Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2019, 05:18 AM   #1
SloMo

Drives: Toyota Yaris - 2000 reg
Timing Chain Question

Hi there,

New member here, proudly driving the Toyota Yaris for 19 years. It has 154,000 miles on the clock and generally runs smooth as glass, but over the last couple of months it's getting a little louder - not hugely - especially when it's idling, or just started.

Yesterday it was idling while I put some coins in a parking meter and the noise became so loud from it, I thought it was the air conditioning in the shop it was parked beside. I turned off the engine, and when I turned it back on, the loud noise was gone, and hasn't returned.

Does this sound like prep for a timing chain snap? Or if not, are there warning sounds before a timing chain dies? Is 150k miles a lot for a timing chain?

Many thanks in advance if you can help, I don't wanna lose old Bonnie Blue!
SloMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:49 AM   #2
alanwagen

Drives: 2015Yaris, Son's car, 10 Prius
Another thought is that your oil pump may be failing. Engines will get loud with low oil.
alanwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:20 AM   #3
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
When it's making the noise, remove the drive belts and restart.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
SloMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwagen View Post
Another thought is that your oil pump may be failing. Engines will get loud with low oil.
Thanks for that, Alan! I topped it up with some oil and it definitely sounds smoother now. Not that it was low on oil, but it probably required more...
Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
SloMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
When it's making the noise, remove the drive belts and restart.
I'd have to bring it to the mechanic for that - way above my knowledge of cars, unfortunately. But very encouraged that you don't think it's the timing chain. I have a morbid fear of this breaking when I'm on the motorway. Probably 150,000 miles is too soon to think about the timing chain?

Thanks very much for the reply!
Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #6
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
There is a possibility you have some partially clogged oiling passages in the engine and something isn't getting enough oil at low pressure from idling. I had a problem with my engine sounding loud and the occasional rattle from my timing chain (tensioner or the VVT) and what sounded like a very noisy lifter at idle every now and again. I ran some flush through my engine before an oil change and it hasn't done it for 10,000 miles. I guess some crud might have been blocking something after 160,000 miles/12 years.

Flush. Especially in older engines is really kill or cure though. I could just have easily have wrecked my engine and had to get a new one from the scrap yard.

Toyota timing chains are very very durable. I've only heard of a handful of cases of one going bad.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
SloMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg444 View Post
There is a possibility you have some partially clogged oiling passages in the engine and something isn't getting enough oil at low pressure from idling. I had a problem with my engine sounding loud and the occasional rattle from my timing chain (tensioner or the VVT) and what sounded like a very noisy lifter at idle every now and again. I ran some flush through my engine before an oil change and it hasn't done it for 10,000 miles. I guess some crud might have been blocking something after 160,000 miles/12 years.

Flush. Especially in older engines is really kill or cure though. I could just have easily have wrecked my engine and had to get a new one from the scrap yard.

Toyota timing chains are very very durable. I've only heard of a handful of cases of one going bad.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks zoidberg! It's due a service too, so I might ask the mechanic about that. I've gotten to the stage where I'm closing the windows on a hot sunny day to keep a keen ear leaning towards the engine noise! It's smoother now, but rougher than it was a few months ago. Negligible difference though. When you say Toyota timing chains are so durable, do you mean it may not need changing for another 100k, or so? Would I get some kind of warning before it goes, like a rattle or a stuttering engine?

Very grateful for all the help by posters!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo View Post
Thanks zoidberg! It's due a service too, so I might ask the mechanic about that. I've gotten to the stage where I'm closing the windows on a hot sunny day to keep a keen ear leaning towards the engine noise! It's smoother now, but rougher than it was a few months ago. Negligible difference though. When you say Toyota timing chains are so durable, do you mean it may not need changing for another 100k, or so? Would I get some kind of warning before it goes, like a rattle or a stuttering engine?

Very grateful for all the help by posters!
Timing chains typically outlast the lifespan of a car, with a few exceptions like Audi's 3.2L V6 which have a premature wear of the tensioner...

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk