Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Spacer Template for Hatchback Aftermarket Speaker Install

Hey guys,

I took some time this weekend to get some measurements of the speaker brackets for the hatchback (mine's a five door) as I will begin a complete overhaul of the audio components.

As others have mentioned, the stock speaker is actually the bracket for the speaker. Therefore if you remove the stock speaker, you will need a bracket to mount your aftermarket speaker.

I opted to use custom spacers because I want as little air as possible between the metal, bracket/spacer, and the speaker's chassis. Air = shitty sound reproduction.

This is a template for the Front and Rear door speakers.

Instructions as follows:

1) Print out the template
2) Find out the MOUNTING DIAMETER of your aftermarket speaker
3) Draw the mounting diameter of your aftermarket speaker using the centre (X) as the point of ref. I strongly suggest using a protractor
4) Cut the template along the outside edge carefully
5) Cut out the inside circle that you drew in Step 3) carefully
6) Voila, you now have a template to use on MDF, High grade plywood, or any other material you wish to use.

Notes: Depending on your aftermarket speaker, I would suggest using 1/2" thick MDF as the material for your custom spacer. 1/2" gives clearance to larger components.

Enjoy and good luck!

PS - If you wish to reuse the stock speaker bracket, you have to carefully and cleanly remove the speaker component from the bracket. This will pretty much destroy and render the stock speaker useless.

If anyone is familiar with CorelDraw, you are more than welcome to PM me for the CDR file which will allow you to draw a precise and exact circle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Spacer - Yarisworld.pdf (15.8 KB, 1927 views)
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Wow, its that complicated isn't it? Thanks for the template Bigsky2, I'll be needing this soon.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Wow, its that complicated isn't it? Thanks for the template Bigsky2, I'll be needing this soon.
Yes, it is that complicated

The problem with the stock speaker is that the speaker and bracket are integrated together as one piece. So if you remove the stock speaker, you have a hole in your door that is too big for your aftermarket speaker.

Others on the forum have reused the stock bracket successfuly, like Violin and Alexandre. This effectively destroys the stock speaker, so keep that in mind.

I originally wanted to create a spacer template for the REAR speaker in the hatchback because the stock speaker size is larger than 5.25". So even if I wanted to reuse the stock bracket, I would have to modify it somehow to fit my 5" coaxials. I thought while I'm at it, why not make a template for the front and just use spacers all around.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of creating spacers, you can use the stock bracket. There is LOTS of room for a speaker with a larger mounting depth. The speaker hole can easily accept 2.75" depth, so if you are planning on getting uber components DO IT!

Couple more notes:

- I left out the locations of the screw holes for the spacer, but you can easily figure this out on your own if you are inclined to use a spacer. If anyone wants me to post a template with the holes that line up to the door hole, let me know and I'll get one prepared.

- The best way to remove the stock speaker is to DRILL OUT the rivets with a drill bit and power drill. I forget what size I used but the diameter of the drill bit was smaller than say, a wooden pencil (half the size probably).

Thank you to hasher22 for excellent instructions on how to remove the stock speakers and thanks to Violin for posting the service manuals for this awesome car.

BTW - anyone planning to a DIY audio install should download the service manual ASAP. This will help with your install greatly and will prevent any breaking of clips and fasteners when you remove panels and other pieces.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #4
funkstrong

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Thanks for the template, I'm going to be doing this install shortly. I think using 1/2" MDF is the way to go for sure. Anything to kill extra resonance should make the sound that much better.
funkstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

You're very welcome.

Good luck with the install - while you're at it sound deaden your doors!
Old 03-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #6
eD - Chris

Drives: Scion tC
I've been trying to find a picture of the actual stock speakers but am having some difficulty.

Is it safe to assume they look exactly like this:

Those are a pair of tC spacers, but they seem to fit in every Toyota/Lexus/Scion.

Of course, as bigsky noted, the rears are slightly smaller than the fronts.
eD - Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Sorry, I tossed my stock speakers after I removed them so I can't take pics of them.

Someone on the forum has taken pics of them before, and posted about it on a thread somewhere.

The stock speakers do not look like the picture. The stock speaker is basically a spacer + speaker integrated set; once you remove the speaker, all that remains on the door are three holes. Hence, the need for a custom spacer/bracket or gutting the stock speaker and using the remains as a spacer.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM   #8
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
he is right, there is no spacer for the stock door speakers in my yaris sedan...all it had was a small speaker with a flimsy plastic spacer less than a 2mm thick and spaced the speaker from the door about 1"...it used three cheap pop rivets to hold the spacer/speaker in place.

All you will find when you grind the rivets off and pop the speaker out is 3 small holes.

If you can't afford to buy a 6.5" 1cm or 2cm spacer(only 10 bucks where I live) then use plastic spacer part of a old 6.5" speaker grill.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Or you can make your own
Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
eD - Chris

I may have worded that poorly :)

I know the stock speaker is a weird shape and built up with plastic from the door. I was just wondering if that was the basic outside shape up front. I did find a post with the rears and they had the extra box sticking out the side, but after going through all 16 pages of ICE posts, couldn't find a pic of the front doors removed.

That is a picture of a stock tC speaker sitting next to a new speaker in its baffle.

Does the front speaker in a Yaris look like the stock tC speaker?
Old 03-28-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

You didn't search hard enough!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...16&postcount=1

That's what the front speakers look like for the hatchback, and the rears are the same except only smaller.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:07 PM   #12
eD - Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsky2 View Post
You didn't search hard enough!

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...16&postcount=1

That's what the front speakers look like for the hatchback, and the rears are the same except only smaller.
So they are the same...minus a little plastic trim.

Well, that and the actual speaker itself...please tell me the motor structure is hidden inside the plastic and that little tiny 1" looking thing isn't the entire motor.

If it is, please tell me it's a neo motor :)
Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM   #13
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

That tiny 1" nubbin is the motor.

Have fun ripping it to shreds!
Old 03-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #14
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spades View Post
he is right, there is no spacer for the stock door speakers in my yaris sedan...all it had was a small speaker with a flimsy plastic spacer less than a 2mm thick and spaced the speaker from the door about 1"...it used three cheap pop rivets to hold the spacer/speaker in place.

All you will find when you grind the rivets off and pop the speaker out is 3 small holes.

If you can't afford to buy a 6.5" 1cm or 2cm spacer(only 10 bucks where I live) then use plastic spacer part of a old 6.5" speaker grill.

hehe i find you actually funny, for using the Canadian METRIC system for mesurements :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #15
taracor

Drives: 2009 5 Dr. Hatch
If it's not too much trouble, can you post a template with screw holes? Thank you!
taracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
Rnankoo

Drives: Toyota Yaris meteorite silver
how do u remove the Rivets that hold down the speakers and how do u remove the panels
Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
I haven't had my panels off yet but you drill the rivets out.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #18
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
rnankoo. start here: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=38537

for any frequently asked questions on DIY or anything else for that matter, the mods usually "sticky" the information at the top of the page.

have fun!

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote