Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Jfoofoo

Drives: 07 Yaris HB Meteorite Metallic
Is aftermarket HID kit legal (in NJ)?

Ok.. so I am getting hooked up by Chris for my first True HID kit.. I am all giddy about it.. so I was doing as much read up on HID kit as I can on the net.. than I found some people say the aftermarket HID kit are illegal? is that true? can someone give me an answer?
Jfoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 02:35 AM   #2
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
its true ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Jfoofoo

I can't seems to find an actual answer on this. Many sites I read up says it's illegal but they are all dated back 2004. Has the law changed since? How does a cop determine if your light is aftermarket kit or factory installed? If I can pass the state inspection with it.. does that mean it's legal to drive with it?
Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
jmew0ng

Drives: Scion FRS
don't some cars come with HID stock? like the maxima or prius?

I think it's just the intensity of the lightbulb that may be illegal or not.
jmew0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:58 AM   #5
johnnyfive

its the fitting of it yourself, and it being not fit with them from the factory that is illegal, not the lights themselfs

that is what hid bulbs can be listed as DOT approved, but you just cant put them in a car that did not have them from the factory

Last edited by johnnyfive; 09-14-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 PM   #6
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
its the fitting of it yourself, and it being not fit with them from the factory that is illegal, not the lights themselfs

that is what hit bulbs can be listed as DOT approved, but you just cant put them in a car that did not have them from the factory

yup I agree. check out Yaris H.I.D. retrofit under Photo Media. I did it with OEM H.I.D. parts. Parts that came off from cars like Acura tsx, and TL as well as BMW. I didn't slap an H.I.D. bulb into my headlight and claim its H.I.D. I had to retrofit it. Check out the pics under that thread.
sam07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Jfoofoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive

that is what hid bulbs can be listed as DOT approved, but you just cant put them in a car that did not have them from the factory
So if a dealer fitted for me does that make it legal?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
johnnyfive

probably not, but no dealer would :)
Old 09-15-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
Well, it's probably depend on your local laws. But yes, in most of states and in most provinces of Canada, aftermarket HID are illegal. I already take a warning from the cops for using some kind of HID Xenon filled bulbs on my car. They don't give me a ticket, but they told me to put OEM bulbs back on my car because HID and HID's style bulbs are illegal. And it's not hard for a cop to know than a Yaris they see on the road (cheapest Toyota car) are not coming from factory with HID! hehe.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:33 PM   #10
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
A system that is setup correctly, and not some ricey looking color like bright teal blue or pink (higher K rated HIDs), you will not draw unwanted attention and have problems.

Look around you, do you think all these cars you see, actually came with HID's? Cops dont carry a booklet saying which cars come with and without HIDs, in order to write tickets.

If they are positioned correctly, they will not draw attention as they will not be blinding or be a hazard to other drivers. Lucky for us, the Yaris puts out a very good cut-off pattern for not having projectors with the HIDs.

Yes I adjusted mine correctly, and Ill be damned if more cars that come STOCK with oem HIDs, blind the fu*k out of ME on the highway!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Yaris HIDs 009.jpg (36.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Nuxen H4 004.jpg (64.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Nuxen H4 001.jpg (44.4 KB, 231 views)
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #11
sam07yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB
A system that is setup correctly, and not some ricey looking color like bright teal blue or pink (higher K rated HIDs), you will not draw unwanted attention and have problems.

Look around you, do you think all these cars you see, actually came with HID's? Cops dont carry a booklet saying which cars come with and without HIDs, in order to write tickets.

If they are positioned correctly, they will not draw attention as they will not be blinding or be a hazard to other drivers. Lucky for us, the Yaris puts out a very good cut-off pattern for not having projectors with the HIDs.

Yes I adjusted mine correctly, and Ill be damned if more cars that come STOCK with oem HIDs, blind the fu*k out of ME on the highway!

Actually the Yaris headlight has an H.I.D. Ballast location as well as a classification which is a D4R H.I.D. bulb. YOu know how some headlights say H4, 9006 in the back? Well, I have to do some thorough research on why they have a Denso ballast location with screw holes as well as the D4R tag written on it. I think we will have a Prius setup.

As for the cops, they know if you have an H.I.D. kit thats illegal. BLUE LIGHTS, extremely bright and blinding everybody.
HID KITS are ILLEGAL if not installed correctly and its blinding everybody.

Since I did my retrofit the RIGHT WAY I've been driving mine for abot 2 months now on my Yaris and nobody has ever pulled me over. ;) perfect alignment. Anywho, I am gonna do another retro in the future but using TL projectors this time. Wait N SEE!
sam07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam07yaris
Hence the POINT of my post above... Also, if you look in the shop manuals, you will see the write up on how our headlights are designed to reflect from the diffuser, to the inside corner of the headlight assy., and not the center of the lamp. It mentioned about "hot spotting" the housing.

Your setup is the best way to go, Id love to do that as well. For now, this is a huge improvement, and it staying put.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
manborn
are u still 34/39?

Drives: flint mica yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris07LB

yah, just point them down. i dont understand why people install aftermarket HIDs to give u better lighting on pot holes a night but they position them UP, wtf?!?
manborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #14
jeff_o

Drives: 07 Yaris
Send a message via ICQ to jeff_o Send a message via MSN to jeff_o Send a message via Yahoo to jeff_o
i din't knew aftermarket HIDs were illegal... aside from the fact that if they are pointed a lil upward it'll blind inoming traffic... but why is blue headlights illegal? someone enlighten me.

i've read on some post that white lights are dangerous in rain than yellow lights because they streak up everything. is this true?
jeff_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
Actually the Yaris headlight has an H.I.D. Ballast location as well as a classification which is a D4R H.I.D. bulb. YOu know how some headlights say H4, 9006 in the back? Well, I have to do some thorough research on why they have a Denso ballast location with screw holes as well as the D4R tag written on it. I think we will have a Prius setup.

As for the cops, they know if you have an H.I.D. kit thats illegal. BLUE LIGHTS, extremely bright and blinding everybody.

Since I did my retrofit the RIGHT WAY I've been driving mine for abot 2 months now on my Yaris and nobody has ever pulled me over. ;) perfect alignment. Anywho, I am gonna do another retro in the future but using TL projectors this time. Wait N SEE!

I can get my hands on some Denso ballasts that have the Toyota name on them. Do you know if the liftback has the ballast location as well?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
sam07yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
I can get my hands on some Denso ballasts that have the Toyota name on them. Do you know if the liftback has the ballast location as well?
take off your headlight and check. If there is a rectangular placement then yeah. That's what I am going to do, BUT I am going to mod my bosch ballast it's intensity.
Old 09-30-2006, 06:32 PM   #17
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Quote:
BUT I am going to mod my bosch ballast it's intensity.
What are you going to mod your ballast for?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #18
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Better question is, how do you expect to mod a ballast?