Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
Pantry

Drives: Yaris 2010 sedan // 1993 Miata
Are the Blitz Supercharger Kits sold in the United States??

I’ve been looking around and on there site I don’t see a United States shipping option. Does anyone know where I can buy one in the U.S. or if anyone know of turbo kits too. Please link if you know any. And I’m not looking to swap :) my 2010 Yaris sedan only got 29k miles and wanna build off it :)
Pantry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
tl;dr: Do a 2ZR swap instead of a compressor, but work on the Miata instead of a 2ZR swap.

For argument's sake, I'm assuming you mean "no unproven or high fabrication requirement swaps" when you say you're not looking to swap. Things like "D00d, K20 or SR20DET SWAP!" are unhelpful. While there are a few people who have done 1ZZ/3S-GTE/3MZ swaps, they aren't well documented and do require significant fabrication skills to pull off. =)

Having had a Blitz kit on my 1NZ for 3-4 years and a 2ZR swap in the same car for the last 2, I can honestly say that the 2ZR swap is the way to go for reliability and robustness.

Let's look at some pro/con analysis of the options

Initial cost: it's potentially more cost to do a swap. Figure $2000+ for a new supercharger or turbo kit, $3000+ for a 2ZR swap depending on how hard you bargain shop. Labor is highly dependent on your mechanical abilities and/or access to a shop you trust and is willing to work with you. A compressor will require fuel management, which can easily add another $1000 to your build.

Complexity: It's generally less invasive to do a bolt-on mod than a full swap. A Blitz supercharger requires splicing the wire harness. The 2ZR swap requires zero cutting of wires. A supercharger is a bolt-on kit. A turbo may be bolt-on but will probably require custom exhaust to get significant gains. A 2ZR swap is also a bolt-on solution--no fabrication required if you use the xD exhaust.

Engine management: If you run lean, you will break your engine. The Blitz kit has a crude piggyback that puts the ECU into open loop mode (no pulsing of fuel injectors, dump tons of fuel every cycle) to prevent running lean. A turbo kit will require some kind of piggyback or standalone management to run safely. A 2ZR uses a stock ECU and requires no tuning.

Operational cost: If you don't invest up front in a dedicated fuel management system and a tune for regular pump gas, you will need to run premium gas. Not as big of a difference now, but I was paying upwards of $1 more per gallon with the Blitz. I also went through several accessory belts, a few alternators and a few crank pulleys with my setup due to belt tension. The 2ZR runs el cheapo gas, no additional maintenance required.

Gains: Ultimately you're looking at this because you want more go-fast-zoom. I've been there and have learned my lessons the hard way. =) The stock Yaris is rated at 109 bhp or "at the crank" horsepower. A Blitz will do 6-7 lbs of boost so you get about 30 bhp, taking you to roughly 140 bhp. You're limited by belt slip and pulley mechanics so assume that 7 lbs is the top end there. There are no pulley options for the compressor. A conservative turbo build with the same boost will give you the same end result but a different acceleration feel. The 2ZR is rated for 140-150 bhp stock depending on what car it was installed in. You can get a little more than that with a custom (larger diameter) exhaust.

All that said, I think your Miata is really the place to focus all this interest. I AutoX with them and have a very hard time keeping up, even adjusting for class handicaps. There are plenty of aftermarket options for them that are tried and tested and offer dedicated tech support. I've seen turbos, superchargers, LS engine swaps and more on Miatas and they all work well because it's ultimately a better platform. The Yaris is a commuter car with the least expensive road handling equipment possible. The Miata is a bespoke sports car in spite of its low cost and has suspension that is meant to be driven hard. Front wheel drive effectively limits you to about 200 bhp before you have significant traction/steering/handling issues, rear wheel drive will take significantly more before handling is compromised.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote