Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
Pinchlite

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
Removing paneling back hatchback permanently

This stuff is starting to rattle lately and was thinking of removing as to solve the annoying noise permenently.I was wondering if road noise would be greatly louder?

I was also considering drilling hole/s and filling with expansion foam to eliminate panel rattles.

I find it extremly annoying and it drives me bloody nuts and angry.

P.S I dont care what the interior looks like as long as no rattles are present.

P.S#2 its not the hatchback door or tirecover or whats underneath 100% sure.
Pinchlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
plastic hatch panel Yaris loose rattles clips claws

broken stretched missing clips or claws? anywhere can put somefer screws?
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Pinchlite

I was thinking of that.I may get some really long screws with big washers and screw panels down tight.I will be removing panels totally tomorrow to see what and where to drill holes into metal for screws.I couldint care less how it looks aslong as the noise stops.Its to the point where I dont even want to drive the car its that annoying.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Run foam tape all around the perimeter of the panel and reinstall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foam tape.jpg (115.2 KB, 191 views)
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:50 AM   #5
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
I just happen to have a roll of that around,maybe 1/2'' thick and fairly wide.I will do that and then fasten down with screws.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Alain93

Drives: Yaris 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
I just happen to have a roll of that around,maybe 1/2'' thick and fairly wide.I will do that and then fasten down with screws.
Take pics if you can, thanks :)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Alain93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain93 View Post
Take pics if you can, thanks :)

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
Didnt help any.I will be removing every piece of plastic this weekend to see if noise goes away.If it does then I will leave all the plastic out and consider it fixed.I dont care how the back interior looks as long as the car is drivable without going crazy with rattling.

The road noise may be louder but that does not annoy me.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 AM   #8
Pinchlite

plasticky rattle update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Removing panels and test driving did not help.Not side panels for sure.However if I close tailgate oneclick,not totally locked down there is no rattle.The sound is definitly plastic on plastc or metsl on plastic.

I think it is the tailgate hinges or something else.I took panel off tailgate door and looked inside for tattles but could not find anything.

I drive with door not totally locked down for know and much more pleasant.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
dogsridewith

yarid hatchback hatch rattle buzz noise

that's odd. what else is there? might try driving w/o hatch struts? is latch mechanism now a possible source? (the lamp switch it contains is a mystery to me...was looking for a way to mod to switch off lamp w/ hatch open, then found a 1w LED bulb and quit concern for it.)
Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinchlite View Post
However if I close tailgate oneclick,not totally locked down there is no rattle.The sound is definitly plastic on plastc or metsl on plastic.
Check the hatchback lift strut mounts. There is an issue with them breaking on the older hatchbacks. Mine broke on the right side and I used a fix that I found on the forum. Left side is starting to go, spot welds are stretching and the hatch lift strut hits up against the body of the car and rattles like crazy. Only solution I found for the time being until they snap off is to put a gob of silicone grease.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=strut+mount
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
For a guy with what I would consider having mild OCD, I never trip on the squeaks and creaks cars make. I guess I just assume that moving down the road at +75 mph, stuff is always going to move around. I would expect less in a more expensive car, but I guess I just accepted it when buying a Yaris.

Having said that, ten years in and I don't find my Yaris making all that much noise. Mostly the back spare cover when going over really rough terrain, as well as little bit of bouncing from that big hard plastic dash.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM   #12
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
Check the hatchback lift strut mounts. There is an issue with them breaking on the older hatchbacks. Mine broke on the right side and I used a fix that I found on the forum. Left side is starting to go, spot welds are stretching and the hatch lift strut hits up against the body of the car and rattles like crazy. Only solution I found for the time being until they snap off is to put a gob of silicone grease.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=strut+mount
The right side one does kinda click sound when wiggling back forth.The mounts are rock solid though.The seal must be worn?

This could be the problem as it kinda makes the sound I am hearing.It would sound different with hatch closed of couese.It aslo explains why I dont hear it when hatch is up,or decoupled.Would this be good for 50 bucks canadian?

https://www.amazon.ca/TOYOTA-2005-20...e+lift+support

Last edited by Pinchlite; 07-22-2017 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
For a guy with what I would consider having mild OCD, I never trip on the squeaks and creaks cars make. I guess I just assume that moving down the road at +75 mph, stuff is always going to move around. I would expect less in a more expensive car, but I guess I just accepted it when buying a Yaris.

Having said that, ten years in and I don't find my Yaris making all that much noise. Mostly the back spare cover when going over really rough terrain, as well as little bit of bouncing from that big hard plastic dash.
I have went over entire car and solved every rattle in the car,dash,doors and my back cover does not rattle or move period.I modded the back by scrrewing down the back containers that are beside the spare tire and the rear seats are complety removed along with all seat belt hardware.This started about 2 weeks ago.I drive with door not locked down,single click and problem is gone.I also have nothing unsecured in the car or loose.I cant stand any noises as it drives my absolutely nuts.The only thing that rattles slightly is the front windows over rougher bumps when slightly rolled down but that I can live with.
Old 07-22-2017, 06:21 AM   #14
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
that's odd. what else is there? might try driving w/o hatch struts? is latch mechanism now a possible source? (the lamp switch it contains is a mystery to me...was looking for a way to mod to switch off lamp w/ hatch open, then found a 1w LED bulb and quit concern for it.)
Lamp switch??I modded my back with toggle and led bar.Super bright as the stock was useless.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #15
dogsridewith

Hatch strut

I replaced one hatch strut. Under 30. USD w/ short wait at a local Advanced Auto Parts. (Toyota parts counter guy said "It's expensive" before looking up--140.) Looks just like original. (I think brand is OEM?) left and right same part #, but different # for rear wiper cars. Existing struts marked L and R. (so the rod is rotated right for quick assembly?)
Old 07-22-2017, 11:45 AM   #16
Pinchlite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
I replaced one hatch strut. Under 30. USD w/ short wait at a local Advanced Auto Parts. (Toyota parts counter guy said "It's expensive" before looking up--140.) Looks just like original. (I think brand is OEM?) left and right same part #, but different # for rear wiper cars. Existing struts marked L and R. (so the rod is rotated right for quick assembly?)
Not hatch strut rattling afterall.When fully compressed with door closed there is no way for it to rattle.Back door panel is off and inspected.On the bottom middle of door is a latch assembly silver in metal parts.This mechanism is loose but is desighned this way.Again its a plsatic on metal noise or plastic on plastic.I have driven with all plastic removed and still noise.I will have to tear down entire back removing everything except what keeps the car running to see what it is.Its enough to make me want to sell car and never buy a yaris again.I really cant drive it and dont unless absolutely necessary.And when I do I unlatch/decouple the door latch and drive it like that.I may have to take to dealer and see if they can find the issue.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #17
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Check these two points. Mounts can feel sold but if not completely flush against the liftback, the strut will rub against the body when closed (I used rubber pads to stop the rubbing but the struts tore right through them). You'll see wear marks on the body. There's only a small amount of clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hatchmount.jpg (52.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170722_104023.jpg (74.9 KB, 117 views)
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #18
dogsridewith

corolla drivers door hinge rattle like yaris hatch?strut balls sockets

what about the bit of play between the four balls and the four sockets of the two struts? post said hinges were checked. one looks a bit rusty dry. a hinge rattle got me to do front struts and LCA ball joints on my 91 Corolla, but last rattle is still there...75 % sure it is driver's door hinge(s)...only door that can be moved up and down a bit when opened(by lifting up and down at the latch end of the door). in fact, could make rattle go away by holding door open a few inches.
what about play somewhere inside a hatch strut? with as much as has been done tracing this, why not some driving w/ no struts. Warning! Something like a broomstick handle will get used here to hold the hatch open (as with replacing one weak strut). If it slips out at the wrong time, the hatch could crush a hand or head or something.

Last edited by dogsridewith; 07-22-2017 at 06:11 PM.