Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Why Mod a Cheap Car?

I've been pokin around... and I keep seeing "why dump $5k into a 10k car"... etc etc etc... Apparantly the consensus is, either buy a cheap used car (that was once expensive, of course) or get something that costs more than your mortgage and have at it... but how many that can afford those cars really mod em???

Although to some, the yaris is hardly "cheap" ... why do YOU mod a "cheap" car?

me, its because I can afford to! If I spent say $500 a month on a car... all I'd be able to do is drive it... and that $500 a month you MUST pay... if I'm a little short one month, I can easily afford my less than half that payment if I don't dip into the mod budget... or maybe that month I want to spend the $ somewhere else... or maybe that month I have some extra, then instead of being able to finally buy some neons for my expensive car, I can put a lip kit on my cheap one

Most importantly, the yaris with minimal mods looks hawt and is fun to drive, even if its a snail
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:12 PM   #2
kdctuning
The Nineth Coming

Drives: 2007 BB Yaris 3 Door LB
Send a message via AIM to kdctuning
Why Mod a cheap car? Just for the reasons you stated. I have seen a 600Hp Hyundai on the track, that was street driven, be put together for less then $25,000. Imagine that same Hyundai blowing off the doors of an Evo 8 MR (which I got to see first hand) or whiping a $60,000 BMW M3 in the bottom. The fun to mod a cheap car is no one expects it. If a Yaris hits the 300Hp mark and hits the streets, I don't think to many people are going to be ready for it. It is all in what you can afford and what kind of bragging rights you want.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 PM   #3
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
You got it all wrong. I am definitely that type of person who wonders why people feel the need to dump money in straight line performance mods.

The way I look at it is, why spend $3,500 on a supercharger that will give you 30HP when you can pick up a Fox body Mustang roller for $500 and buy a real nice used motor for 2k and run 12s all day.

IMO handling and appearance is where the Yaris has potential. Straight line performance in a car like the Yaris is pure ego. You want to impress others with the cars speed. Handling is something you can enjoy every time you drive the car.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
You got it all wrong. I am definitely that type of person who wonders why people feel the need to dump money in straight line performance mods.

The way I look at it is, why spend $3,500 on a supercharger that will give you 30HP when you can pick up a Fox body Mustang roller for $500 and buy a real nice used motor for 2k and run 12s all day.

IMO handling and appearance is where the Yaris has potential. Straight line performance in a car like the Yaris is pure ego. You want to impress others with the cars speed. Handling is something you can enjoy every time you drive the car.

CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
The better question is why mod a car at all? Some of us have it in our blood. We will mod any car we own because we are not satisfied with the stock form, no matter what the original cost may have been. A modified car is more fun regardless.
YarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
I have fun putting stuff like this on the car
I put a cai on my moms car is she ever going to race no
why play video games do you become rich or anything no
I can tell you if zombies ever come to my house I will be ready
My dad has a bmw but he loves driving his 64 beetle
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisGuy View Post
The better question is why mod a car at all? Some of us have it in our blood. We will mod any car we own because we are not satisfied with the stock form, no matter what the original cost may have been. A modified car is more fun regardless.
I feel the same way. I have to mod whatever I have.

You should see my Hotwheels case. I made targa top cars from coupes, put different wheels on cars and even new paint jobs.

The way I see the Yaris as it sits is that I can out drive the suspension. If I take a nice long sweeper the car pushes like crazy. The car needs suspension tuning bad. The suspension can't even keep up with 106 HP so I certainly don't feel the need to make it any faster.

I will say that I sometimes miss having the power my PT had. In the time it takes the Yaris to go from 50-75 the PT would be at 120+.

I wouldn't mind having that kind of power, but I realize that it would be impossible so I'm not even going to try.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
i use to do that to my hotwheels my dad would even make faster wheels and metal tracks so that dont warp outside
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
kdctuning
The Nineth Coming

Drives: 2007 BB Yaris 3 Door LB
Send a message via AIM to kdctuning
I am not saying straight line performance. I would rather be able to take a corner at 80 Mph then have a straight line monster. But it is fun to watch people drop their jaws when you screw ahead of them in an econo box. I live near awesomely winedy roads, and it is fun to have a well balanced car, but having a little umph is good also. One of the reasons I wanted this car is because it looks good stock. And with a drop and wheels, the better it would be.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:

I beg to differ :)

Around here... the only turns in the streets are at stop signs. I have to go out of my way to enjoy any twisty turns, which I still periodically do :). That being said, I plan to at least do some coilovers and some nice 15's... probably wont go into the suspension beyond that.

Increasing straight line speed, in my case, would be the way to go. Frankly, I'd like to just be faster than the average mini-van

As far as the mustang... very true... but mustangs are boring and very, VERY overdone.

I'd rather put $10k into the yaris to make it run 12's, then have a $5k 12 second mustang... duno, call me crazy :)
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisGuy View Post
As you said some have it in our blood, Modding is our crack, we just can't get enough of it, and do it ever chance we get.... definatly an addiction!
Old 01-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
I feel the same way. I have to mod whatever I have.

You should see my Hotwheels case. I made targa top cars from coupes, put different wheels on cars and even new paint jobs.

The way I see the Yaris as it sits is that I can out drive the suspension. If I take a nice long sweeper the car pushes like crazy. The car needs suspension tuning bad. The suspension can't even keep up with 106 HP so I certainly don't feel the need to make it any faster.

I will say that I sometimes miss having the power my PT had. In the time it takes the Yaris to go from 50-75 the PT would be at 120+.

I wouldn't mind having that kind of power, but I realize that it would be impossible so I'm not even going to try.
Accelerating at 50-75 mph isn't that bad when you do it in 3rd gear. The other day, I was full throttle on a long sweeper and the front end was about to brake loose (salt coated roads). I was in 3rd gear and coming up on the redline and all I need to do was ease off and maintain the revvs to complete the turn. I think chassis dynamic on the Yaris liftback is fine, but a good set of summer tires would be ideal to go with the good dynamics. And with the bigger tires, the 106hp shouldn't be enough to outdrive the car.

My old 98 Civic Hatch only had 103hp, but it had the kind of dynamics that totally out matched the engine...I've yet to come across a car that handle better (My friends Celica GTS on TRD springs came close). The old car had Tokico shock, Pro-Kit springs, wide rims and a bunch of strut bars to tweak the car's dynamic. I doubt the Yaris could be made to hand that well, but in stock form, my 5dr Yaris is already a little Jem, but could realy use some bigger shoes.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
Racheal

Drives: '07 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Racheal
i dont have a modded yaris nor do i plan to. but just b/c your car is cheap doesn't mean it cant be hawt - and not just on the outside, but under the hood as well. <3
Racheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
I see modding a car is a hobby, its a hobby to me. Keeps me busy but my wallet is wearin thin.....
Old 01-21-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
and at the end... It's all about what makes you happy.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote