Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
ONe

Drives: echo turbo
AWD/4WD convert my Yaris turbo

Hello! help needed, has it been done before? Ive seen the 3sgte with the celica gt four gearbox but thats a engine swap. maybe an easier way?
ONe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #2
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
You have been watching too much project Binky dude.

I have heard rumours that there is a Yaris derivative model in Japan (possibly the Belta?) which is basically an AWD Yaris. I think there is this niche in the Japanese market for "snow cars" which are used up in the high altitude areas in the winter. You could look into if you could import one.

Mighty Car Mods had a project where they did an AWD conversion on a Daihatsu Mira by using a wrecked Japanese AWD Mira and using the parts from a half cut and putting it into an Australian road legal Mira. In that case they actually swapped the floor pan between cars by removing all the spot welds and welding the AWD floor pan in and swapping over the rear diff, engine, gearbox, drive shaft and the wiring looms and ECU's. It was a huge job.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
bob225

Drives: Yaris
The Vitz did come in a 1.3 4x4, Good luck finding a GT4

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57031

There are too many project on youtube that make things look simple, unless you have buckets of money, equipped workshop and the technical skills you're dreaming

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL3...JNu0ACp9olaMUA
bob225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONe View Post
Hello! help needed, has it been done before? Ive seen the 3sgte with the celica gt four gearbox but thats a engine swap. maybe an easier way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
I have heard rumours that there is a Yaris derivative model in Japan (possibly the Belta?) which is basically an AWD Yaris. I think there is this niche in the Japanese market for "snow cars" which are used up in the high altitude areas in the winter. You could look into if you could import one.

Mighty Car Mods had a project where they did an AWD conversion on a Daihatsu Mira by using a wrecked Japanese AWD Mira and using the parts from a half cut and putting it into an Australian road legal Mira. In that case they actually swapped the floor pan between cars by removing all the spot welds and welding the AWD floor pan in and swapping over the rear diff, engine, gearbox, drive shaft and the wiring looms and ECU's. It was a huge job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob225 View Post
The Vitz did come in a 1.3 4x4, Good luck finding a GT4

There are too many project on youtube that make things look simple, unless you have buckets of money, equipped workshop and the technical skills you're dreaming
All of this. That said, I have a similar plan to import an AWD Vitz and put a 1.5L (turbo and/or supercharger) with a manual into it.

There are serious hurdles to overcome though:
* The AWD version is only available in automatic. The transfer case is integral to the transmission and would require a custom housing to mate to a manual gearbox.
* The JDM versions are all right hand drive. The firewall is almost certainly specific to RHD and will have to be replaced (the way MCM did with the floor pan) to get LHD.
* The driveline is designed for a 1.3L engine. Putting 200+hp through it will likely exceed the design intent and end catastrophically.

Don't get me wrong, if you have the time, money, skills and resources to make it happen, go for it! We would love to see it happen and there are lots of people can help you figure out the details.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
Simple solution.

Get a jeep. Pull the body from the frame. Lower yaris body onto the jeep frame with entire driveline present. When something hits, cut it out. Continue lowering and cutting until body sits on frame where you want. Start welding!

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
Simple solution.

Get a jeep. Pull the body from the frame. Lower yaris body onto the jeep frame with entire driveline present. When something hits, cut it out. Continue lowering and cutting until body sits on frame where you want. Start welding!
I feel dirty just thinking about such a union.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:45 AM   #7
JimHar
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
That's a Frankenstein monster I'd love to see. haha
JimHar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:59 AM   #8
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I'll do it one day! Hahaha

Believe it or Not, the wheel base is similar in length. Eyed it out parked next to my buddies girl's jeep lol

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd 4wd