Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Error code readers (ODBII)

Well I had my ABS and "!" lights on at the same time recently, then it dissapeared, so I decided to go out and purchase a code reader.

This one was pretty cheap ($25) so I didn't expect anything much, but for some reason it won't work properly. It flashes -01- through -05- then says ERR. (http://www.uiftech.com/productInfo.jsp?ProID=20)

Does anyone know if I need a special reader for our ODBII port? Or should any ODBII scanner work?
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Should be no need for any special reader, but that one you got looks like cheese. CTC had a good one on for real cheap this week. Missed out on it myself, sale ended on the 28th
Old 12-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Or you could purchase a ScanGauge which will let you read codes AND clear them. It can do a whole lot more. Just Google it.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Well I had my ABS and "!" lights on at the same time recently, then it dissapeared, so I decided to go out and purchase a code reader.

This one was pretty cheap ($25) so I didn't expect anything much, but for some reason it won't work properly. It flashes -01- through -05- then says ERR. (http://www.uiftech.com/productInfo.jsp?ProID=20)

Does anyone know if I need a special reader for our ODBII port? Or should any ODBII scanner work?
Any standard one will work. I have a homemade one (based on a PIC16F877) and an ELM327 and both work fine. The PDF manual for the one you bought doesn't mention "ERR", so it may be a malfunction of the device.

Unless your Malfunction Indicator Light was on as well, you won't see a stored DTC. The TPWS and ABS ECU's have their own reporting over the CAN bus, typically accessed with the Toyota TechStream tool. You can get the TPWS ECU to report its error via flashes of the ! light. See the following post for how to make it do so:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Any standard one will work. I have a homemade one (based on a PIC16F877) and an ELM327 and both work fine. The PDF manual for the one you bought doesn't mention "ERR", so it may be a malfunction of the device.

Unless your Malfunction Indicator Light was on as well, you won't see a stored DTC. The TPWS and ABS ECU's have their own reporting over the CAN bus, typically accessed with the Toyota TechStream tool. You can get the TPWS ECU to report its error via flashes of the ! light. See the following post for how to make it do so:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=11
Yeah I looked through the manual and didn't see ERR anywhere either.

The "!" I was refering to was the parking brake light, not the TPWS since I don't have that on my car (2007 model, year before we got them in Canada).

It could be because the lights are no longer lit on my dash so it's not giving me any codes.

So the Scanguage is the way to go if you want to read stored codes?
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
Yeah I looked through the manual and didn't see ERR anywhere either.

The "!" I was refering to was the parking brake light, not the TPWS since I don't have that on my car (2007 model, year before we got them in Canada).

It could be because the lights are no longer lit on my dash so it's not giving me any codes.

So the Scanguage is the way to go if you want to read stored codes?

Unless the MIL light was lit, you still wouldn't have logged any codes. I don't believe that the brake system has any DTC's that will be reported on the OBDII.

The Scanguage is a great code reader/resetter and is quite a bit more, hence its price tag. If you are just looking to occasionally read and reset codes I would go with a cheaper device, or just go to your local auto parts store - Most will read and reset for free.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
generic code scanners will read powertrain and network codes, P or U codes for our cars from the PCM but to read any body or chasis codes, B or C codes from any other modules you will need a scanner that has CAN compliant toyota enhanced software. without spending big $ you wont get that software easily.

also even if the light already turned off there will still be a history code stored for some time. but without the right software you will never be able to get those codes from any module besides the PCM

Last edited by seth_man; 01-01-2009 at 08:30 PM.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
devinlamothe

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth_man View Post
generic code scanners will read powertrain and network codes, P or U codes for our cars from the PCM but to read any body or chasis codes, B or C codes from any other modules you will need a scanner that has CAN compliant toyota enhanced software. without spending big $ you wont get that software easily.

also even if the light already turned off there will still be a history code stored for some time. but without the right software you will never be able to get those codes from any module besides the PCM
Thanks for the info seth_man. I guess I will just bring it to the dealer and shell the $75 to get the codes checked. Beats paying a lot for an upgraded ODBII reader.