Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
DMZ

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Good on ya, but we are 2,000 miles NORTH of you; bare feet do not compute...
When you enter the vehicle you turn the heater on. When it gets warm, you can remove your Sorels and drive stocking footed or barefoot. You slip your boots back on before you exit the vehicle.

It reduces road fatigue and give you a much better feel of the road and controls through the pedals.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
schume

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Install cruise control?
That's the reason I installed cruise control on mine! After a two hour drive, the top of my foot and shin would be in a lot of pain. Around town doesn't bother me, but freeway driving, engage cruise asap! :)
Old 07-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #21
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
In any event, the gas pedal resistance on the Yaris is too light when the geometry of access is considered. One is forced to almost stand on it instead of pressing it latterly which puts a strain on your foot and leg as you struggle to hold them in the required position. You are not only pressing the pedal but trying not to press it too hard at the same time.

Yes, you can get used to it for the most part but, if the seat was lower. etc or the spring was stronger, it would be more comfortable.

BTW, the fact that there is one spring inside the other suggests to me that someone was aware of the design problem and one more spring was added. However, it is still not enough IMO.
One can not make the spring as situated too strong in the plastic components ....a design flaw?
With a traditional cable throttle, the spring tension can be tailored for an individual car model at the throttle body by adjusting the spring size and geometry of the cable attachment at the pedal as well as at the throttle body.
Wow is that ever a ridiculous reach. The fact that there is a spring within a spring simply offers the engineers an avenue for creating a progressive rate pedal - two different size springs of different sizes and rates that engage at different points in the travel offers a lot of tuning options. Changing the internal spring and ECU throttle mapping makes it possible to use the same assembly in a different model car that utilizes a different level of "perceived" performance.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #22
instantninja

Drives: 07 yaris rs
it looks like those springs are about the same size as r/c car springs. They come in all sorts of different rates, I'm sure you could find some that work for you.
You would have to get the spring out of your pedal first and find out its spring rate first and go up from there.
instantninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #23
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
solution: pedal to the metal, all the time

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #24
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
jayeh, I'm not on the Wet Coast here; we regularly get -20C here in the winter, and often match Ottawa's winter temps. I can't see you driving barefoot out there, either!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #25
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
jayeh, I'm not on the Wet Coast here; we regularly get -20C here in the winter, and often match Ottawa's winter temps. I can't see you driving barefoot out there, either!
Not according to what I read!

The weather here is absolutely miserable.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #26
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Oh, you mean right now? The last week has been in the mid-30sC, and we have seen 40C on our back deck. True 'nuff, winter doesn't normally last as long here as it does there, either...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #27
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Wow is that ever a ridiculous reach. The fact that there is a spring within a spring simply offers the engineers an avenue for creating a progressive rate pedal - two different size springs of different sizes and rates that engage at different points in the travel offers a lot of tuning options. Changing the internal spring and ECU throttle mapping makes it possible to use the same assembly in a different model car that utilizes a different level of "perceived" performance.
Really? All coil springs used in this respect have progressive resistance. Also the springs in question seem to be set up to engage in unison, not at different points

The fact remains that the two springs are too weak for the application at hand, So, why is that when the two springs are supposed to rectify that?

Throttle mapping is irrelevant to this issue.

Last edited by RedRide; 07-12-2013 at 11:47 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #28
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRide View Post
Really? All coil springs used in this respect have progressive resistance. Also the springs in question seem to be set up to engage in unison, not at different points

The fact remains that the two springs are too weak for the application at hand, So, why is that when the two springs are supposed to rectify that?

Throttle mapping is irrelevant to this issue.
Have you actually taken one apart, or are you just playing armchair QB?

These are linear rate springs, that is pretty clear if you look at one, progressive rate springs use a visually different winding pattern to create the progressive resistance. What you cant see in those pics is the piece that sits inside the larger spring and engages the second spring a different point in the travel, making a progressive (two stage) setup.

It is your opinion that the set up is too weak, there are likely hundreds of thousands of owners that have not given it a second thought. I think it is 100 times better than the pedal in the Tundra I drive, which is hard as a rock on tip in, making it terribly difficult to be smooth but makes the truck feel quick.

Throttle mapping was not irreverent to my point, which was that Toyota can simply replace the springs and ECU calibration to use this same pedal assemble in a different car that has a different throttle ramp and pedal pressure, what we call perceived performance - this is when a manufacturer kicks in 75% throttle at 25% pedal movement to make a car feel like it has a lot of torque, or gives a more linear throttle map to make a car feel smooth.

The fact that you think this is all an afterthought and not done by design is ridiculous.

Pedal feel is just like when they started programming in simulated shift points on CVT cars to give the impression it works like an AT, its all about giving the mass of consumers what they think they want to be happy. I have no doubt they spent a stupid amount of resources to get the Yaris pedal characteristics to fit an exact criteria.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 07-16-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 AM   #29
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
So has anybody actually installed a different spring in the throttle?, or used some other method to improve the pedal feel?

Like the OP I feel the throttle is too light, I feel like I have to hold my foot OFF the throttle. After driving for a while my leg / ankle start to bother me, a little more resistance would help.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #30
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
end thread!

eTiMaGo has the right idea!
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #31
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Lightbulb

I have an auto sedan (vios) and its throttle pedal is also too light. It was one of the first e-throttle car I drove and I find it bad for long drives. If i simply rest my foot on it, I end up doing 160kmh.

In my manual hatch (vitz RS) its throttle is slightly stiffer but the clutch is rock hard. So on one foot I get cramp from not being able to rest my foot on throttle, and cramp on other foot from working out the clutch. Why is there so much contrast in the pedals ?

I've been really curious in finding a way to stiffen up these throttle pedals.

The barefoot thing is great. On really challenging drives I take off my shoes. Its not a very practical long term solution (weather, cold, rain etc)

So.. I did a bit of researching and there have been quite a few people complaining about this problem with several other cars with e-throttles. Whats interesting with the CTS pedal you folks in North america have (which is a really weird mechanical design) is that it was designed this way to mimic the feel of a cable throttle. So its surprising to hear its still too light.

The Denso pedal in pretty much rest of world is much more straightforward design. I thought about going in and changing the spring with a stiffer one but I really dont want to mess with a accelerator pedal. I especially wont encourage anyone to do the same with CTS pedals esp after the recalls etc.

So I came across an interesting solution I found on a Honda Fit forum.. I think this is not a bad idea and I will be looking into trying it out on my cars as well. Ive attached an image from there. (courtesy of fitfreaks)

Seems like a good idea. simple enough. will take a bit of trial and error for getting the right tension spring.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01624.jpg (103.1 KB, 115 views)
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #32
Maitland

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS
I actually tried the honda fit spring fix. I ended up hooking the spring in a little groove under the gas pedal, and hooked the other end of the spring to the back of the gas pedal body assembly. Cost me less than 5 bucks. Picked up the parts at Canadian Tire.

This instantly fixed about 90% of what I hate about this car....the softest throttle pedal I have ever felt. This problem is farther compounded by the very upright driving position which makes you feel like you're standing on the pedals, holding your foot off the throttle.

I've only owned my 08 yaris for about a month, and was on the verge of taking the hit and trading it in for something else. I have a 5 speed MT, and find it very difficult to shift smoothly, especially in 1st from a stop. We get a lot of rain here in Vancouver, and over revving the engine at a stop, on a wet road, up a hill, with the lame stock tires = wheel spinning like mad, and everyone in traffic thinks your driving your little Yaris like an A**hole.

I've been driving a manual since I learned when I was 16, and this car has been the most difficult for me to drive smoothly...mostly because of the feather light throttle pedal.
Maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #33
sheekeebut
Minimalist

Drives: 07 silver sedan
Knowing that it was a throttle-by-wire, I decided to just get used to the throttle lightness. Sure, no feel, but you'll get used to that as well, find other signals to give you the feedback you need. Think video games.

And that heavy clutch helps beef up my weak left leg. Driving auto from 16 to 23 years old has rendered my left leg inept, even up to now.
sheekeebut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #34
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
I have an auto sedan (vios) and its throttle pedal is also too light. It was one of the first e-throttle car I drove and I find it bad for long drives. If i simply rest my foot on it, I end up doing 160kmh.

In my manual hatch (vitz RS) its throttle is slightly stiffer but the clutch is rock hard. So on one foot I get cramp from not being able to rest my foot on throttle, and cramp on other foot from working out the clutch. Why is there so much contrast in the pedals ?

I've been really curious in finding a way to stiffen up these throttle pedals.

The barefoot thing is great. On really challenging drives I take off my shoes. Its not a very practical long term solution (weather, cold, rain etc)

So.. I did a bit of researching and there have been quite a few people complaining about this problem with several other cars with e-throttles. Whats interesting with the CTS pedal you folks in North america have (which is a really weird mechanical design) is that it was designed this way to mimic the feel of a cable throttle. So its surprising to hear its still too light.

The Denso pedal in pretty much rest of world is much more straightforward design. I thought about going in and changing the spring with a stiffer one but I really dont want to mess with a accelerator pedal. I especially wont encourage anyone to do the same with CTS pedals esp after the recalls etc.

So I came across an interesting solution I found on a Honda Fit forum.. I think this is not a bad idea and I will be looking into trying it out on my cars as well. Ive attached an image from there. (courtesy of fitfreaks)

Seems like a good idea. simple enough. will take a bit of trial and error for getting the right tension spring.
That is one cool idea , I have same problem find its very touchy this would definitely help...tx for sharing .

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #35
Maitland

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS
Here is a picture of what I did. It helped a lot.

I also have a really stiff clutch, which I am getting replaced next week. I'm going with a Luk clutch kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gas pedal spring.jpg (151.9 KB, 75 views)
Maitland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 AM   #36
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Here is a picture of what I did. It helped a lot.

I also have a really stiff clutch, which I am getting replaced next week. I'm going with a Luk clutch kit.
Thats really awesome. I will try and see if I can do something similar with my DENSO pedal, I dont see any easy attachment points like yours though.

As for the clutch, so a new clutch kit can solve the stiffness ? is it just the spring that toyota decided to use in these models ?

I sat in a Toyota Etios a few weeks ago and tried the clutch it was nice and soft and its a 1.5 aswell.
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote