Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2018, 10:46 PM   #1
Lightrfire

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Using a variable resistor (potentiometer) as a throttle switch for blitz supercharger

I have a blitz supercharger and I do a lot of highway driving. I didn’t like how the supercharger kicked on when I barely touched the gas trying to maintain steady highway speed in the low setting and the mid setting seemed to kick the supercharger on too late for my liking. For example if the low setting kicks on at 5% throttle and the mid is 50% throttle I wanted it to kick in at 15% or 20% so that when im on the throttle just maintaining highway speed it’s off and kicks on if I push just a little farther. So looking at the throttle controller switch I saw it was just a bunch of resistors. So I thought maybe if I buy a potentiometer I can fine tune the throttle switch like a volume knob on a stereo so i can control when the supercharger kicks on infinitely. So I bought a 5k ohm potentiometer and wired it up. It has 3 prongs middle wire is yellow and the other 2 are black and red. It works great and I’m really able to fine tune when the supercharger kicks on just like a volume knob. It’s a little sensitive (a small turn makes a big change) so maybe I should have went with a 3k ohm one instead but I just wanted to set it and not mess with it so it works for me. Just thought I’d share.
Sorry I don’t have a way to host pics. 😞
Lightrfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #2
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Nice! Are you sure it was a linear potentiometer and not an audio? That can make a big difference in the resistance change on one end. I ended up picking a value and just wiring in a single resistor on a key switch to make a "kid-proof" on/off selector switch.

If you measure the resistance of the ones on the board, you can use some basic algebra or Excel to find the slope and calculate the value for any throttle position.

Thanks for sharing!
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Lightrfire

Thank you cranky! The potentiometer I used was not for audio we use it at work for adjusting electric clutch strength on some machinery at my work. I was definitely considering just wiring in a resistor like you mentioned but I had no idea what value I would like it as which is why I went with the potentiometer. I remember awhile back I bought some electronic parts from you for my supercharger that I didn’t have. Still works great thanks again!
Old 02-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #4
leighaus

Drives: ncp13 echo/vitz 1nz-fe
Hey man I am from aus myself and have a dilemma with my switch having cracked through the pcb. I would like to replace it if possible with something like you have done here. I just ask what about the blue and orange wires coming from the controller to the switch where would I hook them to? Or is this in conjunction with the original switch?
Thanks so much for any help I am greatly appreciative.
leighaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 PM   #5
Lightrfire

Blue and orange are just for the led that lights when the supercharger engages. If you wanted to use them just connect an led. I didn’t care much for the light so I left it unconnected
Old 02-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
2bz

Drives: 2008 Yaris 3DR Hatch MT
FWIW. With a linear taper pot, if you turn the pot halfway, the resistance measured on each side will be equal. With a logarithmic (aka "audio") taper pot the resistance follows a logarithmic progression.

Once you figure out the resistances that equate to throttle positions that you want, you could also consider a SPDT switch with hard wired resistors for "normal" and "highway" modes. Just a thought.

Last edited by 2bz; 02-25-2019 at 09:46 AM.
2bz is offline   Reply With Quote