Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-21-2006, 06:28 PM   #19
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by static808
if the insulation kit doesnt work, are you then allowed to replace parts inside of the panels?? just curious since my sienna has a rattle in the drivers seatbelt area, has the insulation kit installed, and STILL rattles in cold weather conditions (early morning, late night driving). i've got a case number going with toyota corporate, and a case manager is supposed to call by tomorrow letting me know my next options (the vans been in 3 times already for this, and all attempts have failed). its a shame since we absolutely LOVE this van, aside from the fact that every now and then it sounds like a small geiger counter is going off behind my left ear...

--B
there is nothing to replace behind it. on the sienna b-pillar you have 2 10mm bolts for the grab handle (most of the time they are the problem on sienna's for rattle problems near your b-pillar)...besides that you have the clip in panel. the seatbelt adjuster is slipped into the pillar panel and its plastic on plastic. the only metal is the top ancor on the adjustor that the seatbelt bolts into. the hum that comes from the b-pillar is sometimes fixed with felting the slide or i have used a very thick grease that comes with a tsb on 4runner sunroofs.

all cars rattle, my corolla does, my gm does, my fords have... how do you think the people feel with ferrari's 6 series bmw's and sl55 amgs that have rattles... all automakers have rattles.
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 PM   #20
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
rattling helps you know your cars on
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:42 PM   #21
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSIbucky
rattling helps you know your cars on
that was totally out of place dude. didnt fit the atomosphere of this thread at all.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:06 AM   #22
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyotech
there is nothing to replace behind it. on the sienna b-pillar you have 2 10mm bolts for the grab handle (most of the time they are the problem on sienna's for rattle problems near your b-pillar)...besides that you have the clip in panel. the seatbelt adjuster is slipped into the pillar panel and its plastic on plastic. the only metal is the top ancor on the adjustor that the seatbelt bolts into. the hum that comes from the b-pillar is sometimes fixed with felting the slide or i have used a very thick grease that comes with a tsb on 4runner sunroofs.

all cars rattle, my corolla does, my gm does, my fords have... how do you think the people feel with ferrari's 6 series bmw's and sl55 amgs that have rattles... all automakers have rattles.
i know that was off-topic (sienna discussion), but thanx for the information! it's really weird how this noise (more of a ticking sound than a rattle actually)only occurs during cold weather conditions and slightly during left-hand turns. i mean, the first time i took it in, the service manager said that the noise definitely does not belong in the vehicle, whether its a $33K van or a $12K yaris. if they cant fix it, i might negotiate for a repurchase, since the noise does become deafening while driving at night, meaning there may be a factory flaw in the overall build of the vehicle. i know, i know, its just a ticking sound. but if its soo small a problem, why cant they fix it?? its like toyota placed a small time bomb behind my left ear, and it's set to go whenever we drive during darkness...

--B
Old 11-22-2006, 01:46 AM   #23
eco

Drives: 2007 Black Yaris sedan
I have a sedan,and I only noticed one rattle sofar,it was the speedometer/odometer/tach cover,I put pressure on the cover with my hand,and no more rattles,my arm gets pretty tired though....lol...Na,I just havnt figured out how Im going to fix it.
eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #24
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
i've noticed the same rattle recently... I'll track it down, doesnt reallybother me though.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:19 AM   #25
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Try shifting into "N" mine rattles whenever I have the radio on low or off ; but found that when i shift into "N" the rattle goes away.

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 06:27 AM   #26
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
you can do that or......

Dynamat :)........dynamat fixes everything :) :) :)
Old 11-22-2006, 06:28 AM   #27
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkalush
Try shifting into "N" mine rattles whenever I have the radio on low or off ; but found that when i shift into "N" the rattle goes away.
normally my radio is up to a decent level, so its not a big deal. I imagined with so much plastic there would be some rattling... was said before, just about every car has some kind of rattle.

I find the rattle is only when accelerating, shifting to N isnt really an option at that point lol.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #28
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
I'd take it in ASAP if it's getting your nuts! That could be really REALLY dangerous
The thing is that it happens rarely...
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #29
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_saint
I'd take it in ASAP if it's getting your nuts! That could be really REALLY dangerous
hahaha, i just re-read that post and i dont think people are getting the comedy behind it...HILARIOUS...

--B
Old 02-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #30
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
i fixed the rattling sound
just take apart the console and its the dash console vibrating against the cluster. what u need to do it take electrical tape and tape it to the cluster's prongs that hold the dash console together. When i did this, the rattling was gone instantly.... I'll post pics up
Old 02-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #31
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'm lucky, no rattles, even after having the car all torn apart to install the stereo system..

I did have a metallic rattle that worried me for a bit, then I realized it was my various keychains hitting each other. Doh!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:24 PM   #32
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I am now getting a rattle from the dash up near the windshield on the drivers side. At least I think that's where the noise is coming from. It is NOT coming from the glovebox or gauge cluster. Anyone have a successful fix for this?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:42 AM   #33
wushumasterku

Drives: 06 White LE HB 5spd
i did nothing and it's gone.

could be it's not winter anymore?
Old 09-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #34
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
Maybe bad roads? I don't have any but roads are outstanding down here.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #35
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Yes it is from the cluster/parts around it, dismantel it and drive, all the noise will be gone. I also noticed this noise depends on temperature.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #36
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I've got so many rattles (some come and go) that I've stopped worrying about them.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote