Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
vdooone

Drives: 2009 Basic Yaris
2009 Hatchback Trailer hitch basket

Hi guys
I'm new to this forum. I am part of other forums for the vehicles I own...
I have installed the cruise control on my really bare Yaris. Idk if I should post the pictorial about how I did it since seems like everything has been done is already posted here.

But anyway, I wanna know what can I do to put in this car:
phone 497.jpg

this scooter
zuma.jpg

using this hitch, and its corresponding basket:
cu11050.jpg

They affirm in the Hitch site that the max tongue weight is 200lbs. The scooter weights 290lbs wet and i refuse to buy a trailer. I'd be hauling the scooter at 80mph up I-95 for when we go to NYC in the summer time.

Any attachments or extra welding I'd have to add in to reinforce this?. Any engineered suggestions from the really smart and car savvy guys here?

I really appreciate in advance your time and inputs.
vdooone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Have a 290 LB person stand on your rear bumper and you'll see the back end really sink (probably just about to the bump stops). The problem is that the weight will be behind the rear axle.

My snowplow on crashy is basically the same thing on the other end of the car. The first time that I mounted the plow to my home made plow frame (which ties to the bumper mounts and the lower front cross member), the plow immediately sank to just a couple of inches off of the ground. The whole plow assembly only weighs about 150 lbs, but having the weight that far in front of the axle created the issue. To compensate I had to make a custom 4" lift kit to raise the front suspension.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Have a 290 LB person stand on your rear bumper and you'll see the back end really sink (probably just about to the bump stops). The problem is that the weight will be behind the rear axle.

My snowplow on crashy is basically the same thing on the other end of the car. The first time that I mounted the plow to my home made plow frame (which ties to the bumper mounts and the lower front cross member), the plow immediately sank to just a couple of inches off of the ground. The whole plow assembly only weighs about 150 lbs, but having the weight that far in front of the axle created the issue. To compensate I had to make a custom 4" lift kit to raise the front suspension.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
Mead

Drives: BSP Yaris LB 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdooone View Post
Any attachments or extra welding I'd have to add in to reinforce this?. Any engineered suggestions from the really smart and car savvy guys here?

I really appreciate in advance your time and inputs.
you wanna hang 300lbs behind your yaris doing 80 mph you understand SIMPLE laws of physics? panic stop much? steer much?

this is job for a trailer but if you're serious, hang 150 lbs off the front and DRIVE SLOW

edit: I have the same Curt hitch, with 50 lbs of bicycle and rack i can feel the difference turning on the street, 80 mph is suicide

Last edited by Mead; 01-19-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Mead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
yikes. get a hitch and a cheep trailer from Harbor Freight.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdooone View Post
I'd be hauling the scooter at 80mph up I-95 for when we go to NYC in the summer time.
First question is, why do you need to go 80mph on the interstate in the first place? That's 15 over the speed limit... Hell, in Pennsylvania that's 25 over...

But, to the topic at hand, I'd bite the bullet and get a tiny trailer. When I moved to where I'm at now I loaded up my Yaris to the brim... like max capacity as per the owner's manual... and it wasn't the safest feeling trip in the world. I couldn't imagine taking that weight and moving a large amount of it to a floating basket attached to the back of the car...

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
vdooone

Drives: 2009 Basic Yaris
I understand a bit a physics. But after all these inputs I learned one thing: Trailer
Now, with a trailer I guess I can haul big momma, maybe?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0320.jpg (193.3 KB, 102 views)
vdooone is offline   Reply With Quote