Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #55
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
Replaced my Manual Transmission oil with red line approx 10,000km ago.

The old oil in the transmission was a shimmery sliver blackish sludge... for sure worth draining the old stuff.
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #56
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Wow.

Mine was very clear and had 22k miles on the tranny oil.

Shouldn't have been black sludge.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:39 PM   #57
Hard_Yaris

I bought the car and it had about 80,000km. I'm Sure the dealer did not change the oil at the recommended interval.

Had a Echo before with 200,000km before it was a write-off.... Great Cars!
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #58
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
I finally did this yesterday! ...after asking about it last year sometime... I have 57,000Km on mine. The stuff that came out of it was pretty dark; almost black. It smelled awful... I couldn't get the smell out of my nose for hours afterward. Anyway, down to the important part... it made a good difference. Especially putting it into reverse! And if it's true that it only gets better, I'm very excited! Unfortunately, I couldn't get any of the good brands that were mentioned throughout this thread and I was stuck with buying Motomaster brand. Fully synthetic 75w90 stuff. It seems to be doing the trick though. Anything that's better than before is good in my books.

Funny though, the last 2 times I took it into the dealership to get things checked, one of which was Tuesday, I explained how the shifting has become a lot harder to put into gear. Both times they had on the receipt, "Test drove, shifting normal for Yaris." Now I'm really tempted to give them a call and let them know how my shifting is now after changing that out. On top of that, before ever getting them to check it, I had called about it prior and asked about changing the transmission oil. The guy on the phone said there isn't anything for the transmission to be changed. WTF....

All in all, I'm really glad this forum is here. Doing my own maintenance is a million times better. It's cheaper, it gets done faster, and I don't have to deal with lazy people lying to my face.
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
==============================
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #59
fumoffu1089
I've made a post!

i just bought redline Mt90. Just wondering do I need to flush out the factory oil before refilling it with the good stuff?
fumoffu1089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #60
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
No, you don't need to flush.

Just make sure you do the change on a level surface to get most of the old oil out.

On another note, has anyone ever smelled redline's gear oil? HOLY FUCK!

That stuff is the NASTIEST shit I have ever smelled. And that is saying a lot because I was an RN for 7 years.
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #61
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Okay, so the NEO I had before, is crap. Made all my gears grind.

Redline Lightweight Shockproof oil. That stuff is a trump card in the hole.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #62
grimjuk
I've made a post!

Drives: 07 Yaris YRS Manual
Hey guys, I've been driving my '07 Yaris YRS hatch for about a week now, I've driven ~200 kilometres, and I've noticed that getting into reverse is a little touchy, and third is a little rough.

The car was at 61800k's when I purchased it, what are the chances the tranny fluid has been changed? Should I have a go at changing it? I have next to no mechanical experience with cars, what are the odds of something going wrong?
grimjuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #63
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Just ordered myself 2 qts for the change to occur soon. 30 bucks with shipping thru Summit. Seems like 25-30 bucks is what you pay to get it up my way. No one is an authorized retailer for the MT90 within 150 miles of me in the States.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #64
Kazimodo

Drives: Yaris 2007 3 doors
Well after all the warnings , I was expecting to have a fight
withthe fill plug , but NO , nothing , didn't have a 24mm socket ,
so I used a 15/16 inch socket , just checking for clearence from floor
to fill plug , without really trying and it came loose , same for drain plug
100,000 KM on Yaris , first manual trans oil change on this car ,
came out still golden color , no smell (compared to auto trans smell )
I put in the 75W90 semi-Synthetic
that I could find at Canadian Tire , blue bottle , it is GL4 ,
the other more expensive one is GL5 , no thanks .
I didn't want to run around town looking for Amsoil or redline
so I'll be the Ginney Pig with this oil .
I'll let you all know if any thing feels weird .
If it feels weird I'll look for Amsoil next change .
Kazimodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #65
bankrobber

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
No, you don't need to flush.

Just make sure you do the change on a level surface to get most of the old oil out.

On another note, has anyone ever smelled redline's gear oil? HOLY FUCK!

That stuff is the NASTIEST shit I have ever smelled. And that is saying a lot because I was an RN for 7 years.

All gear oil is like that after used. I drained the axles in my 3/4 Dodge in the Garage and the smell got into my A/C in the house. Just having the drain pan sitting on the floor
bankrobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #66
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
this is gonna seem like a stupid question but im thinking of changing my tranny oil..... its a 2010 and it only has 31,xxx km on it..... im jsut sick of the the grinding into reverse and i do drive fairly hard and feel a better quality oil would benifit. what do u think? is it worth it? i was thinking either royal purple or redline.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 AM   #67
soloecho2

Drives: 2004 Echo HB
Id go for the Redline MT 90.
soloecho2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #68
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Will do this soon, does anyone have the pics saved ( or is it just my computer that they don't show).

Second question is where to get Redline?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #69
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
i'm on Royal Purple now, and my gears still grind somehow, reverse still stuck on cold morning, first gear still stiff, maybe Redline next time and compare.
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #70
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
ROYAL PURPLE likely to be a GL-5 which is the same as the factory fill which causes the grinding and clunking into reverse . You'd want a GL-4 , like that of REDLINE MT-90 . Does make a big difference . Better shifting on cold days with MT-90 . Changing the gear oil is easier than a oil change . After the fill of the GL-4 , work through all the gears ( reverse too ) and before you know it shifting is a breeze .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 PM   #71
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
I called around, found a place local that will sell the redline MT-90 for $9.95 per qt. Going to do this this weekend. I've noticed since I got the car that reverse is pretty chunky if not a little grindy at times. Will try this. No problems with any of the other gears.

Going to have to buy a few things first. I've never seen a funnel like pictured in the DIY. I'm going to have to get something similar to put it in that side plug. I also don't have a torque wrench. A friend of mine that I work with who also works on motorcycles says 29 ft-lbs of torque is not very much. Just a slight muscle flex as your tightening it after its all the way on. (course he's a pretty big guy so that's relative) Should I buy a torque wrench just for this? Is the torque that important? I also will need to get some kind of pan to drain it into. Do i just take the used oil to wal mart or somewhere? It's probably a good idea to buy something to transport the old oil in rather than in the open pan in the back seat, heh. Goodness, this is adding up.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #72
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
this is gonna seem like a stupid question but im thinking of changing my tranny oil..... its a 2010 and it only has 31,xxx km on it..... im jsut sick of the the grinding into reverse and i do drive fairly hard and feel a better quality oil would benifit. what do u think? is it worth it? i was thinking either royal purple or redline.
lol..even new car can grind on reverse..you have to know a trick.. all you need to do is slap it on any forward gears before reverse..i use first or second gear then reverse and youll be grindless fro life unless ur synchro goes.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote