Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Oil Plug do you prefer Ratchet or Box end wrench?

I am doing all the service on our Yaris these days to save cash. I am just paranoid about stripping the oil plug. Which do you think is easier to control and less likely to strip a ratchet or box end?
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
hopefully it's not so tight that you need anything more than a combination wrench to take it off. either/or will work. even a 9/16"
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #3
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
I use a ratchet to get it started, then a box wrench so I dont soak my arm in oil
Old 09-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
When i do my own oil I prefer a ratchet but lately i am curious about the Fumoto Valve system of changing oil.
http://www.fumoto.com.au/
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Tamago

that's really bulky and oddly valved.

there are better options out there. brb i'll find one

edit: http://horsepowerperformance.com/i-1...ly-torque.html

Aeroquip is good stuff.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 PM   #6
The Shape

The Fumoto wouldn't be that bad on the Yaris considering where the dran plus is on the side of the pan, but I would hate to try it on my Tacoma that sticks straight down. The Aeroquip stuff looks nice
Old 09-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
The Shape

Ehhh I think I may just go back to letting the dealer do the service. I am getting so old and Lazy LOL
Old 09-16-2009, 05:13 AM   #8
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Last couple of years i've been getting my mechanic to change the oil.he charges $60 considering the synthetic oil up here is close to $40 and a dealer filter is $10 its worth the extra $10,especially in winter.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Get a torque wrench and a socket. A decent beam-type wrench will run you about $20, and you'll never have to worry about stripping out the drain plug again.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #10
Tamago

the amount of torque required to strip those M14 (or M12) threads would be in the neighborhood of 200lb/ft. i highly doubt that a person could exert that kind of force lying down under their car with a box end wrench.

torque wrench is overkill, just get the plug "tight"
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM   #11
The Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Last couple of years i've been getting my mechanic to change the oil.he charges $60 considering the synthetic oil up here is close to $40 and a dealer filter is $10 its worth the extra $10,especially in winter.

It cost me about 45 bucks at the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation and they fill up my washer fluid. Combined with the fact I don't have to drag out my drain pan, wrench, ramps ect. it is sounding like a better and better deal.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:38 AM   #12
Tamago

keep in mind that they're putting recycled oil in your car. your $45 goes toward labor mostly.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Fumoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i do my own oil I prefer a ratchet but lately i am curious about the Fumoto Valve system of changing oil.
http://www.fumoto.com.au/
I've had these on two previous vehicles and love them. Very user friendly and make changing oil even easier and cleaner. I am hesitant to put one on my Yaris though due to relatively low ground clearance and road debris concerns.

The Aeroquip that Tamago posted though looks like the ticket for a Yaris-I just might have to order one of those.

Tamago your commission check is in the mail, I'm sure!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
The Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
keep in mind that they're putting recycled oil in your car. your $45 goes toward labor mostly.
Toyota Oil is recycled????
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Oh, I forgot to mention that for the first removal of the drain plug I recommend you use a 6 pt socket. Mine was really anchored in there (the filter was also ridiculously tight). After that if you don't crank on it putting it back in a box end would be fine IMO.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
Toyota Oil is recycled????
dealers buy oil in bulk, from their local oil distributor. it is usually recycled. if you personally see the tech open 4 bottles of oil and put them in your car, then i am wrong. but if they use an oil delivery gun it's most likely recycled oil.
you nailed it sir.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #17
The Shape

Oh, yeah I took my Tacoma in for service earlier today actually. I watched the tech walk to the parts counter and the guy give him a Toyota Filter and Toyota brand oil.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #18
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
It cost me about 45 bucks at the dealer for an oil change and tire rotation and they fill up my washer fluid. Combined with the fact I don't have to drag out my drain pan, wrench, ramps ect. it is sounding like a better and better deal.

you can get 5 qts dino and a decent filter at any chain like pepboys
for $15
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote