Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #1
OTB

Drives: 2zz MR-2 Spyder
seat upgrade needed-options?

Hi all, like most of you, I love my liftback, hate the seats. Thigh support sucks, seat bottom tilt is too flat (knees too low), and the general feel of the seat is a somewhat softened park bench. I'm only 5'8", so I'd like to stay somewhere near the oem height off the floor.

I want to replace the driver's seat (maybe passenger) with a nice sport feeling reclining seat, not a FIA race seat.

I've read the following:

1. installation of vw rabbit seat with minimal hole elongation necessary. any more info on this? are there non-electric ones?

2. tilting stock seat with washers - didn't work for me, any more than one washer and there is no way to start the bolts. I sat in it with 3/4" rise on the front mounts, and the thigh support is still too short. the angle was a little nicer

3. race seat, or "race" seat installation. In a single post, I've heard people say "weapon r was way too short" "weapon r was too tall". I'm sure this is a combination of bracket, seat, and bottom mount vs side mount. It looks like brackets can be had from planted, weapon r, corbeau, and wedge (sparco).

If you guys have experience with a good supportive mechanical recline seat (or seat/bracket combo) that I can set up similar to oem seat height, I would really appreciate it.

I don't necessarily mind a reclining racer style seat, but just a good sporty seat would be fine. For example, the seats in a bottom of the line 2006 honda civic are great!

cheers
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
Have you tried the RS seats..... i dont believe i have ever seriously tested the stock yarii seats and personally dont have many complaints with mine.

i believe there was a thread on here somewhere about either the Xb, Xa or Tc seats fitting very well into the yaris. im sure it would be quite expensive but damn would i love me a set of Tc seats.

Does anyone else remember the details on that thread?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
OTB

USA...

Very good idea. Very hard to find around these parts, unfortunately.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Very good idea. Very hard to find around these parts, unfortunately.
Enviri has a set in his that were junkyard ones off a Scion.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
ctscott can tell you how it feels :P It's a Scion XD seat. I paid 200 for both fronts at a local junkers. its more comfy, much better thigh support and actual lumbar support. It has all that side airbag garbage so it's all good. Since the Scion XD is basically a twin of the yaris, the seat rails bolt right in. only mod: switch out your passenger seat belt buckle lock...thingy [refer to image 2] with one from your yaris so that the wires plug right in.

only 1 person has my DIY for the swap in detail, that's kioshi..cause i texted it...lol.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #6
OTB

Rock on!

I appreciate that. Looking at the scion seats, they don't look like the thighs would be supported much different. Obviously, looks can be deceiving because you tried both, and the xd seats are good!

I'll see where I can find a salvaged xd in these parts (or swap seats with someone without permission and leave a note)

thanks guys
Old 12-12-2012, 01:20 AM   #7
enviri

lol just go to your dealer and sit in an XD before you buy the seat. :P
Old 12-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
Hi all, like most of you, I love my liftback, hate the seats. Thigh support sucks, seat bottom tilt is too flat (knees too low), and the general feel of the seat is a somewhat softened park bench. I'm only 5'8", so I'd like to stay somewhere near the oem height off the floor.

I want to replace the driver's seat (maybe passenger) with a nice sport feeling reclining seat, not a FIA race seat.

I've read the following:

1. installation of vw rabbit seat with minimal hole elongation necessary. any more info on this? are there non-electric ones?

2. tilting stock seat with washers - didn't work for me, any more than one washer and there is no way to start the bolts. I sat in it with 3/4" rise on the front mounts, and the thigh support is still too short. the angle was a little nicer

3. race seat, or "race" seat installation. In a single post, I've heard people say "weapon r was way too short" "weapon r was too tall". I'm sure this is a combination of bracket, seat, and bottom mount vs side mount. It looks like brackets can be had from planted, weapon r, corbeau, and wedge (sparco).

If you guys have experience with a good supportive mechanical recline seat (or seat/bracket combo) that I can set up similar to oem seat height, I would really appreciate it.

I don't necessarily mind a reclining racer style seat, but just a good sporty seat would be fine. For example, the seats in a bottom of the line 2006 honda civic are great!

cheers
You basically need to decide whether you want race seats like Sparko, recaro, etc or some seats from another car (junkyard dive)

For race seats you will need brackets plus sliders. I recently bought planted brackets which are totally awesome. If your seats have shallow bottom pieces, you can add smth as a spacer - lots of stuff that can be used in the home-depot.

With junkyard seats - you can pretty much use anything with origianal sliders that have flat bottom surface (bracked + seat with original sliders) - this is what i did (see my thread here).

Thanks to STScott / MI - no more issue with passenger airbag - just get their bypass module (50 bucks)

What is your question / problem?
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #9
enviri

oh right, i remember seeing a thread of someone having supra seats using yaris brackets.

Tags
replacement seats