Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Dirt Road / Off Road Yaris

Some years ago, and I forget what triggered the idea, I had decided to pursue the idea of taking the Yaris off road. Was it a bad idea? Maybe. Depends on who you ask. Was it a crazy idea? It might still be! Is it possible? Very much so.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't looking to do some crazy rock crawling. No, the Yaris has it's limitations (provided you don't want to do some crazy 4x4 conversion). I was mainly looking to take the little guy off the paved road and onto some dirt roads. To tackle some "mild" off road trails. I wanted to go off into some remote areas that didn't necessarily require a 4x4, or even a high clearance vehicle.

The idea of having a minor lift, some all terrain tires, coupled with the fuel efficiency of the Yaris, made it an idea worth pursuing to me.

There are no "lift kits" readily available, so that is the first challenge. Small all terrain tires are not readily available, even less so on a 15" wheel.

CTScott has already proven that Yaris owners CAN be creative, and can have a pretty aggressive little Yaris. He's got a good size lift in the front (I believe his is 4") and some mean looking tires.

At this point in time, I took my Yaris back to stock springs, but upgraded the shocks to the Tokico HTS (reds) for the adjustability and because it has a softer-than-stock setting! I figured this would come in handy if I wanted to pick up some speed over some sections of the trails. In testing, this turned out to be correct. I easily outran my friend in his heavily modded 4-Runner!

Specs:
2008 Toyota Yaris - 3dr liftback
Engine: stock with K&N filter in stock box
Trans: stock
Shocks: Tokico HTS
Springs: Stock with Firestone airbag helpers in rear
Wheels: Honda Civic HX 14x5.5, et 45 with spacers in front
Tires: 195/75-14 BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
Brakes: stock
Exhaust: stock
Other: Tow hitch receiver for the bike rack

Some short videos of my initial day out for some testing:

Short Vid - Easy Trail

Trying to go up rutted hill. NO CAN DO!

Finishing the Trail - Just casual drive

Last edited by justjesus; 11-09-2015 at 12:53 PM.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote