Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-26-2007, 02:11 PM   #1
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
Unhappy turn signals blinking fast

i decided to remove my front turn signals today, they were blinking fine at regular speed prior

then when i put them back, it's blinking faster...very ricey...like they are on crack speed

did i blow some kind of regulator fuse?
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I think its a warning thing--to let you know you have a bulb out (or going out) somewhere and you need to replace it.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
manborn
are u still 34/39?

looks like this is what it is...

http://www.f150online.com/forums/arc...p/t-41957.html
Quote:
F150Y2K
09-04-2000, 02:23 PM
This is what an installation guy told me and it made sense. Our trucks will have a fast blinker or a blinker that will stay on when a bulb is out. This even happens when one of the fillaments on the 3157 bulb goes out as well. It's asking for less power, therefore indicating to the computer that it is blown out. Well since the LED Bulbs use less power, they're requesting less power and the computer they're connected to thinks they're blown out. I still have to try it, but I think that if I put a regular 1157 Bulb it should work fine, I'll let you know.

Anybody else with any information on this, please let us know.
first time i put led on the rears, the computer did not sense it. as soon as i put some on the front, then it started blinking faster. removed battery and just left the rears, still blinks fast. the computer was sensitive this time around as it should be(don't know why it didn't do it when i 1st put the rears). i tried just the fronts, still blinked fast. now i'm back to stock.

but i might just do what it says below since i want led so bad (something about how they blink, the slower the better)

Quote:
GIJoeCam
09-04-2000, 10:11 PM
What happens in a standard or heavy-duty bi-metallic flasher is that when a bulb burns out, it doesn't draw enough current to heat up the contact and cause the contact to open. (i.e. the signal doesn't flash) When you connect an extra load, the current thru the flasher increases (e.g. when pulling a trailer wired directly into the taillignt circuit or when there is a short in the wiring) and the flasher flashes really fast. That is exactly what is exactly what is happening to yours... the decreased resistance iscausing an increased current through the flasher, causing it to blink too fast.

Solutions... My best suggestion is to find a Murray's Auto Store in MI and get a electronic flasher It will flash the same speed whether there is 3 or 30 lights on the circuit. The problem with this is then you are allowing extra current through the wires... Not a good idea. My best suggestion is to go to radio shack and buy a 4 ohm resistor that can handle the current draw needed to run the light... it might take some trial and error, but by bringing the resistance back up, you decrease the current through the flasher and slow the blinking.

Let us

Last edited by manborn; 08-26-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:35 PM   #4
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
I had that happen in a Toyota truck I owned, turns out I tweaked the flasher thingy in the fuse box (sorry for the technical jargon ). By twisting it around lightly, I was able to slow them back down. Doesn't sound like that's your problem, but maybe?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Dont you have the HiLED rear signal LEDs?

I removed my prototypes Bob@HiLEDs sent me, after they did the same thing.. let alone were not even brighter then the stock halogens.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #6
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
load resistor?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
Dont you have the HiLED rear signal LEDs?

I removed my prototypes Bob@HiLEDs sent me, after they did the same thing.. let alone were not even brighter then the stock halogens.
i'm pretty sure they are not prototype but they are still blinking fast. i have to check with Bob@hileds if he can do something coz really it started happening when i installed the fronts but even after putting just the rear still no luck. originally i put the rears in and they didnt blink fast but now it doesnt matter. regardless what combination i install, they just blink fast. except, except if i use hazards but simple turn signals blink fast.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

I didnt say yours were prototype. I said when i tested them, which was over 6 monyhs ago, my prototypes sent for testing caused this issue. Bob has said since then, they were building a load resistor into the bulb itself.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
vacantj

Drives: Yaris 4Dr sedan
I think you neeed a LOAD BALANCER KIT - this place sells them

http://www.spiderlite.com/storeX2.html
vacantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB View Post
I didnt say yours were prototype. I said when i tested them, which was over 6 monyhs ago, my prototypes sent for testing caused this issue. Bob has said since then, they were building a load resistor into the bulb itself.
if i have the load resistor then it's not working. i haven't heard from him yet
Old 08-27-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantj View Post
I think you neeed a LOAD BALANCER KIT - this place sells them

http://www.spiderlite.com/storeX2.html
those seem great but now it's turning into an HID install kit for led convert, should be simple as wam bam ty ma'am. i hope hiLED will come thru with something easy
Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
deadworld

Drives: 2007 4dr yaris
one of your signals on that side most likley out, reason why your gauge and other "ok" signals blink fast is because less resistance when one load (being the blown bulb) in the circuit is out.
deadworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:07 AM   #13
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworld View Post
one of your signals on that side most likley out, reason why your gauge and other "ok" signals blink fast is because less resistance when one load (being the blown bulb) in the circuit is out.
not really. i just put back all my stocks and all is well. the hiLEDs are just collecting dust.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #14
manborn
are u still 34/39?

hileds recommended these led flashers but has any1 installed these already before(see attached) and where do they go? where can i buy some that are specified for sedan? i saw a couple but for european cars
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flasher_relay3.jpg (9.4 KB, 133 views)
Old 09-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

you wont find a part specific for your car... its an electrical part.

im sure bob can walk you thru the simple hookup if you so needed.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:52 AM   #16
manborn
are u still 34/39?

led flasher from autolumination.com fixed my problem

for those u want to buy it, it's item #: CF 18 ALT

just had to cut some extra tabs that the CF 18 ALT had, plug and play. 1st removed compartment by left knee for easy access to main ECU