The CEL light has been off for at least a week now. Once I quit using fuel perks and loading up gas tanks, I am going to calculate my new fuel economy. The MAF cleaning didn't work right away. It takes a little bit for the sensor to get used to being clean and also it might even make the CEL come back on for a tiny bit after it has gone off and then finally stay off.

SO in conclusion, I'm feeling confident that the MAF sensor cleaner was the way to go. All videos I watched say to not use carburetor cleaner on your MAF btw! I'd recommend cleaning the MAF sensor every once in a while now that I understand it can mean the difference in your car getting better gas milage too. (probably every other time you clean your filter would be fine.) So I'm happy right now. If you are having the CEL problem, buy MAF cleaner and follow a youtube video. It's as easy as spraying and letting dry. It only costed about $7 a can I think.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #44
bad
Winterizing

Almost a month later and still no CEL. Engine doesn't seem to be so loud anymore too. Cleaning the MAF with MAF cleaner seems like it did the trick. Will figure out if the mpg got better soon.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:16 PM   #45
bad
Winterizing

Still no CEL so that is good. ... I have not been getting very good mpg lately. I will try cleaning the air filter even though I don't think it is that dirty.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #46
bad
Winterizing

Hi,
The CEL came back on about a month and a half ago and has stayed on. It went off for maybe a two day period about three weeks ago. But you could say I'm back to where I started. I'm feeling like I'm not sure if it was not worth it to install this AFE air filter and intake system. Especially since I haven't even seen any overwhelming gains in fuel efficiency.

I checked the codes last week and had two. One was MAF again and the other was air temperature sensor. I decided to try cleaning the MAF sensor since I already have a can of MAF cleaner. Since it turn the light off, I thought I would try replacing the air temp sensor today as it was less expensive than the MAF.

I went to my store and used the machine to read the codes and it only gave two this time for the MAF and none for the air temp sensor. I had them order me an MAF and will try it out on Thursday. I have to pay $50 and then get it back when I return the bad one.

I just cleaned the contacts of the MAF connectors with electrical contact cleaner and am waiting for them to dry now. Hoping that works so I don't have to buy the MAF sensor.

Just out of curiosity, could someone please post a link to show where the air temp sensor even is as I spent some time looking but don't think I found it. I saw a picture of it on my store's computer so I know it isn't part of the MAF sensor.

Any advice is appreciated also.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #47
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I thought the air temp was but into the MAF.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #48
bad
Winterizing

I've read that on some websites, but they were able to pull up a separate part on their computer at Advanced Auto parts. The first time I had them pull up the part a week ago it was supposed to be like $11.99. The one they showed me on the computer today would be like $17.99.
You're probably right though...
Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #49
auxmike

Can you snap a pic of what that part looks like? I'm curious...

Old 04-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #50
bad
Winterizing

I will try to get them to bring it up on the computer again when I go back and take a picture.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #51
auxmike

Cool! Mabye it's a water temp part, dunno..

Old 04-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #52
bad
Winterizing

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
I installed mine, got a code. Took off the spacers and re-seated the MAF seal with more care. No code for 200 miles, then all the sudden going uphill in fifth gear, it CELd again.

The way I installed the PVC hose it was pushing the Z-connector on the intake and creating an opening in the rubber gasket. I took some JB weld and permanently glued it on with a total cemented seal. No codes for 100 miles, even when going uphill with cruise control. It finally made a slight difference in MPG too -- had no change on the first fill-up.
I'm considering this also... where is the Z-connector?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:36 PM   #53
bad
Winterizing

Is the Z connecter the small black hard plastic tube that is an elbow?
Old 04-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #54
bad
Winterizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxmike View Post
Cool! Mabye it's a water temp part, dunno..
I don't think so, as it was called air temp sensor.

Tags
afe power cold air intake, air filter, air intake, check engine light, mpg