Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
decisions decisions.. any input?

This could really fall into three categories (and could be a poll).

I've saved up a small amount and have allowed myself one of the following.

Trd exhaust

7in in dash monitor

http://www.carpcdvd.com/toyota-new-v...7h84nk7gkr4ca1

Hella LED Tail Lights

All have different purposes. I just can't make up my mind. I'd love the exhaust, I'd really like using a touchscreen in dash. And I am obsessed with LEDs.

Thanks.

Last edited by NZ-FE Vios; 09-26-2011 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Hella not hellas
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

I was also thinking of getting several smaller things instead.. like fog stalk, micro ssk, twm short shifter, power door locks, simota oil catch can.

I just can't decide. I'd like to get to all of this in a somewhat near future.

I already have the trd sway, trd drop in air filter, and tint.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
I would start with the most expensive and work your way down.. If you have the money now, do it.. u might not have that money later. lol... smaller things could be picked up here and there.. the ones you gotta save for are harder because of the small things...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Thanks. Yea can't sweat the small things. I bought fogs, trd shift knob and eyelids too but haven't had time to install.

I think the stereo is the most expensive with all the associating equipment (back up cam, speakers and amps) but I'm not ready to spend what I want on speakers.

The LEDs are superfly but as my friend pointed out, they are not very inconspicuous . Then again niether is an exhaust, if even as tasteful as the trd one is.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

And dude, I'm overdue for a beach visit (can't remember the smell or feel of sand), if I can free up or if ever in the area, we should park our black cars next to eachother for a minute. Same if you are ever in Athens.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Stereo, but only if you are getting GOOD quality, not cheap Chinese knockoff stuff. You probably listen to music when you drive, so this is the mod you will use the most. You can upgrade speakers piece by piece. The HU has got to be legit.

Easily the most expensive thing on your list.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

What's your opinion on that HU?
Old 09-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I know that when I save up or come into a bit of cash,more than the usual in my petty bank account....lol

I like to buy big ticket items,if your gonna get a deck,please buy a decent one,if you buy cheap you will end up buying again.....I am 3 years in to my Pioneer D3 now and it is still going strong,most my buddies who bought the cheap stuff 3 years back have replaced at least once now,some never learn.

Do you already have the other much needed items like front speakers,sub,amp....etc...if not a nice deck will help but not get ya all the way there.

TRD exhaust is great but really spendy,if you dont have too many emmission laws in Georgia I would try another and hit up Garm,he has some nice exhausts on his site for less than TRD

Those Hella tails to me are the sexy......if it was my choice I would get them.

Also hang onto the money a month and shop around,you will be amazed at the things that go on sale the day after you buy it....well that at least is my luck.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #9
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby
Banned

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-FE Vios View Post
What's your opinion on that HU?

great first 3 months then functions will likely fail early due to very low spec components on the PCB of those cheap chinese generics

great design, cheap execution on the pcb.

if it lasts a long time it is purely accidental
A-Dingo-Ate-My-Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Quote:
And dude, I'm overdue for a beach visit (can't remember the smell or feel of sand), if I can free up or if ever in the area, we should park our black cars next to eachother for a minute. Same if you are ever in Athens.
oh yea, definitly. There is a local guy here "SAV912" who has a white one.. we could make an oreo picture. I am pretty busy here for next couple months with autox and my first track event in oct. also going to be moving out this apartment here in november so moneys tight. not to mention my girlfriend much enjoys making fun of me when I talk about yaris meets
Old 09-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #11
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Dingo: too bad. That HU looks really nice. I think it'd be near 500-1000$ to get a brand name HU with those features.

Bzinn: I'm nervous about some of the other exhaust options. I don't want it to be too obnoxious or loud at idle. I like how quiet the car is but dislike the restrictive design of the stock muffler. I've listened to YouTube videos of all three but there is no replacement for see and hearing first hand. I'd just like it to be tasteful and appear factory, thus my lean to trd. I also won't do much else of power mods.
That being said, the county I live in has no emissions check so I could remove cats, and put on something really annoying without getting into much trouble. There are folks around here that have really loud and obnoxious exhausts.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
2mtech

Drives: 2011 Yaris S 3dr Bayou Blue
@NZ - have you looked into adding power door locks? That's something I'd really like to do but haven't checked prices or anything.

I'll always vote for the Tanabe Medalion axle back exhaust too. I didn't want loud, ricey, or obnoxious either and the Tanabe is perfect. Awesome power difference also.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #13
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

2mtech: power door locks looks pretty easily other than taking off all the door panels. It's like 95$ without keyless from http://www.a1electric.com/catalog/cat_key.htm

I believe we have the cable actuated system also.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #14
2mtech

Cool, thanks for the link! I guess I was automatically thinking OEM for some unknown reason. I never realized how used to PDLs I'd gotten til I got this car...now it's a PIA having to use the key all the time!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

The oem ones are nice but i think they are at least double in price and you have to buy piece by piece. The search has a walkthrough. You do just have two doors so it should be less to do, tho.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
nightstalker

Drives: 08 yaris lb
Go with the twm ssk. It is a pretty sweet set up. I aso have base bushings and engine bay bushings.
nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #17
2mtech

Quote:
The oem ones are nice but i think they are at least double in price and you have to buy piece by piece. The search has a walkthrough. You do just have two doors so it should be less to do, tho.
I want to do the hatch too tho...not even sure that's optional aftermarket.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 AM   #18
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
my vote is for the tails, but i'm kind of biased as i've been wanting that mod myself for a really long time!

question to op - where did you find the actual hella tails for the sedan and not the 'hella style'? i'm sure the real deals cost a pretty penny more(that and shipping from europe), but i'm just guessing that there wouldn't be any wire cutting/splicing - just plug and play?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote