Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2017, 05:53 AM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Swaybar for regular driving?

I can afford to get one of these know,but is it really worth it for me?

I know what a swaybar does and how the physical principals work.

It will cost about $400.00 CAD and want to know if for a regular daily driver will I notice anything substantial.

Thanks for any and all opinions feedback.

Car is lowerd 1.5 BTW running 205/50/R16 ( Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+)
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Since the rear axle is solid beam, it is not really anti roll bar type sway bar like most are. So the results aren't going to be as dramatic or worth it like a typical sway bar.

IMO I think that money could be better spent on performance shocks/struts to match your springs. This greatly increased the handling on your car especially at high speeds.

The sway bar is a good mod but for $400 and just regular non spirited daily driving you wont notice a big difference, just a bit more stability in the highway. If you drive hard and cornered hard during your drive then I'd say it's worth it
Old 05-18-2017, 08:11 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Anti Sway bar Yaris Corolla Tercel McPherson strut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Since the rear axle is solid beam, it is not really anti roll bar type sway bar like most are. So the results aren't going to be as dramatic or worth it like a typical sway bar.

IMO I think that money could be better spent on performance shocks/struts to match your springs. This greatly increased the handling on your car especially at high speeds.

The sway bar is a good mod but for $400 and just regular non spirited daily driving you wont notice a big difference, just a bit more stability in the highway. If you drive hard and cornered hard during your drive then I'd say it's worth it
Another post indicating fundamental mis-understanding of the Yaris/Tercel/Rabbit rear suspension. (That "solid beam" is soft in torsion) The Y/T/R rear suspension is IRS with integral sway bar function. Another way to describe is that the sway bar serves locating function...where one or more lateral links or A-frames serves only locating (no spring) function. Another example of this is TRUE Mcpherson strut front suspension (in circa 1980 Mazda GLC), where a sort of normal heavy looking front sway bar locates the bottom of the strut/spindle carrier...thereby serving both locationg and springing functions in one piece.
So, Yaris has anti-sway at both ends.
91 fwd Corolla Wagon has no anti-sway, and softer spring rates. Works fine in all driving I've done. Just doesn't feel like a go-cart. Maybe better than Yaris on the high-crown gravel roads. (If anything I could see adding some light anti-sway at this Corolla's rear only for better peg-leg-differential traction.)
Corolla got a version of this suspension after Tercel. (Stated reason was improved trunk space.) A circa 2005 one I saw had a visible solid bar inside a U-shaped channel for the cross beam. Tercel had just the U. I think rabbit had a T-section. Looks like yaris has a closed tube in a shape that is relatively soft in torsion?

Last edited by dogsridewith; 05-18-2017 at 08:26 AM.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #4
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Another post indicating fundamental mis-understanding of the Yaris/Tercel/Rabbit rear suspension. (That "solid beam" is soft in torsion) The Y/T/R rear suspension is IRS with integral sway bar function. Another way to describe is that the sway bar serves locating function...where one or more lateral links or A-frames serves only locating (no spring) function. Another example of this is TRUE Mcpherson strut front suspension (in circa 1980 Mazda GLC), where a sort of normal heavy looking front sway bar locates the bottom of the strut/spindle carrier...thereby serving both locationg and springing functions in one piece.
So, Yaris has anti-sway at both ends.
91 fwd Corolla Wagon has no anti-sway, and softer spring rates. Works fine in all driving I've done. Just doesn't feel like a go-cart. Maybe better than Yaris on the high-crown gravel roads. (If anything I could see adding some light anti-sway at this Corolla's rear only for better peg-leg-differential traction.)
Corolla got a version of this suspension after Tercel. (Stated reason was improved trunk space.) A circa 2005 one I saw had a visible solid bar inside a U-shaped channel for the cross beam. Tercel had just the U. I think rabbit had a T-section. Looks like yaris has a closed tube in a shape that is relatively soft in torsion?
This is the second time you have posted this (previously in a different thread) and you are still wrong. The Yaris DOES NOT have IRS, nor does the Yaris have an integral rear sway bar. I don't know where your getting this from but it simply is not true.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Anti Swaybar Yaris Corolla Tercel rear suspension McPherson strut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
This is the second time you have posted this (previously in a different thread) and you are still wrong. The Yaris DOES NOT have IRS, nor does the Yaris have an integral rear sway bar. I don't know where your getting this from but it simply is not true.
I wrote "integral swaybar FUNCTION." Show any source calling this type of rear suspension not IRS. Or describing it as "solid beam."
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
Show any source calling this type of rear suspension not IRS. Or describing it as "solid beam."
The responsibility of finding a source would land on you. The yaris lacks any type of rear control arms and both rear wheels are attached through a solid h style axle.

Making a statement for the second time of Yaris' having independent rear suspension would require a source on your part to support your claim as it goes against what an irs set up looks and functions like.

Lets keep the thread on topic for the op, if you want to discuss your interpretation of the rear suspension then by all means do so, but on your own thread
Old 05-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Sway bar is a must and first item you should invest in on these cars. It's a day and night difference going straight on the highway. No more floating. I paid mine $285.00 shipped in hand CDN.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #8
Pinchlite

Swaybar cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Sway bar is a must and first item you should invest in on these cars. It's a day and night difference going straight on the highway. No more floating. I paid mine $285.00 shipped in hand CDN.
May I ask where ($285.00 shipped in hand CDN)and what brand bar...whiteline,TRD?
Old 05-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
To the OP, I think the TRD rear sway bar is a fantastic mod, really improves the handling in daily driving. Having said that however I only spent $180 US on mine. At $400 CAD I would be hesitant about the purchase. I would keep looking for a better price. Used ones show up here every now and then also.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #10
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
It really sucks for us not having a Canadian supplier. Best I could find this morning was $146 USD new. Add in the $105 to $126 USD for shipping, plus exchange rate and yeah, we are north of $350 CDN to get a new one in our hands.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #11
tmontague

yes, there is flex manufactured into the design so it doesn't ride hard like a traditional straight beam rear axle. Hence why the hubs are situation further back from the central cross the car beam, this allows said flex therefore allowances for each side to move slightly free of eachother.

As you stated, Toyotas own term for it is "torsion beam". Allowing some flex in a rear axle does not constitute it as an independant rear suspension design and calling it so confuses many such as the op who still is trying to better understand the suspension in his Yaris.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
I can afford to get one of these know,but is it really worth it for me?

I know what a swaybar does and how the physical principals work.

It will cost about $400.00 CAD and want to know if for a regular daily driver will I notice anything substantial.

Thanks for any and all opinions feedback.

Car is lowerd 1.5 BTW running 205/50/R16 ( Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+)
trd at any toyota is 275 canadian
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #13
Pinchlite

Swaybar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
trd at any toyota is 275 canadian
Toyota midland says they cannot get TRD swaybar.Even if they could 275 CAD is a good price,best I have heard as of yet.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #14
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Toyota midland says they cannot get TRD swaybar.Even if they could 275 CAD is a good price,best I have heard as of yet.
Try Toyota Canada in Toronto it's where they are shipped from or any other Toyota dealership

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #15
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Try Toyota Canada in Toronto it's where they are shipped from or any other Toyota dealership

I will call monday.Hopefully I can pick it up.

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Quote:
I will call monday.Hopefully I can pick it up.

Thanks for the info.
It's the one in Scarborough by the 401 ...it's the headquarters

Old 05-19-2017, 06:58 AM   #17
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
So, to answer your question. IMO, yes, its worth it. I noticed it in a few areas of daily driving. ON/off ramps, substantially less body roll. Switchbacks, like lane changes feel more stable. And cross winds on the highway do not push the car around as much as it used to.
Having lowering springs does take care of some body roll,so that part of it wouldnt be as pronounced. If you like to drive in a "spirited" fashion then you'd like it. If you drive more "grandma" like or normal run of the mill drivers,then it may not be a good investment. The swaybar is for people who like to push the car a little at times.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
So, to answer your question. IMO, yes, its worth it. I noticed it in a few areas of daily driving. ON/off ramps, substantially less body roll. Switchbacks, like lane changes feel more stable. And cross winds on the highway do not push the car around as much as it used to.
Having lowering springs does take care of some body roll,so that part of it wouldnt be as pronounced. If you like to drive in a "spirited" fashion then you'd like it. If you drive more "grandma" like or normal run of the mill drivers,then it may not be a good investment. The swaybar is for people who like to push the car a little at times.
+1

I drove my 2015 manual SE around for almost a year as a daily driver without a rear-sway-bar, and immediately noticed the stability differences in situations like what you mention once the TRD Rear-Sway-Bar was installed. On a factory/stock-OEM suspension/spring type setup, it is the best bang-for-your buck mod that you can make to a Yaris IMO. Perhaps not so much once the car is lowered and suspension-tuned for aftermarket racing-style performance.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote