Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Yaris cabin Blower motor cutting on and off

2010 Toyota Yaris, 4dr lift back (or hatchback/wagon, depending on who you ask).

Hey guys, I've done some research, and haven't found much on this in reference to the Yaris, however other Toyotas have experienced similar issues.

The blower fan that pushes the ac/heat out, cuts in and out. The unit behind the glove compartment is sensitive to impact or something.
I used my fist to pound on it last night, got it to make contact and work (temporarily).

The car sat overnight, and the fan didn't work again this morning. My girlfriend drives the Yaris, so I wasn't there to pound her glove box for her this morning

Is this an issue with the plug that connects to the unit behind the glove box? Can I just stuff a piece of foil or metal down there to help the contacts?

When it cuts out or doesn't work, turning it to full blast doesn't help the issue either.
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
chriswf

Drives: Scion tC and Saturn SL1
Also I don't think it's the resistor, b/c when I bump it to get it working, it works on lower speeds too.

Someone else suggested there's something inside the fan...
Any other ideas? I'll take it apart tonight.
chriswf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
AtheistExtraordinaire
Mediocre Handy Girl

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
2010 Yaris Hatchback

Did you ever figure out or solve this problem? I am having the EXACT. SAME. PROBLEM. Same year, same model...

I have ordered a new blower motor but don't know if I should have, or if I need to order the relay or resistor?
AtheistExtraordinaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistExtraordinaire View Post
Did you ever figure out or solve this problem? I am having the EXACT. SAME. PROBLEM. Same year, same model...

I have ordered a new blower motor but don't know if I should have, or if I need to order the relay or resistor?
If it cuts out on high still, then the blower is the issue. If it only cuts out on lower speeds, then the resistor or switch is more likely the issue.