Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
goku87

Drives: Black HB
DIY (08' USDM Liftback): ESUSE Fog Light Install v2.0

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY revnull PRE THE GREAT HACK OF '08
Survived through Google cache

This one was a pain in the ass to repost. Soooo mannnyyy picturessss!!! >.<
But at least it was saved so it could be reposted.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

First of all, I’d like to thank PK198105 for pointing me to Clowncar’s original post outlining this method of installation. It is far easier that the former method of running a wire through the firewall. In addition to the aftermarket fog light kit, you will need butt splice connectors, wire tap connectors, and the Toyota Denso fog light relay (Part# 90080-87026). The relay is very pricy from the dealer. I found one on ebay for $13 USD shipped. I have no way of knowing if this method will work on all models/years/geos of yari/vitz. If it doesn’t, see my other DIY.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician or an authorized Toyota installer. This is what worked for me. I am in no way responsible for you breaking, burning or otherwise destroying your car. If corrections need to be made to this guide, I will do so in my spare time. Feel free to PM me with suggestions/corrections/questions.

Note: While the stock Toyota instructions or not completely accurate for all generic installations, it was very helpful much of the wiring locations and bumper removal. Please use it as a reference.

The Toyota Guide

This is the box that arrived from an EBay seller in California. It's a respectable Taiwanese brand with a great OEM fit.

Remove the front bumper by following the Toyota factory instructions:

Layout the fog light harness:

Remove the factory inserts:

My bumper had some paint over spray that I had to peel off:

Slide the fog light assembly into the bumper slots:

Use the included screws to secure the other side of the assembly:

Plug in the passenger's side fog light:

Route the harness along the front bumper zip tying it to the factory harness along the way:

Secure the harness to the factory harness and plug in the driver's side fog light:

With a 10mm wrench, loosen the grounding bolt on the driver's side near the head light:

Attach the fog harness ground wire to the frame and retighten:

Just behind the driver’s side headlight, remove the cover to the fuse box. Route the harness from the bottom up alongside the stock harness:

Once the harness pokes through, pull all of the slack up. Don’t worry we are going to trim it to size:

The switch harness needs to be modified to function with the stock wiring. For the next step we have to cut out the red wire from relay connector. Clip the red wire close connector and pull it out:

I don’t know the “right” way to remove the white plastic connector. I just use a pair of diagonal cutters to snip off pieces until it fell off. When everything is said and done it should look like this:

Cut off the slack from the harness and use a butt splice to attach the new connector. Slide the metal end into either pin1 or pin2 of the connector shown below:

Put the cover back on the fuse box and reattach the front bumper:

OEM fit, gotta love it:

Pull down the hinged panel directly below the steering coulomb:

Remove the 2 screws that hold the panel on:

Remove the 2 screws that hold the kick plate:

Remove the screw near the steering wheel tilt lock lever:
[Picture Not Uploaded]

With the car turned on (power steering make this much easier) turn the wheel to the left and remove the screw:
[Picture Not Uploaded]

Now turn the wheel to the right remove the other screw:
[Picture Not Uploaded]

Turn off the car and pull the lower steering coulomb cover off:
[Picture Not Uploaded]

You will find the “D4” connector on the bottom left of the steering coulomb:

Pull the change cup out by pushing on the side. This will expose the fuse box:

Pull up the driver's side door rail and kick panel:

Unscrew the shift knob:

Pull up the parking brake and lift out the center switch plate. Push out the upper left blank:

Insert the new fog light switch and set the plate aside for later:

Use a 10mm socket to remove the bolt in the cup holder in the center console:

Lifting from the back of the console, remove the center console assembly exposing the factory harnesses underneath:

Now we must finish modifying the aftermarket harness. Cut the 2 black and 1 solid blue wire as well. The blue/green wire will not be used. Remove the electrical tape holding the end of the harness together. Once everything is pulled apart you should have black, solid blue and solid green wires left in the harness. Use a butt splice to reconnect the 2 black wires. (sorry I forgot to take pictures of the final modified harness):

On the switch side, pull down the harness cover to expose the internal splice of the 2 green wires. Cut the green wire closest to the black wire. You may need to elongate this wire with some scrap wire so it can reach it’s connecting point:

It should look something like this (except the black wire should still be in the harness):

Route the harness alongside the shifter:

Under the carpet and up the dash on the driver’s side.

Along the stock steering wheel harness up to the “D4” connector:

Connect the blue and green wires to pin3 (yellow) and pin4 (white) of the “D4” connector:

Run the remaining black wire to the left most wall and down to the kick panel. I coiled the slack and strapped it to the ODBII port harness in front of the fuse box.

Using a 10mm wrench, loosen the grounding bolt and attach the black ground connector:

Install the relay in the empty socket to the right of the fuse box:
[Picture Not Uploaded]

Disconnect the green/white cable from the automatic shifter assembly:

Attach the green wire (closest to the black wire) that we cut out earlier from the fog switch harness to the green wire in the factory harness:

That’s it! Now that our wiring is done we can test your new fog lights for proper operation and reinstall all of the interior panels. After reassembling the center console, plug all of the harnesses back in:

Push the switch plate back into the center console to complete the job:

We now have fully functional OEM fit fog lights:

Night shots:

Fog indicator light in the instrument cluster:

Green LEDs replaced with white:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
The following is a shortened converation later in the post regarding a fog light OEM switch LED issue that was discovered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revnull

I found a problem. I don’t know how I missed it. Basically, the aftermarket switch that came with my ESUSE kit has 2 internal LEDs. One for the backlight (fog light symbol) and one for the switch on an off indicator (square light). The problem is the square light stays on all the time, even when the car is off. It looks like I need to modify the switch internals for it to function properly. Any Ideas?

Aftermarket Switch Internals:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421

I wired my lights using this image as a reference, and the switch turns off when the car is off. Hope this helps!
goku87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
I'm glad you found this :)
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
AznGouki
Metsu

Drives: NCP91 ; E36
Awesome and thank you. I hope everybody else has their DIY's backed up and reposts them. This kinda makes me wish I saved it myself.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:18 AM   #4
chesterchester
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Great job!

If I install the fogs and the front harness up to the junction box inside the engine compartment, then plug in a relay in its socket to the right of the inside fuse panel and exchange the light stalk with one with the fog switch, is that all I need to do?
chesterchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
chesterchester
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3dr
Thumbs up Sweet!

Removing the steering wheel went easier than I thought. The new light stalk with fog switch works like a charm! Added the variable speed wiper stalk too. "Violins" step by step steering wheel removal guide was a huge help too!
chesterchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #6
revnull
Where did my stars go?

Drives: 2008 Liftback S
WOW! You rock!

Thanks for taking the time. I have re-posted my other DIY from google cache as well.

revnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
goku87

Quote:
Originally Posted by revnull View Post
WOW! You rock!

Thanks for taking the time. I have re-posted my other DIY from google cache as well.
No, thank you for posting awesome info!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
carnage08

Drives: Yaris 2008 3DR
Just curious, I got this fog light installed and wanted to double confirm... the bulb size is H11 right? As shown in the pics posted above? I don't want to take all the trouble to get my bumpers off just to see what bulb size it is... (as I wanted to upgrade it to HID xenon) Cheers.
carnage08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
goku87

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage08 View Post
Just curious, I got this fog light installed and wanted to double confirm... the bulb size is H11 right? As shown in the pics posted above? I don't want to take all the trouble to get my bumpers off just to see what bulb size it is... (as I wanted to upgrade it to HID xenon) Cheers.
Not sure. Ask revnull as they are the original poster of this thread.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #10
lilman717
Lil Monsta

Drives: Super White Yaris 08 Sedan
great job, but is the first couple proccess the same for the sedan, i cant seem to find the sedan DIY tread
lilman717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
So I installed a set of fogs from kargoboy that I got from Long. I'm having trouble wiring up the switch for proper illumination. My understanding is that the fog lamp image on the switch should only light up when headlights/DRLs are turned on, and the LED should light up when the switch is pressed down. From the switch I have 2 pink wires that go into one, and a blue wire with a red stripe. There is also a ground. What do I do with the pink wire and blue/red wire? I also used the method of using the OEM toyota relay. Thanks!
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM   #12
helphelp911

Drives: yaris
does my car need "power option" to make fog light work? in my car, there is no middle panel. No power locks and aux button
helphelp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:29 AM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm07yaris View Post
So I installed a set of fogs from kargoboy that I got from Long. I'm having trouble wiring up the switch for proper illumination. My understanding is that the fog lamp image on the switch should only light up when headlights/DRLs are turned on, and the LED should light up when the switch is pressed down. From the switch I have 2 pink wires that go into one, and a blue wire with a red stripe. There is also a ground. What do I do with the pink wire and blue/red wire? I also used the method of using the OEM toyota relay. Thanks!
Okay
The pink wire is power in ie take power from your park lights ,
there is 2 leds in the switch one will come on as soon as it gets power
the other lights as well when fogs are turned on .

The blue/red wire is power out signal

The black is earth

You can PM me your email i will send you the factory instructions
or you can spend another $70.-$80US and buy the factory Stalk with fog light
switch on it which will then take all this wiring away.
hope this helps
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Question:

There should be no need to thread wire from the engine compartment to the cab right?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:09 AM   #15
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
That is correct
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #16
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Sweet, thanks, I'll be installing some shortly.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM   #17
TickleTimeTim
Free Mustache Rides

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
got the oem fogs. Not sure where my purple wire inserts into and also what to do with the black relay box? If that's what the box with wires running into it even is?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #18
Creeper

Drives: Silver 2DLB Yaris
Send a message via AIM to Creeper
ok i have a new problem. I have just installed my lights. switch works perfect, i can hear the relay clicking when turning the switch but it seems that no power is getting to the lights. I got the kit from yaris universe and it only had 2 wires on the fog side. 1 is going to ground and the other is connected to pin 1. i have the switch wired up like tk's picture. any ideas what im doing wrong? do i still have to put wires up to the stearing column even if they are wired like tk's? or am i just missing a wire on the fog side?
Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote