Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
dinop
dino

Drives: '07 Toyota Yaris (sedan)
Changing Remote Settings

so as of late, I've been using my 2009 toyota yaris to carpool a group of people from our school campus to the sports complex where our track team practices. Every day I come accross the same annoyance of having to press the unlock button on my remote multiple times in order to unlock all the doors. I know that this can be changed at the dealer to unlock all the doors with one press of the button, but I called my dealer today and they quoted me $40-$50 to do it. That doesn't seem fair at all, for something that small (considering my cousin recently had his done at a dealership out-of-state for no cost at all). Unfortunately, there isn't another Toyota dealership for MILES from my town so My question for you is: can this be done without the dealership?

I've included a pic of the page in the manual that describes what I'm talking about.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (41.5 KB, 59 views)

Dino, VT
07 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 281k, daily driver
09 Toyota Yaris Sedan- stock, 128k...parents car
95 Audi S6- alt daily driver, 5 cyl turbo, 224k
75 Triumph TR6- Current restoration project, 8k
dinop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I am not aware of any way to do it other than using the TechStream tool or an equivalent device.

If you purchase a Bluetooth or WiFi ELM327 device and connect it to a laptop, I can walk you through a very simple CAN bus command to change it yourself. You can pick up the ELM327 devices for under $10 off ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-...item2a2fb332aa
Old 04-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #3
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I was wondering about this myself. I just spent several hours online trying to find a way to reprogram the remotes but all I could find was the "open door, close door, insert key, etc." instructions to program a replacement key fob. Then I come here and find this thread. I find it annoying to have to push the remote twice but it looks like I'm going to have to get used to it, there's no way I'm paying a dealer to reprogram them for me.

It does seem strange though, I've owned both Chrysler and VW products in recent years and in both cases it was a simple matter of pressing buttons on the remote in a certain sequence to reprogram for one push operation.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote