Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #1
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,627
Thumbs up Motor oil resource for performance engines

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I stumbled across this website/blog after doing some reading online regarding lubrication of high performance engines. This is an absolute gem of information. For anyone who appreciates objective science based data without emotional rhetoric thrown into it, this is the website for you. Other resources like BITOG are somewhat useful but as with any online forum, it has becomes littered with rhetoric and opinion and it becomes hard to sift through it all.

This website give real world testing data completely objectively. This tests the endpoint of the oil and makes any specific ingredient in the oil irrelevant, in the most simplest way it just shows what works better than another oil.

It is written as all one blog post and constantly updated so you need to use ther control F function to find info on specific topics. To find his list of how various engine oils stack up search for " wear protection ranking ranking list" and you will see it.

This is the sort of data I geek out to and am always trying to look for so it is great to see someone do all of this work already. I will be going with a ow20 Quaker State synthetic oil for this upcoming track season due to this data. The only caveat to this info is that although you want to use the thinnest oil possible that offers the best protection, you have to be mindful of factory oil pressure specs.

Case in point: I thought my 5-8psi oil pressures at idle coming off of a 45 min track session (280*F) was too low and that I should increase from a 5w30 to a 40w hot viscocity oil (factory spec is 0w20). I was going to run a 5w40 euro spec oil for this upcoming season. I ended up searching the internet for Toyota's 2zr fe oil pressure specs and they are as follows:

3.6psi @idle and 22-58psi @3,000 rpm

I'm going to run a 0w20 with an excellent wear protection (quaker state) as I can get it on sale locally for just over $30 for 5L. This will keep the oil as cool as possible and free up the optimal amount of HP. I'll keep my eyes on oil pressure and if it falls below Toyota's specs then I will up it to a 30W oil and again to a 40w if needed. I doubt I will need to ever go above a 30w but I'm interested to see how pressures are on the 20w oil.

FWIW Amsoil's signature series 0w20 and 5w30 oils did the absolute best by a long shot, but to get those locally it is about $60 plus shipping to 5L. As the original author of the blog states - you don't necessarily need the absolute best wear rated oil, it just depends on how large of a safety margin you want to run and how hard you are pushing your engine.

The 2zr doesn't have flat tappets, it uses roller style tappets so it is relatively easy on oil so I personally don't see the need to run Amsoil oil and pay more than double. Interesting to note is that I was previously using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 during last years long track season and as luck would have it, it tests really well for wear reducing ability. This is likely why my UOA came back pretty good despite having a lot of mileage on it and very hard use with extreme temps.

Anyways, thought I'd share a great resource for anyone else who likes to nerd out to no bs real world hard data
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:01 PM   #2
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,289
Fantastic! I'll set aside a little time tomorrow to peruse the material. I may just have time during the day as we're expecting quite a storm. I agree about BITOG; lots of good info, but also a lot of pure conjecture. I look forward to the read.

I picked up a jug of PP 5W30 yesterday. I should have sprung the extra $4.00 for the Ultra, haha. Canadian Tire is slowly making its way back into my good books. I think they have been 'inspired' by Walmart to lower their prices on oil. Their sales are not too bad.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Megan Racing axleback, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
Brettguy
 
Drives: 5 spd MT,black ASA iwheels
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Miami, fl
Posts: 26
A+ information on that blog wow

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Brettguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #4
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Fantastic! I'll set aside a little time tomorrow to peruse the material. I may just have time during the day as we're expecting quite a storm. I agree about BITOG; lots of good info, but also a lot of pure conjecture. I look forward to the read.

I picked up a jug of PP 5W30 yesterday. I should have sprung the extra $4.00 for the Ultra, haha. Canadian Tire is slowly making its way back into my good books. I think they have been 'inspired' by Walmart to lower their prices on oil. Their sales are not too bad.
Yes, it seems Walmarts regular prices are CT's sale prices. Fortunately Quaker State can be found at either and is constantly on the shelves at Walmart for less than $30 iirc.

Pennzpil UP tested much better than the platinum on 540 rat's testing which is interesting because looking at the spec sheets between the two on BITOG they look identical.

Also interesting is how viscocity did not really matter when it came to wear. 0w20's actually seem to be the best from most oil manufacturers when compared to their high weight oils. Viscocity really only matters when wanting to stay within an oil pressure spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettguy View Post
A+ information on that blog wow

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Ya I was very impressed, can't believe I had not stumbled across it sooner
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #5
06YarisRS
 
Drives: 2006 Yaris RS
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Beaver Harbour, New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,289
"Thin is in". I did a fair bit of reading on the subject of viscosities. It's been speculated that for a conventional xxW20, there needs to be a substantial synthetic component. That's the rational I use for my NA cars that I run on conventional.

Quaker State oils are cheaper than the competitors but offer all the same benefits from what I've read. I think you'll be golden with QSUD.

When I put an oil pressure gauge on my old Dodge Grand Caravan (just because I felt like monitoring some params), I flipped when the gauge low warning light started flashing. Later found out that 5 - 7 idle psi was well within spec.
__________________

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE Swapped, Megan Racing axleback, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Edvs_TSGkY
2008 Yaris LE H&R 10mm spacers (rear), RS rear spoiler
2011 Kia Sedona LX
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #6
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
"Thin is in". I did a fair bit of reading on the subject of viscosities. It's been speculated that for a conventional xxW20, there needs to be a substantial synthetic component. That's the rational I use for my NA cars that I run on conventional.

Quaker State oils are cheaper than the competitors but offer all the same benefits from what I've read. I think you'll be golden with QSUD.

When I put an oil pressure gauge on my old Dodge Grand Caravan (just because I felt like monitoring some params), I flipped when the gauge low warning light started flashing. Later found out that 5 - 7 idle psi was well within spec.
For sure, after reviewing the data I would have no issue running conventional in my car if I lived in a different climate. The odd -25* mornings we get is the reason I pay a bit more for synthetic. Also by hitting 285*F oil temps at the track I appreciate the slightly higher thermal breakdown of a synthetic oil. That said I have no doubt that a 5w20 conventional that ranks high on the lists of wear performance would be a great bargain for most daily driven vehicles.

I've read through the full list of oils tested many are not easily found on the shelf in Canada but he did test Toyota's 0w20 and 5w20, it wasnt a fantastic oil, sort of in the middle with a moderate wear protection. QSUD is a much better protecting oil for at least the sake if not cheaper price.
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #7
suprf1y
 
suprf1y's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Echo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Waterford Ontario
Posts: 87
For added discussion

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/ar...treet-and-aut/
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
suprf1y
 
suprf1y's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Echo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Waterford Ontario
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I stumbled across this website/blog after doing some reading online regarding lubrication of high performance engines. This is an absolute gem of information. For anyone who appreciates objective science based data without emotional rhetoric thrown into it, this is the website for you. Other resources like BITOG are somewhat useful but as with any online forum, it has becomes littered with rhetoric and opinion and it becomes hard to sift through it all.
I saw this when I was on vacation with my wife so I wasn't able to read the whole thing without her getting mad at me

So I looked at it again today and there seems to be a lot of really good information there. This is no doubt a good reference but there is also no shortage of emotional rhetoric, and these are a few easy examples.

In the comments about synthetic oils in motorcycles with wet clutches he shows clear bias against the manufacturers, a misunderstanding of the real problem (it's not actually slipping but an inconsistency of engagement), and no factual evidence or testing. I know this problem well and his suggestion that stronger springs will fix it is incorrect. I have had to repair this problem on full race bikes and only fix is new clutch plates.

On oil change intervals, though there is some testing, he disputes it's validity in the name of anecdotal evidence, and 'insurance'.

When you make a point of being unbiased, then it's probably in your best interest to be unbiased for you to be taken seriously.
Just my thoughts.
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
I saw this when I was on vacation with my wife so I wasn't able to read the whole thing without her getting mad at me

So I looked at it again today and there seems to be a lot of really good information there. This is no doubt a good reference but there is also no shortage of emotional rhetoric, and these are a few easy examples.

In the comments about synthetic oils in motorcycles with wet clutches he shows clear bias against the manufacturers, a misunderstanding of the real problem (it's not actually slipping but an inconsistency of engagement), and no factual evidence or testing. I know this problem well and his suggestion that stronger springs will fix it is incorrect. I have had to repair this problem on full race bikes and only fix is new clutch plates.

On oil change intervals, though there is some testing, he disputes it's validity in the name of anecdotal evidence, and 'insurance'.

When you make a point of being unbiased, then it's probably in your best interest to be unbiased for you to be taken seriously.
Just my thoughts.
I completely agree with you. I finally read all the articles this past week and I noticed some emotional rhetoric in there.

What I like the info for is the oil pressure testing list and his discussion on oil viscocity. I find BITOG is full of people wanting to discuss oil spec sheets but in the end of the day none of that matters. What matters is how well an oil protects, period.

A lot of my colleges in the healthcare field get so hung up on mechanism of action when there is empirical data showing effect on a patient. The end result is what matters the most. This drives me nuts.
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #10
tmontague
 
tmontague's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hamilton Ont.
Posts: 2,627
http://xtremerevolution.net/expostin...est-data-blog/

And an opposing viewpoint for some good reading. This brings up a good point about specificity of a test
__________________
I like to drive a slow car fast...
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
***The Engine Oil Bible*** Hussain-Vtec Performance Modifications 20 09-28-2016 02:47 PM
A Mystery Oi'll Say! Yar Is Word Fuel Economy Forum 16 05-11-2013 04:22 AM
Finally Toyota starts cookin with their engines and trannies digitalrain Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions 8 10-04-2012 10:10 PM
Hmm my water pump failed again!!!! Could it be the pulley?!?! YarisSedan Performance Modifications 64 10-05-2009 09:32 PM
Underdrive Pulley ruimond Performance Modifications 17 01-12-2009 08:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.