Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
white_rice

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris LE
Send a message via MSN to white_rice
Cool Power upgrades for 04 Echo Hatch RS

Hey guys.. a good friend and co-worker of mine just purchased an 04 Echo RS Hatchback. Its in really good shape and has already been slightly modded. Had a Borla dual tip centre exit exhaust, AEM cold air intake, TRD front strut brace, 17" MSR? black wheels, Eibach lowering springs, OBX aluminum racing pedals, aftermarket steering wheel, 10" Kicker sub in carpeted box, Eclipse speakers in rear, etc.. Might actually have been a previous owner of the forum here? It's blue in colour.

Anyways he isn't the most computer savvy and asked if I could ask a couple of questions. He would like to add power side mirrors to the car and also power windows and locks as it doesn't have any of the above. Are all of these mods do-able at a reasonable price? Is there somewhere that sells any of these kits or parts at a reasonable cost, and how-to guides anywhere? Any help would be appreciated. He is very mechanically inclined but just needs to know where to source out everything.

Thanks! :)
white_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Was that the one with like 200k? Big tach on the steering column?

Power locks was a factory option, you might be able to find a junker and strip all the necessary stuff out. Power windows was never offered in Canada, only person I know to have them is BluevitzRS and he took all the parts out of a puerto rico spec RS (i think) years ago. The power mirrors he would need to buy the JDM mirrors/switch and wire it in himself.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
white_rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_vitz View Post
Was that the one with like 200k? Big tach on the steering column?

Power locks was a factory option, you might be able to find a junker and strip all the necessary stuff out. Power windows was never offered in Canada, only person I know to have them is BluevitzRS and he took all the parts out of a puerto rico spec RS (i think) years ago. The power mirrors he would need to buy the JDM mirrors/switch and wire it in himself.
Yes that is the one he bought! The large tach on the dash. And it has just over 200K as you mentioned. Did you know the owner or was it advertised on here?

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it along! Do you know a decent reliable place he could order those JDM mirrors and switch from?

Cheers!
Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_rice View Post
Yes that is the one he bought! The large tach on the dash. And it has just over 200K as you mentioned. Did you know the owner or was it advertised on here?

Thanks for the advice. I will pass it along! Do you know a decent reliable place he could order those JDM mirrors and switch from?

Cheers!
I saw it for sale on Kijiji. Didn't know the owner just local to me.

I bought my mirriors locally from a part-out. You might find some on rpmgarage.com or ebay
Old 09-13-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Yeah, for power windows, as far as I know I'm the only one in north america to have them on a Canadian Echo HB. I had to gut the inside of both my car and the donor car to pull the wiring.

If that car really is an RS, then it's a 5 door and should already have power locks. The RS's came with it stock.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:21 AM   #6
white_rice

Thanks for the info! So it might very well be a non RS then with improper badging! I will have to give him a heads up. So was your's not a RS either then originally either Bluevitz? I will let him know it's a difficult install!
Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #7
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Mine is a true RS. It has 5 doors and all the interior and exterior. I bought it from the dealer like that. I just happen to work for Toyota Canada at the time and swap parts with a training car that we were going to get rid of. Not for the RS stuff but the power windows and rear axle.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
white_rice

Very nice! Well I will let him know that power mirrors is a doable install, but likely not power windows. His I would say must be re-badged then because it doesn't have power anything. I will try and keep an eye out for power mirrors and power locks anyways! :)