Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
duendeverde

Drives: Yaris 2010 Manual
PCV Valve or bad head gasket?

Hey guys i noticed a little oil buildup on the engine in the passenger side. The location of the buildup is at front near the alternator and in the back lets say middle of the engine block

My car is running great, the only thing that comes to my mind is Synthetic oil, i started using synthetic oil 9000 miles ago (1-2 months ago) and i have read about synthetic oil (chemicals, etc) been able to infiltrate gasket crack

I'm also curious about the pvc valve, i have never clean it, in fact i was trying to find it, no luck at all :/
duendeverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If its not dripping after warm up with the engine running I don't worry about it.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
duendeverde

It's not dripping but i'm not waiting for it 2 start dripping, I want 2 change/or fix something quickly before something happens. I travel 100-150 miles daily
Old 12-13-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
The PCV valve is on the other side of the valve cover: back right, as you face the engine from the front. I've got a similar leak, but I haven't found the source yet.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
duendeverde

I bought an oil dye + ultra violet light. I'm planning on doing it monday and checking tuesday or wednesday. The feedbacks about the dye are really good since it will show you the location of the leak and from that point you can assume if the head gasket, bolt, valve gasket or another seal is the culprit

I also watch some videos on youtube about a head gasket test in which you buy a small tube and put it in the radiator, put some blue liquid inside the tube. The color of the liquid turn like green-yellow if monoxide carbon is leaking which means a blown head gasket (I don't know if this is effective)
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Clean your PCV incase it is clogged and causing a build up of pressure in valve cover.

I had the exact same leak when I reinstalled my valve cover after checking valve clearance of buckets. It didn't start until about 10,000km after I put cover back on. Checked the bolts in that area and try we're pretty loose. Tightened them an cleaned oil with brake cleaner. Haven't had a leak since an it's been 3,000km. FWIW I run synthetic and always have since I got the car 45,000km ago.

Safe to say it's not head gasket, likely a clogged pcv and/or loose valve cover bolts.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:44 AM   #7
duendeverde

Ok, will do today and i'm gonna stay with synthetic oil, its a lot more cheaper for me since i drive 100-150 miles a day, with normal oil that would be to much oil changes = $$$$
Old 12-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #8
duendeverde

Hey guys, i found the source of the oil leak, I don't know if it is a sensor, but is located upside the alternator, is like a long tube with a black connector. Any ideas if i'm right about it?

I'm trying to post a picture but the page doesn't let me, I think is too big the format (5MB)

Note: Never mind, i found the name camshaft oil timing valve, thats the thing that is leaking oil and from time to time is reaching the back of the engine block, i thought it was the head gasket but a closer look confirms that the oil is from the OCV

Last edited by duendeverde; 12-14-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Any chance of a DIY?
Old 12-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
tmontague

I have noticed some oil in that part of my engine as well. I haven't gotten around to cleaning it bit it hasn't gotten any worse. I'll clean it this spring and see if it builds up again.

I assumed it was from my valve cover when it was loose. Is there a seal around the OCV that could go bad? I find it weird that oil would leak from there unless damaged
Old 12-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
duendeverde

1+ DIY

....Apparently there's no seal from what i've seen :/ I cleaned it (just the outside) about 4-5 hours ago and a little while a touch the ocv, it wasn't clean, oil was beginning to build up through it. I haven't take it off yet

Perhaps i damage the ocv while changing the belt tension pulley :/ (the part that you have to move the alternator tight enough)
Old 12-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #12
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The OCV does have an o-ring seal on it. The DIY is remove the bolt with a 10mm socket and pull the valve out.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
duendeverde

Nice, will do
Old 12-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #14
mario98c

Drives: Toyota Yaris Sedan 09 STD
Quote:
Originally Posted by duendeverde View Post
Hey guys, i found the source of the oil leak, I don't know if it is a sensor, but is located upside the alternator, is like a long tube with a black connector. Any ideas if i'm right about it?

I'm trying to post a picture but the page doesn't let me, I think is too big the format (5MB)

Note: Never mind, i found the name camshaft oil timing valve, thats the thing that is leaking oil and from time to time is reaching the back of the engine block, i thought it was the head gasket but a closer look confirms that the oil is from the OCV
Eso es el sensor del vvti. Tiene unos orings que por eso puede ser que este liqueando. Metele un poco de silicon gris como un resuelve o ve a la toyota a ver si te venden los orings solos.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #15
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario98c View Post
Eso es el sensor del vvti. Tiene unos orings que por eso puede ser que este liqueando. Metele un poco de silicon gris como un resuelve o ve a la toyota a ver si te venden los orings solos.
Mario, le estoy cambiando las piezas full ya que lo compre usado, yo creo que yo mismo lo dañe al hacer presión para poner la correa-polea, a lo mejor le di
Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
tmontague

Hey Scott, is there a filter around the OCV for the 1NZ engines like there is for the 1ZZ's? I never thought about this part needing to be cleaned and now I'm wondering if this may be why there is oil around the OCV? Not too sure what else would cause that
Old 12-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Hey Scott, is there a filter around the OCV for the 1NZ engines like there is for the 1ZZ's? I never thought about this part needing to be cleaned and now I'm wondering if this may be why there is oil around the OCV? Not too sure what else would cause that
The filter is not around it - It is mounted into the block below it. The 1ZZs have two, where the 1NZs just have one. The leaking issue above is either a bad o-ring or a dented valve assembly.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #18
duendeverde

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
The filter is not around it - It is mounted into the block below it. The 1ZZs have two, where the 1NZs just have one. The leaking issue above is either a bad o-ring or a dented valve assembly.
In my case it was a dented valve, I put 2 much pressure unintentionally while tightening the pulley belt (newbie process xD)