Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Door Key ?

I spun out on the ice this winter so I had to replace the drivers side door with one from the JY.

She's as good as new except one minor detail: a didn't get the key for the door when I bought it. Its an 09. Is there anyway to find the right key for this I wouldn't mind a second key, one for ignition one for the door.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
regal

OK this is silly. I have the VIN number from the JY door. But that's not good enough you have to be a paying dues locksmith to get a key code from the VIN, stupid.

Any other way?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
OK this is silly. I have the VIN number from the JY door. But that's not good enough you have to be a paying dues locksmith to get a key code from the VIN, stupid.

Any other way?
If you remove the lock assembly and bring it to the locksmith with your original key, they may be able to re-pin the lock to match your existing key.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
regal

Probably take me 2 hrs to remove the lock another 2 hrs at the lock smith, can go into work and make $500 for 6 hrs so not worth it.

I found a company that can give you the key code from the VIN + techstream ECU dump for $12 that sounds like fun I may try that route.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Why not just lock the drivers door with the button and open the passenger door with the key you already have?

BTW I am 58 this year and have never locked my doors and nothing bad ever happened.

I guess that's because I don't own cars anyone would want to steal and I don't leave anything in the car ditto.