Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #19
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
I like it, but I wish the area just in front of the display was sunken just a 1/4 to 1/2" so that I could throw my wallet up there or whatever and it wouldn't slide right off.
i took some black drawer liner (the kind you would use in your kitchen cabinets to protect the glasses)... & cut it to fit that 1/2 circle then used some 'Goop' and stuck it on there. it works like a charm to keep coins, cell phone, etc from sliding around. i also added it to the various compartments around the car... looks awesome!

http://www.organizes-it.com/pogripit...wer+Organizers
Old 11-10-2006, 04:48 PM   #20
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
that is somewhat true. As i said before, it probably saves them in production cost because it isnt turned to the left or right to face the driver. if it was really about being a safety feature it would be tilted somewhat for convenience.
the middle console in the echo is tilted towards the driver, it seems they took a step back with the yaris.

argylesocks- great idea!
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #21
Nivyn

Drives: Blk Sand Pearl 2007 Yaris LE
I didn't find it that different from driving a "regular" car with a console behind the wheel. Sure it saves the company money on transferring sides while manufacturing, but otherwise, it does give room for extra compartments and for some reason I kinda like it :D. no beefs here.
Nivyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #22
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
I'm not sure I buy that cost effectiveness thing. The dash seems pretty modular now so what would it take to slap a set of gauges where the glove box is.

Once junkyards start filling up with wrecked Yari I am going to grab a spare glove box lid and see about fabbing up a custom gauge cluster.

I really need a tach and a water temp gauge.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:17 PM   #23
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
I'm not sure I buy that cost effectiveness thing. The dash seems pretty modular now so what would it take to slap a set of gauges where the glove box is.

Once junkyards start filling up with wrecked Yari I am going to grab a spare glove box lid and see about fabbing up a custom gauge cluster.

I really need a tach and a water temp gauge.
Doesn't US Yaris already have a tach ? Canadian models (base) already have a tach as well as a hot engine light...

A behind the steering gages would be a very nice idea... And had that central dash completely removed & the remaining hole covered with a plastic sheet so as to fit well around
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 04:19 PM   #24
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
no tach in the HB.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:43 PM   #25
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Quote:
no tach in the HB.
Right. I wish there was a tach, an oil pressure gauge, a battery/volt gauge, and a coolant temp gauge. That's basic stuff. They should be standard on all Yarii.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
no tach in the HB.
that sucks. Base HB here has the tach
Attached Images

hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #27
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
it also helps it make different even though it didn't need help
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #28
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
God, Ive really grown to love the centre console incredibly! But even on my first drive I was very open minded about it, and it took me not even 2 days before I was completely accustomed to it.

I love not having to glance through the steering wheel. Think its great. No complaints at all here.

Jem
Old 12-13-2006, 08:20 PM   #29
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
The drive by wire thing saves them money also I bet
oem style foglights
96tacoma 4x4 xcab I4auto
Weathertech vent visors
Scan GaugeII
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:56 PM   #30
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
I love not having to glance through the steering wheel. Think its great. No complaints at all here. Jem
I don't understand why auto writers find the center console so "annoying". They complain that it is a safety hazard because they have to take their eyes off of the road look to the right to see the speedometer. Excuse me, but why the hell do they never complain about having to crank their necks to the right to check the outside mirror or the blind spot??? WTF?
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #31
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
WELL i imagine alot of those writers are profesional car reviewers, some of them probably driving for a living 8-10 hours a day 5-7 days a week, then go home and drive for themselves and their families and friends.

I mean sure we all drvie alot, but most of us dont do it for a living. So checking blind spots all of that, thats pretty universal for just about any car, but i bet after 20 years of driving a car for a living you get really adjusted to having everything, like your speedometer...lol...in a particular place.

try to mix that up and give you one week--or one hour--to get used to it...thats asking way too much for a regular guy, maybe even the best of guys/girls.
Years of constant experience forms habits that dont wear of quickly...cant you imagine them constantly checking between the steering wheel and not finding it...lol, got to be terrible for professional drivers of 10 or more years.

And of course those that dont do it for a living are going to be more sensitive to what the more reputable reviewers say, and they will spend even less time in the car--maybe mere minutes.
So of course they would be very admantly opposed to it, i bet i would be too in those situations.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote