Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
I had this happen to me last night. 2 bars left on my gas gauge and ran out of gas on the highway. I have always been able to drive at least a half hour on the blinking bar. I've never ran out of gas with this car. I was very surprised it happened on 2 bars.

My friend, however, works with a woman who's daughter also owns a Yaris and had this same thing happen to her.

My suspicion would be the fuel level sending unit (floater part) was either froze or seized up. Someone mentioned condensation getting into the fuel tank if you let it go low often, which I do. This could be how it froze. Just a theory.

I also think it's ridiculous to expect people to watch their odometer because they can't rely on their gas gauge. Why is it even in the car if you can't rely on it?

So to the original poster, no, she's not the only one to have this happen.
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
==============================
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #20
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.dollimount View Post
I had this happen to me last night. 2 bars left on my gas gauge and ran out of gas on the highway. I have always been able to drive at least a half hour on the blinking bar. I've never ran out of gas with this car. I was very surprised it happened on 2 bars.

My friend, however, works with a woman who's daughter also owns a Yaris and had this same thing happen to her.

My suspicion would be the fuel level sending unit (floater part) was either froze or seized up. Someone mentioned condensation getting into the fuel tank if you let it go low often, which I do. This could be how it froze. Just a theory.

I also think it's ridiculous to expect people to watch their odometer because they can't rely on their gas gauge. Why is it even in the car if you can't rely on it?

So to the original poster, no, she's not the only one to have this happen.
I fill my tank when it registers half full. Its INSANE to wait for two bars. As you guys are finding out, technology aint all its cracked up to be. The younger generation is besotted with electrical devices and thinks life is just too cool to worry their lazy butts. CYA people! Have you ever heard that expression?! There is another reason to fill up early. Driving around with a nearly empty tank encourages water condensation in there. Frozen gas lines and FI problems are the likely results.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
echaru
PsychMobile

Drives: '10 Yaris 5Dr Blazing Blue
Sounds like this is the way Toyota try to make you think Yaris uses less gas, by throwing off the guage.
echaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #22
40oz

Drives: 240sx want a yaris
thanks guys for letting me know. I thought I was the only one. When I get some time I'm going to let the dealership know and see what they say. Infact this happened to me again.

The second time I didn't run out of gas but I borrowed the yaris and it was already at 2 bars ( of course it would be, right before my mom lets me drive the yaris). So I be nice and fill the full tank for her. I look at the meter and it says I just filled up 11.323 gallons and still having 2 bars.

I guess it wasn't just a one time thing. I'm going to dealership next weekend when I have more free time. Meanwhile I'll tell my mom, who drives the yaris dd, to fill the tank at 3 bars.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #23
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
I fill my tank when it registers half full. Its INSANE to wait for two bars. As you guys are finding out, technology aint all its cracked up to be. The younger generation is besotted with electrical devices and thinks life is just too cool to worry their lazy butts. CYA people! Have you ever heard that expression?! There is another reason to fill up early. Driving around with a nearly empty tank encourages water condensation in there. Frozen gas lines and FI problems are the likely results.
Filling up at 2 bars vs 4 bars will have no negative consequences. Driving around on flashing bars for miles probably isn't smart, but you're being a little overcautious.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #24
40oz

Drives: 240sx want a yaris
sorry for late update but I thought I'd update anyways for the folks outside of warranty. To be honest I just got back from the dealer today for this problem.

For my case it happened that the fuel sender unit/ fuel sender gauge assembly to be the culprit.

The fuel sender unit is connected to the fuel pump and I was told you gotta remove the rear seat to get to it.

Other fuel gauge malfunction symptoms can be because of the harness or connectors. So if your symptoms are different its gonna need a proper diagnosis.
40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:07 AM   #25
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
When your car is in Warranty. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed. That's part of the big price drop for driving it off the lot New.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #26
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
Filling up at 2 bars vs 4 bars will have no negative consequences. Driving around on flashing bars for miles probably isn't smart, but you're being a little overcautious.
I have a pilots lisence. And ride motorcycles. You always have to think "What could happen?" And "What am I going to do about it?" Like if you drive around with an empty gas tank, what if you have to go someplace in the middle of the night and the stations arent open? What if they dont have gas?Also, an empty gas tank is prone to condensation of water on the inside. So it will rust, get a hole in it, and in general crap up your expensive fuel system. So I fill mine up when its half full. Thats about every two weeks or more for me so its not a big deal.

I always think the worst. You live longer that way.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:50 AM   #27
bizzlebaby

Drives: 4 Dr 07 Sedan
i've never had mine run out of gas on 2 bars but funny thing is it has gone to blinking and then back to 2 solid bars before i had a chance to get gas. has this ever happened to anyone?
bizzlebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
AppleJacks716

Drives: 2010 5 Door
Sounds like they could be having a bad fuel sensor/relay. Good information, I'll think twice about letting the tank get down that low.
AppleJacks716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #29
Midnight Drifter
Going Retro

Drives: '09 Tacoma | '90 Tercel
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzlebaby View Post
i've never had mine run out of gas on 2 bars but funny thing is it has gone to blinking and then back to 2 solid bars before i had a chance to get gas. has this ever happened to anyone?
Were you doing a lot of cornering during that time?
Midnight Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #30
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
um, how about never allowing the car to go over 400km on a tank? Just to be safe.

There is plenty of evidence on these forums that the Yaris gas guage is anything but accurate or consistent. Relying on it is just asking for trouble.
This is ridiculous. The gas gauge is there for a reason, and should not malfunction. You should not, under any circumstances need to rely on the odometer. It's a sign of a huge problem is you are.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #31
carnageehw

Drives: 2010 Fusion Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzlebaby View Post
Yes it has. But it doesn't stay that way for long.
carnageehw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #32
zbouncer

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB 5MT
What is the point of driving an economical grocery-getter if you cant rely on the gas gauge...it is obviously a manufacture defect, take it to the "stealership" and get it replaced if under warranty other wise check the DIY section for guidance.
Live a little and drive til you have a blinking bar...the rush of adrenaline you get from living on the edge will make you feel on top of the world!
Life is to short to keep you eye on the "gauge", drive it with fun and safety in mind and you will enjoy your travels much more
zbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #33
Tom48

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch Back
Life may be too short to keep an eye on the fuel gauge. Not all gas stations are open 24/7. If you have to do an emergency run in the middle of the nigh and you run out of gas you might find out that life just ended. But screw it, the gas gauge should have been working. Hummm. good epitaph for the Tombstone. You may not be the one with the emergency.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #34
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnageehw View Post
This is ridiculous. The gas gauge is there for a reason, and should not malfunction. You should not, under any circumstances need to rely on the odometer. It's a sign of a huge problem is you are.
Anything that can go wrong will go wrong. You of course can do as you please but it would be best to remain in front of the TV.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #35
Forrest

Drives: 08 LB BLACK
Car has a trip setting. HOw about click it to 0 on a fill up. This way when it reads about half the normal mileage, just fill up. I always used the trip metter for oil change mileage. I think there is an A and B. I used A for gas fill up and B for oil changes.
Easy.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #36
bronsin

Thats what I do also. At 200 miles I fill up. No running out of gas that way...