Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:56 PM   #1
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Old 06-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Holy Shit! These Megan springs are excellent. I just got finished installing them tonight (pics tromorrow) and I went to fix a friends computer. Coming home I went down a road that has been torn to crap, like a 2 foot wide ditch was dug in the middle and patched really crappy. With my regular OEM springs I could only take a few seconds of my right tires riding over that crappy patch job, but with these new ones, it was like budduh. I swear I could hardly feel them. The patch job goes on for like half a mile and I paid very close attention to the feel of the road and it was incredibly smooth feeling compare to the OEM springs. AWESOME!! Thanks Chris and BrickHard!!!

It dropped from 26.5" (measured from ground to fender) to a little under 25". 1.5" drop like they claimed. Looks real gooooood!

BTW - I went to sears and got one of these Craftsman 17 x 19mm Wrench, Deep Offset Box End for the top strut bolt. It works like a champ!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Old 06-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
Holy Shit! These Megan springs are excellent. I just got finished installing them tonight (pics tromorrow) and I went to fix a friends computer. Coming home I went down a road that has been torn to crap, like a 2 foot wide ditch was dug in the middle and patched really crappy. With my regular OEM springs I could only take a few seconds of my right tires riding over that crappy patch job, but with these new ones, it was like budduh. I swear I could hardly feel them. The patch job goes on for like half a mile and I paid very close attention to the feel of the road and it was incredibly smooth feeling compare to the OEM springs. AWESOME!! Thanks Chris and BrickHard!!!

It dropped from 26.5" (measured from ground to fender) to a little under 25". 1.5" drop like they claimed. Looks real gooooood!

BTW - I went to sears and got one of these Craftsman 17 x 19mm Wrench, Deep Offset Box End for the top strut bolt. It works like a champ!

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes
Glad you are happy with the feel. I definately prefer a stiffer, shorter travel feel over that OEM stuff. Measure in a few weeks after they settle. Have you measured from the bottom of the hub center to the fender also? Not sure what tires you are on I'll check your garage. Churp says he didn't get quite the drop that Megan advertised but he seems very please with them also. Bet you like the look better without that huge gap.

anyway your measurements add up, cool
Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
nsmitchell

These springs don't feel that stiff. I have not had them on the highway yet though. Going to work tomorrow on the crappy Cary St. in Richmond should reveal a lot about these. I am also getting an alignment ASAP! Like tomorrow if possible. I'm just amazed at how they soaked up that bumpy crappy road. I'm still in disbelief. I looked at the patches, and it was night time, but I don't think a crew has smoothed them out yet. I think the springs did! I recommend these to anyone who wants a smooth ride that looks cool too. Not necessarily Megan but anything besides OEM!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:53 AM   #5
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Glad to here somone else finally put them on! I think they're great but have nothing to compare to besides stock....I think they're quite a bit stiffer than stock but softer than an RX7 I have, and have never bottomed out.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:37 AM   #6
nsmitchell

Hmm.., mine feel supple. Takes bumps better, a lot better! Very Nice! High Five!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Where would one locate a 'spring compressor'? Im thinking of doing this mod. You've finally talked me into it. Can I rent one from AutoZone as a loaner tool?

And no, i'm not buying one as I will never use the freaking thing again!
Old 06-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Where would one locate a 'spring compressor'? Im thinking of doing this mod. You've finally talked me into it. Can I rent one from AutoZone as a loaner tool?

And no, i'm not buying one as I will never use the freaking thing again!
Autozone will "loan" it to you by selling it to you and then refunding your ca$h when you return it. My spring compressors were brand new. I'm returning mine today. Also see of they have a deep offset 17mm wrench to "loan" to you. REALLY helps with getting the top nut off the strut. (hey, that rhymes!)

BTW - The only drawback to lowering I've seen is some rubbing on the inside of the wheel wells when hitting big bumps. But then again, what did I expect??
Old 06-06-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
nsmitchell

I wonder if my bumpstops may be farting. Apparently you are supposed to line up the grooves to the holes... I may remove my struts and glue my bumpstops back together with Gorilla glue. Then make sure I line up the bumpstops correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suspension (Large).jpg (86.1 KB, 542 views)
Old 07-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
I wonder if my bumpstops may be farting. Apparently you are supposed to line up the grooves to the holes... I may remove my struts and glue my bumpstops back together with Gorilla glue. Then make sure I line up the bumpstops correctly.
What does the noise sound like? I've noticed a weird noise coming from my driver side when the suspension is compressed and I didn't know there was any lining up to be done with the bump stops...this may be what I've been hearing too!

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
Old 07-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver centric View Post
What does the noise sound like? I've noticed a weird noise coming from my driver side when the suspension is compressed and I didn't know there was any lining up to be done with the bump stops...this may be what I've been hearing too!

+1
Old 07-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
nsmitchell

Mine has quieted down now, but it did literally sound like a small but powerful fart at full compression. My springs take bumps great, like speed bumps, no problems. Only a shallow dish shaped hole will make it bottom slightly. I have located the 3 places on my daily trip that caused these bottoms to occur and now I hit them a tad slower and no problems at all.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:55 PM   #13
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
ahah yeah i was comming back from bellvile picking up my friend and i realized if i do like 80-90 and the road changes... like rasied or lowered and the car u know like sinks and comes back up... if i slow down a bit i dont get it anymore
Old 07-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
driver centric
I know right?

Drives: 07 Bayou LB
Like you guys I've noticed a couple places on my daily commute where I can guarantee the noise will happen. They're usually like you said, a dish-shaped hole where the suspension is unloaded and then compressed. I don't feel like tearing the suspension apart to realign the bumpstop so I guess I'll live with it. At least now I know what the likely source of the noise is.

07 Bayou Blue Liftback 5-spd manual
Closed Thread