Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 PM   #1
zerosktz

Drives: AE86
3rd gen yaris owners: stock head unit? yay or nay?

just a question to my fellow 3rd gen yaris owners, which among you who have the same have stock oem head unit below (part number PT546-52150 with the AXCP-Q15U T10028 codes on the front) have replaced it? and what have you replaced it with? just wanted to see what everybody else has been doing in regards to aftermarket head units?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zerosktz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I want to replace the factory head unit (which you pictured) and get a regular non-touchscreen type radio system with buttons and such - perhaps the OEM head unit from the 2012-2014 Yaris or something. I just don't have the time to switch it right now, since I have been working 6-7 days per week, 56-62 hours per week for the last 12+ months.

I'm not a fan of the factory head-unit myself. The sunny days here in AZ cause blinding glare off the touchscreen even through tinted windows), making it both useless and annoying as hell during those hours. Plus, I have zero use for Bluetooth, since I don't have any real use for a smartphone (a regular cellphone is fine for the infrequent texting that I need to do). Also, the raised lip at the bottom of the unit makes it difficult to press the #6 preset button in a normal fashion. Regular push-buttons work better and easier than a touchy, more-distracting touch-screen. If it wasn't for the steering wheel volume/ up-down preset controls, I would have yanked that head unit out of the dash and thrown it out of the window into oncoming traffic by now.

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-04-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Mechcondrid

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
ok so i just got a 2016 Yaris SE 5 door hatch and this is the radio i have from the factory; is this in fact a 1.5 din radio bay or is it really a 2 din bay?
Mechcondrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:34 PM   #4
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcondrid View Post
ok so i just got a 2016 Yaris SE 5 door hatch and this is the radio i have from the factory; is this in fact a 1.5 din radio bay or is it really a 2 din bay?
Measure it. Double DIN is defined as 180 wide x 100 mm high. Or roughly 7"x 4".

If it's 200 mm wide, like the radio on older Yarissessii, you'll need a bezel kit.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 PM   #5
Mechcondrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Measure it. Double DIN is defined as 180 wide x 100 mm high. Or roughly 7"x 4".

If it's 200 mm wide, like the radio on older Yarissessii, you'll need a bezel kit.
well i have the exact radio in the OP part code on the front is the same as well
i dont tend to have rulers of any sort with me when i'm out and i'm currently at work so...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
Kar98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechcondrid View Post
well i have the exact radio in the OP part code on the front is the same as well
i dont tend to have rulers of any sort with me when i'm out and i'm currently at work so...
So... I guess you'll never know.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
Mechcondrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
So... I guess you'll never know.
ya being an ass when someone is asking for help, great reaction there bud...

anyway finally found a ruler and it is a 200mm by 100mm radio
Old 03-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Kar98

Glad I could help!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
zerosktz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I want to replace the factory head unit (which you pictured) and get a regular non-touchscreen type radio system with buttons and such - perhaps the OEM head unit from the 2012-2014 Yaris or something. I just don't have the time to switch it right now, since I have been working 6-7 days per week, 56-62 hours per week for the last 12+ months.

I'm not a fan of the factory head-unit myself. The sunny days here in AZ cause blinding glare off the touchscreen even through tinted windows), making it both useless and annoying as hell during those hours. Plus, I have zero use for Bluetooth, since I don't have any real use for a smartphone (a regular cellphone is fine for the infrequent texting that I need to do). Also, the raised lip at the bottom of the unit makes it difficult to press the #6 preset button in a normal fashion. Regular push-buttons work better and easier than a touchy, more-distracting touch-screen. If it wasn't for the steering wheel volume/ up-down preset controls, I would have yanked that head unit out of the dash and thrown it out of the window into oncoming traffic by now.

hey kalispel. im pretty sure you can get an adapter for the aftermarket head unit so you can keep the oem steering wheel controls, whenever it is you decide to switch it.

when you do, let me know! ill buy it from you. i have the same head unit but the scion version for the fr-s, so i want the toyota version for a jdm gt86 conversion. but yeah if anything we can trade or trade + cash, whatever. im not keeping the scion unit once i get a toyota one, so keep me posted!

likewise, if anyone else has replaced this unit with an aftermarket one and just has it laying around, let me know!

thanks!

Old 03-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #10
nolaman7550

Drives: yaris
im looking for a 2015 factory touchscreen radio if anyone has one available. thanks

the toyota part number is PT546-52150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT546-52150.jpg (133.0 KB, 245 views)
nolaman7550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Mechcondrid

ok so bought the parrot asteroid from crutchfield with all the adapters to retain the steering wheel controls
they couldn't tell me if the adapter from axxess would work to retain the oem usb port.
if anyone has popped that open can you see if it's toyota's grey 4 pin molex-like connector for the usb port?
should fit this if it is: AX-TOYUSB
Old 04-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #12
zerosktz

ok so no one has one of these head units lying around? need to buy one! let me know guys!

Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
If I wanted a replacement for my Kenwood DDX4049BT a will try a headunit with more OEM look and a simple design and smartphone integration like the new JBL Legend CP100. It cost around $400 but the OEM ones (Made by Pioneer, Panasonic, Fujitsu Ten) arenīt cheap too.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
zerosktz

anybody looking to replace their 3rd gen yaris stock head unit, im still looking for one to buy. thanks in advance!

Old 05-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #15
91mustang

Drives: Charcoal 2012 Yaris SE 5 Speed
I was thinking of replacing my 2012 se radio out for a touchscreen version (2015+?) but the touch screen radio has more plugs then mine. I'm kind of clueless when it comes to radio wiring and I definitely don't want a headache.
91mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
zerosktz

does no one have this head unit for sale?

Old 09-05-2016, 11:57 PM   #17
Tamer

Drives: BMW
I was thinking of replacing my 2012 se radio out for a touchscreen version (2015+?) but the touch screen radio has more plugs then mine. I'm kind of clueless when it comes to radio wiring and I definitely don't want a headache.
Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #18
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
I really don't like the 3rd Gen Yaris touch - screen head unit. It has a weird user interface that I find pretty non-intuitive. I've also seen it do strange things, like suddenly switching from English into Spanish for no known reason (fortunately I understand Spanish pretty well).

So I don't recommend anyone with an earlier car to swap out their stock head unit for the touch-screen one. Get a Pioneer, Alpine, Clarion. Kenwood, etc, instead.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote