Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
eii
Rides canyon walls

Drives: 1988 RX7 FC 10th AE
New brake pads and noise

So I got some carbotech pads and this is my first brake pad change I've attempted. Before I changed the pads I was getting some squealing noises when I was barely tapping the brakes. Regardless of the noise, I wanted different brake pads anyways. So I installed the carbotech pads and put some lube stuff on the back of the shims. Then I go out to "bed" in the brakes. I hear some squealing on my right wheel ONLY when I press down super hard. I know there is a break in period for new pads and a proper "bedding" of the pads are required. However would this same noise be related to the noise with my old pads? My old pads didnt seem very worn out and the rotor seems to be in good condition. Should I wait a while till my pads are broken in or could it be something else?

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
eii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
could be dirt or maybe the 'Squealers' are out of place? can you snap some pix?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
could be dirt or maybe the 'Squealers' are out of place? can you snap some pix?
I can take pics tomorrow, I'm just getting over a fever right now and I'm super tired. Just pics of the rotor is what you need? I'll go over the pad install again tomorrow and clean a little more to see if that helps. I dont have to drive anywhere tonight so it'll be ok till tomorrow.

OEM Style Wing Spoiler | TRD Axle-Back Exhaust | Megan Lowering Springs (1.5 f/r) | Simota Carbon Charger Intake | Python 871XP Alarm System | Aluminum Sports Pedal | 17x7 +42mm Enkei J10 Black w/ Silver Lip | 205/40 Falken Ziex-912 | NST Lite Crank Pulley Red | 1ZZ-FE Throttle Body | AMK Racing Header
Old 06-24-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
probably a bent backing plate
Old 06-24-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
So I installed the carbotech pads and put some lube stuff on the back of the shims.
Did you lube all contact points? The sides of the pads where they slide in and out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eii View Post
Then I go out to "bed" in the brakes. I hear some squealing on my right wheel ONLY when I press down super hard. I know there is a break in period for new pads and a proper "bedding" of the pads are required. However would this same noise be related to the noise with my old pads? My old pads didnt seem very worn out and the rotor seems to be in good condition. Should I wait a while till my pads are broken in or could it be something else?
How hard did you bed them in? I talked to carbotech and they said you should smell the breaks, and maybe see a little smoke. I definitely smelled mine when I did them. And once they are properly bedded, that's all the breaking in they need.

Also it sounds like you didn't change or turn your rotors. Take them off and down to a machine shop and they'll turn them for around 20 bucks. Give those new pads a fresh surface to work with.(if you turn them now you'll probably have to rebed them, but I'd call carbotech to make sure)
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Henry G.

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
The Yaris brakes suck I try not to use them.
Has anyone noticed an increase in braking performance with the carbotech pads and was it just resistance to fading or initial feel and performance?
Henry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #7
eii
Rides canyon walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Did you lube all contact points? The sides of the pads where they slide in and out?

How hard did you bed them in? I talked to carbotech and they said you should smell the breaks, and maybe see a little smoke. I definitely smelled mine when I did them. And once they are properly bedded, that's all the breaking in they need.

Also it sounds like you didn't change or turn your rotors. Take them off and down to a machine shop and they'll turn them for around 20 bucks. Give those new pads a fresh surface to work with.(if you turn them now you'll probably have to rebed them, but I'd call carbotech to make sure)
Yeah, I've read it maybe the rotors reguardless if they LOOK ok. However the right side was significantly dirtier than the left, so that may be it. I'll go over everything you guys said.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #8
eii
Rides canyon walls

I drove a bit and no noise till the brakes heated up and it started to squeal again. hrm..

Old 06-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

You didn't reface the disks? There'll be a pretty long breakin period till the worn surfaces of the disks take on the wear pattern they get with the different pad material.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote