Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
2008 Yaris sedan ‘S’ sound deadening project.

First off I would like to say thank you to DerickVeliz2, SQComp, Swidd, Talnlnky and countless others I have learned from in just the last week alone!

So I’m sure some of you are thinking, Oh no! Not another sedan sound deadening project! When I started mine, I didn’t even realize there are several other ‘works in progress’. My goal is not the same as theirs regarding the level of deadening they are going to achieve. I’ll be a couple of steps down. Nor am I going to upgrade my sound system to their levels either. I’m staying with the stock head unit and only upgrading the speakers. I need to draw the $$$ line somewhere.

Before I started, I wanted to scientifically document the difference of my sound deadening efforts. I bought a small digital decibel meter and took some readings inside the car under full acceleration with the windows up and the radio off. I was a little surprised by the readings! See pictures below for more info.

I’m starting in the trunk and working my way forward. I guess it all started after I had my custom center exit exhaust installed. Even after a muffler and two straight through resonators, the sound inside the car under acceleration is still a little too loud for my tastes. However, the exhaust note outside the car is just right!

To begin, I pulled all the plastic panels from the trunk, trunk mat, spare tire, etc. It all came out quite easily. Then I wiped the metal surfaces down with rubbing alcohol. My sound deadener of choice is from www.RAAMaudio.com. More specifically, RAAMmat BXT II. It comes in 15” x 15” squares with soft foil on one side and a peel and stick adhesive on the other. This product is VERY easy to use and does not cut you. I can cut it with a pair of scissor I keep in the garage. I use the left over backing as template material for those oddly shaped spaces. I also bought 9 square feet of Ensolite foam that is also peel and stick. At the moment, I plan on using the Ensolite in the door panels when I get to them. I realize now that I probably don’t have enough.

At this point I have completely deadened the truck and trunk lid. I’ve removed the rear seat and subframe and the plastic parts that cover the wheel wells. Tonight I removed the rear speaker deck and the plastic pieces along the back of the rear seat. I would like to stuff some kind of foam up the “C” pillars.

I figured while I was tearing into my car, now would be a good time to upgrade the speakers. After a bunch of quick research on Crutchfield I found speakers that I like and were given high marks by previous buyers. I was pretty much ready to buy from Crutchfield when Swidd posted up a link to www.SonicElectronix.com. The rear speakers were $60 LESS then Crutchfield. So that’s were my money went. For the rears I ordered up a pair of Alpine SPR-69C for $99.99 . For the fronts I agonized whether to go with a straight replacement or get a pair with separate tweeters. Separates mean that I will need to cut the door panels. The separate tweeters won out in the end. I ordered a pair of Kicker KS60.2's for $109.99.

Here’s some pics of where I’m at so far.

Getting started: RAAMmat, Ensolite foam (both are peal and stick) with a digital decibel meter.

Closeup view of the mini decibel meter.

Taped to the rear seat to get a baseline sound reading.

Highest sound I recorded in the cabin, 84.7 db.

Removal of the trunk "stuff". When was the last time you checked the air pressure in your spare?.

Rear "stuff" removed and the metal surface wiped down with rubbing alcohol.

Partially done trunk. Right hand side.

I used the leftover backing for template material.

Figured out an easier way to remove those, those, pluggy, clippy things. A ziptie fits through the head and now you can pull them out with out prying the head off or damaging them.

RAAMmat in the trunk lid. I’ll make sure to deaden the license plate and frame too.

Trunk and deck lid about 95% done at this point.

Pretty much done with the trunk. This is the drivers side. I may have to put some foam over the vent to dampen the sound, but still allow air movement.

Trunk, passenger side.

Inside the car, facing the left rear corner, taking the picture from behind the passenger side front seat. I've finally uncovered the wheel wells!

Rear seat, subframe and wheel well panels removed. You can see where I stopped from the trunk.

Now I can pretty much work up to the back of the front seats after lifiting up the carpet.

Inside the car looking towards the trunk. The rear deck topper and the factory sound deadener is flopped over on the right laying in the trunk. Kind of hard to get the depth perspective in this picture.

From the front seats looking toward the back. You can see the left wheel well that I want to deaden too.

A semi-closeup of the rear deck minus the deck material, etc. The speakers are reflecting in the rear window. All of that bare metal I want to deaden.

Should be interesting to get another db reading after I'm done. I may take some other readings, like before and after doing the doors. Also, like the others are doing with their projects, I’ll post up as I go.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 02:00 AM   #2
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Nice. Just for shits and giggles, take a dB rating after you break in the speakers. hahaha.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
swidd

Drives: Yaris HB
wow, clean and thorough :) I attacked it like a zombie, ripping off the panels, throwing them aside, slapping on some mat, cutting up some patches of foam, and banging the panels back on. Banging extra hard if they would not quite fit.
swidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
hmmm raammat used to come in like 50ft long rolls... wonder why it's cut into squares now. Different supplier maybe.
Nice trick with the clips....I can't remember how I got those out (it was 2 yrs ago... hehe)
Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Nice. Just for shits and giggles, take a dB rating after you break in the speakers. hahaha.
Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swidd View Post
wow, clean and thorough :) I attacked it like a zombie, ripping off the panels, throwing them aside, slapping on some mat, cutting up some patches of foam, and banging the panels back on. Banging extra hard if they would not quite fit.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
hmmm raammat used to come in like 50ft long rolls... wonder why it's cut into squares now. Different supplier maybe.
Nice trick with the clips....I can't remember how I got those out (it was 2 yrs ago... hehe)
I think that's the "original" version, BXT. The squares do make it easy, but rarely have I used an entire square at one time. Maybe as I get further into the passenger compartment...

I just checked the status of my speaker order and it's already is Sacramento! Looks like I should get all 4 on Monday. C'mon Monday!
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
talnlnky
Audio Junky

unfortunately.... unless you spend $500 or more on an spl meter, any value above about 110-120 just isn't going to be accurate. But.... spl meters, even the cheaper ones are fun toys to play with.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #7
Herbicidal

No worries! Like you said, a fun toy to play with. I guess my experiment is more un-scientific, then scientific, but hopefully better than just saying "yeah, that sounds quieter". At least I'll have some numbers to look at.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:53 AM   #8
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
nice ,and i would 100% agree , at least in your own heart you
know exactly how much noise reduction you have achieved.
hmm until the sterio is turned on
keep the pics coming .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #9
DailyDriver

Drives: 3dr Lftback (meteorite) Manual
excited to see how this turns out. more pics the better! THX!
DailyDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
question...... when applying the RAAMmat, what do u do? cover all the metal? i want to do this but its expensive stuff..... and to cover all the metal would use alot of stuff.....

thanks
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 AM   #11
goku87

Drives: Black HB
Quote:
It changed (if I can remember correctly) about the time I got back from my deployment (I think) about a year ago, give or take a few months. They said it was better for shipping and ease of use.
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:59 AM   #12
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Rick sells good stuff. I actually have to get a hold of him to get a Raamaudio decal/sticker for the back windshield...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:28 AM   #13
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
question...... when applying the RAAMmat, what do u do? cover all the metal? i want to do this but its expensive stuff..... and to cover all the metal would use alot of stuff.....

thanks
Yes, that is the idea and many layers are required to block noise , and Yes it's expensive. But it's worth the effort! I'm in the middle of the process and I'm already feeling the good results, I'm using a different approach than the one shown here, but even every little you do, it's a great benefit.

D.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post

thanks
You can also be more selective on where you put the sound deadener. Probably the biggest bang for the buck would be doing the doors, which I'm actually doing last. See Derickveliz2's outstanding thread for more details. You can also look at RAAMaudio's web page in the How-To section ->doors. In fact, I think it's a good idea to review the whole How-To section, then you can decide how much you want to do and where.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #15
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Generally you want to cover as much as possible, add as much weight as you can do the panels. However...

for those on a budget you can maximize the limited material you do have and instead of carpeting all the metal with the stuff just cover say 40-50% of each flat panel of metal with some of the mat. The are diminishing returns after that. With that said, I went 3 layers deep where the rear passengers feet rest... most places I have 1-2 layers tho. IN the future I intend to put about 30sq feet on my front two doors, and another 30ft on my firewall.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Herbicidal

Quote:
Generally you want to cover as much as possible, add as much weight as you can do the panels. However...

for those on a budget you can maximize the limited material you do have and instead of carpeting all the metal with the stuff just cover say 40-50% of each flat panel of metal with some of the mat. The are diminishing returns after that. With that said, I went 3 layers deep where the rear passengers feet rest... most places I have 1-2 layers tho. IN the future I intend to put about 30sq feet on my front two doors, and another 30ft on my firewall.
That's one way to lower your car without the use of aftermarket springs!

My speakers arrived today! Woohoo! I haven't even opened the box yet. I'm relishing the moment... And placed another order for some more RAAMmat and Ensolite. That should allow me to complete the car and hopefully have some leftover to start either the Tundra or the wifes Corolla.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
Herbicidal

I had a whopping 1/2 hour to work on my car last night. I'm not going to pull multiple all-nighters like Derick! I need my sleep!

I did remove the stock rear speakers without damaging the rear window tint. I also popped out the rear "C" pillar covers as I want to get some sound deadening material up there too. And took the new speakers out of the boxes. Here's some new pictures:

Alpine Type R rear speakers. Ya baby!

Kicker door speakers with electronic crossover and tweeters.

Left rear "C" pillar panel removed. Both rear speakers removed.

Right rear "C" pillar panel removed. Notice the stock speaker sitting there...where's the magnet?!? Ohhhh! There it is! Look really close..!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:05 PM   #18
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Where did you buy the digital decibel meter? and how much did you pay for it?