Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-28-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Yet another NST crank pulley install...

So first thoughts is you pretty much have to remove the lower bolt to the altenator. This like other memebers experience was increadibly hard. I would advise using a 6 point socket not a 12 point as you will round out the bolt. And a really large breaker bar. Even with that i had a huge amount of trouble breaking it loose. Then move the altenator slightly. Just to give slack on the belt. Do not remove the belt. Then simply zip off the pulley with your impact and zip it back on till it stops turning.

Whole process from start to finish took 7.5minutes. This was with help of air tools and a rack.

I took it for a test drive acceleration from a dead stop seems slightly improved. From a slight cruising to hard accel there is a slight improvement. I use the word slight because its not earthshattering improvement. Most people who will do this mod may not even notice any difference at all. I mean really most people wil lnot be able to feel the diference beween a few more HP. But it all adds up in the end. Just light weight reduction. 1 pound here 2 pounds there dosnt do much but at the end when your 100 pounds lighter then yeah before and after there is a diference. I will try to post some pics later when i get home.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
you only got the lightweight pully? why not the 10% underdrive?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
gmodder
Riceman43

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3door
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
you only got the lightweight pully? why not the 10% underdrive?
That was gonna be my question to...Iam definetly going with the 10%
But waiting until i can afford the whole pulley kit from garm..Just anal that way if your gonna do it do it all...
gmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
is anything special needed to retension the belt with the underive pulley? Or is it still doable with just basic hand tools?

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
YarisSedan

Cause i got a good deal fr0om yaristar for a used one =) because he decided to get a 10 percen tunderdrive. But you only really need a prybar to retension the altenator. Sorry typos typing on my dell mini
Old 03-28-2009, 11:26 PM   #6
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^ohh, gotcha, then you could resell that one later when you are ready to get the 10% underdrive
Old 03-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #7
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
^ohh, gotcha, then you could resell that one later when you are ready to get the 10% underdrive

thats exactly what i was thinking. I wanted to try the regular one first. Plus i am still not sure what route i am giong with my mods. Plan to do the stereo later and dont really know if i want the underdrive at th emoment. Plus i think the gains from the normal to underdrive are very minimal.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
drifto

Drives: 07 5spd Yaris LB
Send a message via MSN to drifto
just put on my nst underdrive pully, and have to say acceleration is smoother and has a liiiittle more guts, downshifting is much smoother, and my idle is much more tame now. no problems with alternator charging etc as well. i likes it... great little improvements for a relatively low price and simple install even for a beginner.

07 Yaris LB 5spd
AE86 Corolla GTS 5spd
http://microimage.ning.com/
http://www.microimageonline.com/store.html
drifto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:20 PM   #9
at3GG

you out it on yourself drifto?

Tanabe Df210's
Old 03-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by at3GG View Post
you out it on yourself drifto?
I put mine on myself and it wasn't hard except when moving the alternator back to retention the belt. I broke something on my engine... Here's the thread I made covering my install but I think photobucket is being stingy about it's bandwidth again...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #11
at3GG

yeah all im worried about is retensioning the belt. I dont want to F-Bomb that up and have the belt go for a little trip whilst on the highway lol

Tanabe Df210's
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #12
Yariz
Banned

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
So first thoughts is you pretty much have to remove the lower bolt to the altenator. This like other memebers experience was increadibly hard. I would advise using a 6 point socket not a 12 point as you will round out the bolt. And a really large breaker bar. Even with that i had a huge amount of trouble breaking it loose. Then move the altenator slightly. Just to give slack on the belt. Do not remove the belt. Then simply zip off the pulley with your impact and zip it back on till it stops turning.

Whole process from start to finish took 7.5minutes. This was with help of air tools and a rack.

I took it for a test drive acceleration from a dead stop seems slightly improved. From a slight cruising to hard accel there is a slight improvement. I use the word slight because its not earthshattering improvement. Most people who will do this mod may not even notice any difference at all. I mean really most people wil lnot be able to feel the diference beween a few more HP. But it all adds up in the end. Just light weight reduction. 1 pound here 2 pounds there dosnt do much but at the end when your 100 pounds lighter then yeah before and after there is a diference. I will try to post some pics later when i get home.

Thanks, this is what I needed to know. I just have regular hand tools, and I was not able to pop it off. I will attack it differently now. Thanks for the update. Also, the moving of the DIY, has made it a pain in the ass to find info on this. Thanks guys!
Yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #13
Yariz
Banned

It would be nice if someone would put a list of exact sizes of the sockets you will need. With a list of suggested tools (HAND and AIR)
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ that is a great idea
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
Yariz
Banned

If anyone has the exact pulley DIY, please send me a link so I can d/l it. Not the site where u have to d/l a reader. That will not work for me. If you have a pdf PM me.